WDW Named a Terrorist Attack Site

Dawn S

Orlando itself is always prime target for things like this. I went to WDW just a few weeks after 9/11 & being honest, I was scared to death to go & I did almost cancel the trip. I realized, however, that ANY place is a target for these looney tunes & I can't very well lock myself in some fallout shelter over this. When they started investigating the people responsible for 9/11, it was discovered that a few of them lived directly across the street from me & I panicked to the point of wondering if they had been booby-trapping the area. These kinds of fears are what gives them an advantage & while I can't say I'm not still scared stiff, I'm not going to base any decisions in my life on "what ifs". Of course, hitting a Disney park would hit this country hard, but so would hitting the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Wall St., the Space Needle, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Tower of the Americas, the Alamo, Kennedy Space Center, NASA, the Mall of the Americas, an elementary school, a military base, an apartment complex....you get my point. They've said that another attack is inevitable & they cannot forsee or stop it. All we can do, in my opinion, is hope that something else interferes with whatever plans they have, or at least hope that it will be minor, if not thwarted.

MGM WDWFan

Here's the deal. If these people truly want to hit WDW enough, then they can do it and they will do it. And quite frankly with the state of security the way it is at WDW, I don't think we can stop it from happening. The truth of the matter is that the one universal human "fear", which is death, has been compromised by religious fanatics who a) actually believe in a heaven and b) proclaim that such people who carry out such atrocities will be rewarded in ways that I'm not allowed to discuss in this forum. I'm not completely in favor of religion as an institution in the first place, but when you have weak-minded people being manipulated by bosses who are using religion as a pawn to cause people to welcome death, then you have a serious problem which we have not yet found the answer to.

Look at it this way. A man commits murder and is sent to the electric chair. Suppose he believes he will be rewarded for being a martyr. Doesn't the guy win twice? The guy he wants to die dies, and he gets all these women up in heaven. But the bottom line is that we have to find a way to stop people from killing each other. We have to find a punishment that is worse than death. Cowards can get away with quite a bit if we let them.

Anyway, the point i want to make is that since there's really not much we can do, we shouldn't worry about it. Live your life.

--MGM

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by MGM WDWFan
Here's the deal. If these people truly want to hit WDW enough, then they can do it and they will do it. And quite frankly with the state of security the way it is at WDW, I don't think we can stop it from happening. The truth of the matter is that the one universal human "fear", which is death, has been compromised by religious fanatics who a) actually believe in a heaven and b) proclaim that such people who carry out such atrocities will be rewarded in ways that I'm not allowed to discuss in this forum. I'm not completely in favor of religion as an institution in the first place, but when you have weak-minded people being manipulated by bosses who are using religion as a pawn to cause people to welcome death, then you have a serious problem which we have not yet found the answer to.

Look at it this way. A man commits murder and is sent to the electric chair. Suppose he believes he will be rewarded for being a martyr. Doesn't the guy win twice? The guy he wants to die dies, and he gets all these women up in heaven. But the bottom line is that we have to find a way to stop people from killing each other. We have to find a punishment that is worse than death. Cowards can get away with quite a bit if we let them.

Anyway, the point i want to make is that since there's really not much we can do, we shouldn't worry about it. Live your life.

--MGM

:sohappy:

I wouldn't worry that much about the water threat in WDW. Just buy Zephyrhills... haha, I'm goin' up this weekend, so if I get sick from the drinking fountain or from washing my hands in the bathroom, I'll make sure to inform you. (Not meaning this as a joke, I do take this seriously, but I'm not gonna let terrorists RUIN my vacation...)

Buzzforprez

Wish I could really say what I want to here but I probably shouldn't. It is most definitely a target. I would hope that we have learned to take off the kid gloves when dealing with these people overseas and on our own soil so as to prevent these things. I can't stand to see our citizen's crying over the detainee's rights. What rights should they have? What about the rights that were violated in the attacks of those that were lost or injured? How dare you do this to my country then hide behind our human rights. They are not human and should be dealt with as such. And to hear people complain about the security checks. This is being done to protect us all.
Support our country. Support our President. Support our government. Support our police. And support Disney.
Ok so I said a few things I wanted to. But I didn't curse. Family here you know. Oh yeah, where did all the flags go? Go out and fly them high again.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I would hope that we have learned to take off the kid gloves when dealing with these people overseas and on our own soil so as to prevent these things. I can't stand to see our citizen's crying over the detainee's rights. What rights should they have? What about the rights that were violated in the attacks of those that were lost or injured? How dare you do this to my country then hide behind our human rights. They are not human and should be dealt with as such.

Please remember that one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.
As some of youre countrymen in the New York and Chicago areas have been demonstrating for 40 years. Or do bodybags only count if the contents are US citizens.

europes lived with terorism for 50 years and we still go on holiday, perhaps this latest threat is more to do with political survival by G Dubbya, and his warlords than an uping of the anti.
But hey what has this to do with Disney.

Grim Grinner

The usual suspects....

*** europes lived with terorism for 50 years and we still go on holiday, perhaps this latest threat is more to do with political survival by G Dubbya, and his warlords than an uping of the anti.
But hey what has this to do with Disney.

Methinks that we've got a liberal here. Sorry to say this, but the attack on the US soil was due to Clinton and NOT any agenda put forward by Bush. Remember, if something happens, its sources and reasons are not immediate. This goes back to the previous administration. Study history and you'll see most Presidents in America suffer from the administration before them.

In the case of the 9/11 attacks, these were in response to a series of bombings that Clinton ordered on several training camps to distract attention from his own ardorous scandels. He went so far are to turn down Osama when (I believe it was Pakistan) he was captured.

Sorry, but I love to study politics. Both sides have their pros and cons.... just don't bash for the sake of bashing...

Truth be told- If you want to visit Disneyworld, go ahead. Cowering in fear will only let those who wish to harm our country affect us even more. Then they win. Besides, Disney isn't considered completely an american institution anymore. The company has parks around the world with more on the way. DL would more likely be hit, because it's in the middle of one of the most populated sections of the country.

NowInc

Before we get into a politcal war here...lets make sure the facts are straight. The US politics have less to do with the terrorism than you think..most of these acts are driven by RELIGOUS beliefs.

...and the problem started way before the Clinton administration as well...just an FYI ;)

alee4eva

Happysnapper.. i agree that europe's lived with it longer but the devestation to NY and my family personally was exponentially greater than what eastern europe experienced in the last 50 years... the middle east on the other hand---I can't imagine how theyre still functioning.

mej

I'm 36 years old - I have NEVER known real peace in NI. I have been personally affected by the death of people close to me and yet I live my life! I went to school, university, I teach full time, am happily married and have two FABULOUS children. For me to worry about going to WDW in July is like the pot calling kettle black!

Pumbas Nakasak

Methinks that we've got a liberal here.
No pal what you have here is someone whos done his bit for queen and country fighting the good fight regardless of the threat from terrorists, funded funnily enough by people in youre country. If The Prez's rhetoric is put into action by rights our marines should be in North America as opposed to Afghanistan. Luckily enough none of our present govt has ever served in the military.
I just wonder how far up Georges backside Tony Blair will dissapear if The Prez were to stop suddenly?

Happysnapper.. i agree that europe's lived with it longer but the devestation to NY and my family personally was exponentially greater than what eastern europe experienced in the last 50 years...
What has eastern Europe got to do with anything? If you mean western Europe, then for a single horific event yes Sep 11th is the worst however ask a Basque or a Spaniard how safe they feel or if their suffering is any less. If you wish to debate politics I am happy to do so, but didnt think that this was an appropriate place.

After all the point I wished to make was that there is always a threat of some form, I just feel youve got to live youre life regardless. Im just a little surprised and perhaps a little dissapointed that a few well placed words based more on deflecting criticism away from The Prez and his cronies have done so much to un nerve the population. That to me is just irresponsible.

alee4eva

I have been to spain, portugal, greece, and italy since the attacks. And the people there seem to have a lot of sympathy for what happened...and they didn't mention anything about living in fear there. They were more concerned with how we were holding up after such a horrific incident.

epcot71

Originally posted by NowInc
Before we get into a politcal war here...lets make sure the facts are straight. The US politics have less to do with the terrorism than you think..most of these acts are driven by RELIGOUS beliefs.

...and the problem started way before the Clinton administration as well...just an FYI ;)

well said-everyone sure loves the beat up clinton for things he had no control over(everyone sure forgets that he turned the economy around and made it the best its been for 50 years)-i was in the air force and had many buddies all over dealing with islamic fundamentalists-IT WAS NOT BILL CLINTON WHO MADE 9/11 HAPPEN.it is the fact that they hate americans and anything to do with the west and they hate our position in the middle east which was in effect way before clinton-

Hyperion93

Original Poster
Gah, I'm gone for a day and this thread get's 4 pages. Wh00t!
Well, back to the terrorism. NowInc is correct, most, if not all terrorist acts are driven by religious beliefs, not political. As you can see, Bin Laden isn't exactly a political leader....;)

Dwarful

Originally posted by epcot71

well said-everyone sure loves the beat up clinton for things he had no control over(everyone sure forgets that he turned the economy around and made it the best its been for 50 years)-i was in the air force and had many buddies all over dealing with islamic fundamentalists-IT WAS NOT BILL CLINTON WHO MADE 9/11 HAPPEN.it is the fact that they hate americans and anything to do with the west and they hate our position in the middle east which was in effect way before clinton-

Well in our part of the country we sure wont forget NAFTA...I cant count the factories and oil refineries that are now sitting empty since all our jobs went south or north...but hey we have the gambling boats~

Still we aren't letting anyone stop us from going on the 25th of May. We have been planning this trip for along time and we will have fun~ Sort of makes me feel like Clark Griswold...WE WILL HAVE FUN!!!!lol

Pumbas Nakasak

Just to clear up any misunderstanding.

1. My point about the Basques was that there is regular car bombs shootings etc but life goes on, regardless of the fact their greif is no less than anyone in the US after such events.

2. I have never claimed to understand the reasoning behind Sep 11th, personally I think its politicaly rooted buy people who are exploiting religious fanatacism, but thats a whole different argument. Anyone who has extreme religious / political beliefs is dangerous regardless of their country of origin. Oklahoma proved that.

3. I have a healthy disrespect for ALL politicians especially those eager to commit me and my mates to action but having never served themselves. Funny how the only Dove in the present administration is the ex soldier Colin Powell.

4. Maybe it was the over exuberance of youth that led to the gung ho comment about kicking butt. However you should be aware the butt you kick today could be tommorows allies. And in the murky world of today its difficult to know who youre real enemy is. Its not so easy to deal with an enemy that feels they have nothing to loose and seek death as a reward.

5. Someone commented about giving ideas to terrorists that is something that should be levelled at the media who are determined to use this for their own ends, and have streams of so called experts giving their ideas. Nothing is totally secure especially if what you are after is to cause fear and disruption.

6. If I have given the impression I dont like Bush well Im sorry but I think the mans an eejit, but they do say we get the politicians we deserve. After all we have a poodle in charge, and someone as trustworthy as a lawyer for an opposition leader.

7. And finally, perhaps the US would have a better world image if some people stopped trying to live up to the stereotypes portrayed in the media. The US is no better or worse than any where else ( excluding Scotland of course) nor are its people, we all have our fair share of head bangers. I for 1 will be at WDW next year, I hate flying but I get on with it, I hope that those who intended to go also go, regardless of any local difficulties.

This has gotten a little to serious for a Disney Board
:zipit:

Dizknee_Phreek

that post was just full of good points, happy snapper!
in regards to Bush...well, i love the guy! i think he's great....but that's just me.
anyway, if there's nothing else i learned from my AP US History teacher this past year, it's this....America wants their President to be smart, but not act smart. Gore acted smart...he oozed smartness...that's probably why he ended up losing, even though it was close. personally, i think we got the better end of the election. we got a President who is intellegent (besides his occasional made-up words) but is still one of the 'good ol' boys'. besides, Gore reminded me too much of one of my vice-principals at school. and that's not a good thing, i can tell ya! :animwink:
anyway, the intellegence thing is of course not proven fact...it's just the thoughts of my AP US History teacher, which i found to be pretty much true. just thought i'd share!

MKCustodial

Another point, and I may be wrong here, so one of the History teachers might want to clear this up, but the US kinda helped create Osama and Al-Qaeda when they financed their actions against the USSR. Even Rambo (on Rambo III) helped them!

So whoever said today's enemies might be tomorrow's allies is totally right. I guess it's kinda easier for the internationals to analise the situation since we're outside the "affected parties", but it really isn't Bush's fault or even Clinton's fault. This whole thing the Middle East has against the West, and mainly against the US, goes WAY back. And it's not only them, a lot of South American countries feel the same way, because of the whole weapons-selling the US government used to do to some of my neighboors (Colombia, I'd guess).

Erika

Originally posted by NowInc

Well...not truly. We have to think of it as politics disguised as religion. The weak-minded and desperate are brainwashed and exploited in a way I would compare to a gang or a cult more than to a religion. Any sane Muslim will tell you that what these people are doing is absolutely against the teachings of Islam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom