WDW March Madness: The Wacky Brackets III

KJ1081

*crawls out from under lurking rock*
This is a fantastic thread!!

The Open or Close - It's All the Same When It Comes to Complaining Bracket
(1)“The Fantasyland Expansion is the greatest thing since Walt vs. The 2013 Fantasyland already sucks” Who doesn't love a good argument about something that doesn't physically exist yet?

The Arguments Most Likely to Find People Referring to Themselves in the 3rd Person Bracket
(3) “My professed appreciation for the original EPCOT Center is proof of my superior intelligence vs. No, it’s really not”
Love it!

The Distilled to the Core Bracket
(8) “Yesterday vs. Today” A trip down memory lane with a good dose of cynicism

The Argumentative Words Bracket: Due to a lack of consensus and my misplaced desire to actually wring some meaning out this competition, I'm going to define a wordy three-way battle for supremacy ...

(4) “Scooter” My grandfather used to use one of these. We always set it to the the slowest speed, "turtle", and as soon as we weren't paying attention he'd crank that thing all the way up to "rabbit" and go careening uncontrollably into a horde of unsuspecting tourists. Where oh where is a Brazilian tour group when you need one?

GenerationX

Original Poster
Do you get excited when you see there's a new thread devoted to a hot button issue? Do you open long threads just because there must be a fight going on? Do you salivate when you open a thread that has been locked? :lookaroun

You've come to the right place. Your participation in our tournament is vital to the continued fanaticism of our site. Without your votes, these arguments could dissolve into friendliness, agreement, or, worse yet, rational thinking. And heaven knows, we cannot let that happen! To quote Wilt Dasney, we are the Militantly Ambivalent. It is up to us to make sure that whatever is raising the hackles of our little army of online combatants not only still raises said hackles, but pokes, prods, and altogether annoys them to the point of virtual insanity.

Now, if you include a sarcastic or humorous explanation along with your vote (as many have done already), rest assured that someone, somewhere is reading your vote over and over thinking "That smartass! I'll show him!" And that's why we're here. :D

matt88mph

I can't believe I've never seen this before...too funny!

(1)“The Fantasyland Expansion is the greatest thing since Walt vs. The 2013 Fantasyland already sucks”
vs.
(2) “P.I. was a cesspool of hooligans vs. The closing of the Adventurer’s Club made me lose all hope for humanity”

The fact that the "Save The Adventurer's Club" Thread is still going a year and a half after the place actually shut down is a testament to the worthiness of this choice.

The Arguments Most Likely to Find People Referring to Themselves in the 3rd Person Bracket
(3) “My professed appreciation for the original EPCOT Center is proof of my superior intelligence vs. No, it’s really not”
vs.
(6.5) “It’s against the rules vs. Yeah, but I’m entitled”

As torn as I was to make this choice, I think that my choice causes far more thread responses than EPCOT Center appreciation. (By the way, I do appreciate the old EPCOT Center, but it doesn't mean I'm smart.)

(8) “Yesterday vs. Today”
will live to fight Tomorrow as this argument has been FastPassed to the Final 4!

Absolutely the right choice to FastPass.

The Argumentative Words Bracket: Due to a lack of consensus and my misplaced desire to actually wring some meaning out this competition, I'm going to define a wordy three-way battle for supremacy ...

(4) “Scooter”
vs.
(5) “RFID”
vs.
(10) “Walmarting”

I haven't been on the boards as much as I used to, but I have heard plenty of disdain for abuse of the scooters.

GenerationX

Original Poster
What a round! Complicating the scorekeeping were the two change averse voters who refused to move forward to the Second Round and instead voted using the First Round brackets. Perhaps they were trying to start a First Round vs. Second Round argument. Or maybe they were trying to take us all back to a time when this thread had that new thread smell. Regardless, the bracket busting voters were sufficiently snarky, so I'm including their votes.

Long-time posters, lurkers, n00bs - your voice was heard loud and clear. Four worthy arguments that have derailed many a fine thread are advancing to the coveted Final Fanatical Four. They are ...

(1)“The Fantasyland Expansion is the greatest thing since Walt vs. The 2013 Fantasyland already sucks”
defeats
(2) “P.I. was a cesspool of hooligans vs. The closing of the Adventurer’s Club made me lose all hope for humanity”
by either a 5-3, 6-3, 6-4, or 7-4 vote!

defeats
(6.5) “It’s against the rules vs. Yeah, but I’m entitled”
by a 5-3 or 5-4 vote!

waltzed right past the losers fighting in the Stand By brackets!

The Argumentative Words Bracket
(4) “Scooter
defeats
(5) “RFID”
and
(10) “Walmarting”
by a 6-0-2, 7-0-2, 6-1-2, or 7-1-2 vote!

We lament the loss of the Adventurer's Club ... argument (the club itself? meh). We are no longer entitled to vote for entitlement arguments. No one will be tracking the RFID concerns or shopping their Walmarting words. The Final Fanatical Four dazzling match-ups are coming soon, and I assure you, these arguments have no "B mode" ...

GenerationX

Original Poster
Round 3 (as good as Rounds 1 + 2 put together!)

The I Love the 80s Bracket
vs.

The I Hate the 10s Bracket
vs.
(4) “Scooter”

Now go do that voodoo that you do so well [/hedley lamarr] ...

matt88mph

Ooh, tough ones, but I'll give it a shot.

vs.

Essentially, all EPCOT Center arguements boil down to Everything Was Great Back Then vs. Everything Sucks Now. This arguement deserves to win the whole shebang.

vs.
(4) “Scooter”

I think the most heated posts on these boards have to be about what the guests do wrong, while the rest of us play by the rules. Since the "I'm entitled" arguement went out the window, I guess I'll have to go with this one. Plus, most of what I've heard about 2013 Fantasyland is optimistic, but with a grain of salt.

Wilt Dasney

I find myself persuaded by matt88mph's arguments. That, and I'm feeling in a bit more of a "generally argumentative" than "focused debate-ready" mood today. Put me down for one o' them (8) “Yesterday vs. Today” meals, with jist a little (4) “Scooter” on tha side there.

Master__Gracey

Ooh, tough ones, but I'll give it a shot.

vs.

Essentially, all EPCOT Center arguements boil down to Everything Was Great Back Then vs. Everything Sucks Now. This arguement deserves to win the whole shebang.

vs.
(4) “Scooter”

I think the most heated posts on these boards have to be about what the guests do wrong, while the rest of us play by the rules. Since the "I'm entitled" arguement went out the window, I guess I'll have to go with this one. Plus, most of what I've heard about 2013 Fantasyland is optimistic, but with a grain of salt.

I agree 100%. I also choose these two. Although I think the "I'm entitled" subject gets everyone heated. Oh well, my team didn't make it. It's nothing new to me, I'm a Michigan fan. :brick:

GenerationX

Original Poster
I agree 100%. I also choose these two. Although I think the "I'm entitled" subject gets everyone heated. Oh well, my team didn't make it. It's nothing new to me, I'm a Michigan fan. :brick:
I thought the "I'm entitled" entry would make the championship round, too (but then again, I thought "Dinning" :fork: from two years ago would advance further so what do I know).

Will Yesterday vs. Today win the day? Will the Fantasyland Expansion get run over by a Scooter??? The fate of our online World hangs in the balance. Which two surefire argument starters will go head-to-head for the coveted title of "Mickey Mouse Issue of the Year"? Vote for your favorite now, before it goes the way of the Chicago Cubs ...

MarkTwain

vs.

vs.
(4) “Scooter”

Can't wait to see the results of the Final Four...

Krack

Round 3:

There is no better one-sided beat downs on wdwmagic than when a teenager tries to make his case that Test Track and Mission Space are better than World of Motion and Horizons ... and necessary changes, or else Epcot would have no visitors (or some crap like that).

(4) “Scooter”

The users with a guilty conscious always stand out like a sore thumb in the discussions. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

GenerationX

Original Poster
OK, fellow argument fans, we've reached the end. The place where we separate the mere disputes from the all out brawls. Where we divide little quarrels from nasty rows. Where we stamp out the little squabbles, spats, and tiffs, and promote the no holds barred free-for-alls. In other words, the Championship Battle.

First, some results:

is defeated by
by 3-2 vote!

is defeated by
(4) “Scooter”
by a 4-1 vote!

Here's our Final Feud:

(8) “Yesterday vs. Today” vs. (4) “Scooter”

When you vote for what you believe to be the ultimate argument, include in your rationale the type of lunatic postings that amuse you to no end. The kind of posts that are made in all seriousness, but are hysterical in their hysteria.

matt88mph

Alright, the final showdown, the last roundup, the ultimate match! (Until next year.)

Instead of putting my choice first and then explaining it, I'll reverse it on this momentous occasion, though my choice will become obvious very quickly.

A wise baseball player (who happens to share his first name with a smarter-than-average bear) once said, "The future ain't what it used to be." And when it comes to discussing the Mouse, that phrase holds true. Nostalgia is a marketable commodity these days (D23 being a prime example). As I look around my room right now, I immediately see my copy of Walt Disney and the 1964 World's Fair and my DVD comprised of old Vacation Planning Videos, and then I realize I'm wearing a Figment & Dreamfinder t-shirt. For cryin' out loud, Captain EO has finally become popular enough again to come back to Disneyland! We collect things such as pins and maps for the simple fact that they will eventually change. And as things change, we come to realize either change is for the better or the worse. As a Disney fan, I've come to see both. As fun as Horizons was (and it still is one of my favorite experiences I've had in WDW), Mission: SPACE is good too, and now a must-ride whenever I'm in Epcot. It doesn't mean change is bad, change is...just that: change. On these boards, change is meant to be a sign of the way things are: many argue Epcot has been dumbed down, while others say its ideas have become more accessible to the general public. Me? I think the change is just change. "Nothing golden can stay." "All good things must come to an end." "Only the good die young." Call it what you will, but it's definitely part of something that ties all Disney fans, past and present, in a common interest for the magic that only Disney can provide.

Okay, I realize that that was a bit lengthy, and I apologize. I'm in paper-writing mode, and this was a fun little diversion. To simplify:

HORIZONS FOREVER!!! DEATH TO THE EVIL BLUE ALIEN!!! EPCOT CENTER, I SAY CENTER, MUST RETURN TO EDUCATE THOSE WHO ARE WORTHY OF ITS AWESOMENESS!!! BRING BACK MR. TOAD!!! WHY IS THERE NO CELEBRATION FOR WDW'S 39TH ANNIVERSARY?!? WHY DO THEY NO LONGER CARRY POWDERED SOAP?!?

My pick is:

GenerationX

Original Poster
You know, matt88mph, your vote justification was reasonable, well thought out, and eloquent. And I appreciate the sputtering inflammatory rant at the end, too. A model for future votes, I say.

So, get your votes in, folks. I'll declare a champion on Monday night.

Wilt Dasney

You know, matt88mph, your vote justification was reasonable, well thought out, and eloquent. And I appreciate the sputtering inflammatory rant at the end, too. A model for future votes, I say.
Agreed. I'm not sure what I can add beyond simply concurring!

I will say that (8) “Yesterday vs. Today” has wrapped up within it so many of the arguments already eliminated — EPCOT Center, Adventurer's Club, Space Mountain, Lights of Winter, Fantasyland Expansion (at least potentially) — as well as many, many other arguments played out on these forums over the years.

Yesterday
is gone, but its champions live on; Today is here, its defenders sincere. Long may their irreconcilable debates rage. :king:

MarkTwain

What!? No more Fantasyland expansion or Epcot elitism?? I was sure it would be one of those two for sure...

Gotta be Yesterday vs. Today. The classic, timeless argument that will never go away.

Master__Gracey

“Yesterday vs. Today”

Just about every argument can be boiled down to this. Fantasyland will become this argument, EPCOT Center is this argument, Dreamfinder, MGM Studios (the working studio), backlot tour, Pixar integration, working Yeti, Horizons, Wonders of Life, Mr Toad, The Hat, The Wand, and sometimes it isn't even a real yesterday (remember King Louie on the Jungle Cruise?) It's the king of all arguments and deserves to win.

Krack

Yesterday vs. Today ...

It's always a fun argument when someone who never got the opportunity to ride an attraction can give you a litany of reasons why it was never that good, wasn't really popular, and needed to be replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom