WDW Marathon Weekend 2009

bryPOD

Original Poster
With the marathon nearly 95% full already, now is a good time to start a marathon thread! Who is going and what do you plan on running?

Also, dining reservations are already going fast, so book now!

SpongeScott

I"m running in the half in 2009. I'm running for a charity and we'll be staying at the Contemporary.

I just finished the Disneyland half last week and did the WDW in January. I may not be fast, but I can finish them!

urbanvegan

WOOT!!! Marathon 09!!!

Psyched. Staying at OKW again, for that nice little walk to the start line for the Full.

Can't wait! I hope they have redesigned Medals after last year's awesome 15th Anniversary ones.

TwoTigersMom

I"m running in the half in 2009. I'm running for a charity and we'll be staying at the Contemporary.

I just finished the Disneyland half last week and did the WDW in January. I may not be fast, but I can finish them!

Whachu talkin' 'bout, Willis?? You're fast AND finish them!

Me, I'm gonna attempt to finish the half :lol: I just hope they have someone to scrape me off the pavement by mile 4 :lookaroun :lol:

I'm staying at SSR.

castlecake2.0

Yo I'm running the marathon as well. I ran the half last year. It was alot of fun training in the ice and snow in Ontario leading up to it. This year I plan on doing the full. Im living in Orlando this year, so training in the snow wont be a problem, but the lack of sidewalks is a little frustrating. Its also difficult with those little lizards running all over the place! There are two other Canadian Cast Members that plan on running it as well. Good luck everyone with your training!:wave:

Tinkstreasures

Im not running the marathon myself, (Im working on a 10 K right now:lookaroun) my boyfriend is though, so I will be there to cheer you all on. We are staying at SSR.

krisrunsdisney

I'm doing Marathon #2 and DH is on #5 (second Goofy this year). WE ar ecurrently at SSR (with lots of family and friends) but are waitlisted at BCV. Really hopung for BCV so the family can walk out hte door to see us easily. Last year we were at ASSports and my sister, with my kids, almost missed me and forgot her camera. Can't wait!!!! I'm even dressed for my run now! See you at the finish (please don't take it all apart before I get there!)

Kwit35

Hi Everyone!
I am doing the full (it is my 40th bday on Jan. 7, so I am considering this my mid-life crisis). We are staying at Pop.
My daughter is running in the kids run for the first time and she is pretty excited.
Good Luck to everyone with the training!
Is anyone else running in races as part of their training? I did the Philly 1/2 a couple weeks ago. It was nice running with 16,000 other runners for my long run that week. It made the 13.1 miles go by alot faster.

krueg66

Wasn't the marathon usually a little later in January than it is this year? We are staying the first week and I didn't even think about checking for it because I never ran into it before this early. I'm a little worried about the additional crowds but it's too late now! :dazzle:

Kwit35

Wasn't the marathon usually a little later in January than it is this year? We are staying the first week and I didn't even think about checking for it because I never ran into it before this early. I'm a little worried about the additional crowds but it's too late now! :dazzle:

I ran it in 2005, it was actually a little earlier (i think the 8th). The crowds were minimal. It was a great weekend and the best birthday ever! I don't know if people stayed away because of the run or if it was just our luck that weekend. However, the crowds were not an issue. The longest line I waited in was at the starting line for the marathon! :ROFLOL:

Christi22222

Hey all!

I'm doing the Goofy. I've run marathons before, but not for awhile. I relate to the 40th birthday "crisis" as I turned 40 this year and told myself I was doing a marathon while I was still 40 and proving my "youth!" Guess I got crazy about it when I signed up for the Goofy, but I'm excited that it will be fun. I'm not fast, so hey, have a good time, right? I'm staying at French Quarter for the first time. Excited for that, too. Always love to try a new resort. Plan is for my college roommate and her husband to come run with me. If they can't make it, or the race closes, I may need to make some friends while I'm there! Thanks for this thread. Keeping it exciting helps with the motivation for those long runs - ughh! I'll check in regularly to see how you all are faring in your training! :) Christi

Kwit35

Okay,
Raise your hand if you are running at Disney in January and your name is Kris...or something to that effect.
:wave:

Love, Kristin

MKCP 1985

I'm planning to go down and run the half marathon. . . only the half, but that should be plenty for me! :D

. . . and when I say "run" the half, I'm using that word very loosely! :lol:

HollyBelle

This will be my first marathon.... and quite possibly my last :dazzle:! I'm most excited about the character interaction on the course. Can someone tell me if there are long waits to take pictures with them? Or do most people bypass them in order to keep up their pace?

We just ran the Everest 5K this weekend and it got me pumped for the real thing this January.

Greenlawler

This will be my first marathon.... and quite possibly my last :dazzle:! I'm most excited about the character interaction on the course. Can someone tell me if there are long waits to take pictures with them? Or do most people bypass them in order to keep up their pace?

We just ran the Everest 5K this weekend and it got me pumped for the real thing this January.

Hey Holly Belle and any one interested in what characters you may run into, the whole reason I ran my first marathon was for the characters last year! I have a full step by step account on Disney Running.com http://disneyrunning.com/08fullreporttl.html

My average stop for a character was about 10 seconds. It depends a lot on where you are in the race, for me I was about middle of the pack. The lines are a little longer for the v.i.p.'s (Mickey, Donald, etc...), and for the characters near the beggining of the race, but as things thin out and people begin to get concerend about their time people do not stop for the characters as much about a third of the way into the race. I never waited more than a couple of minutes and most of the time I ran up snapped the picture and kept running.

There are more characters out for the full than the half, Jack Sparrow, Uncle Scrouge, Launchpad, Hades, Kermit and Piggy, Tarzan and Jane, John Smith, and the Robin Hood gang were the most rare characters. Although I heard rumors that Hunchback, Phoebus, and Esmerelda were out as well.

I am running Goofy this year!

Kwit35

Hey Holly Belle and any one interested in what characters you may run into, the whole reason I ran my first marathon was for the characters last year! I have a full step by step account on Disney Running.com http://disneyrunning.com/08fullreporttl.html

My average stop for a character was about 10 seconds. It depends a lot on where you are in the race, for me I was about middle of the pack. The lines are a little longer for the v.i.p.'s (Mickey, Donald, etc...), and for the characters near the beggining of the race, but as things thin out and people begin to get concerend about their time people do not stop for the characters as much about a third of the way into the race. I never waited more than a couple of minutes and most of the time I ran up snapped the picture and kept running.

There are more characters out for the full than the half, Jack Sparrow, Uncle Scrouge, Launchpad, Hades, Kermit and Piggy, Tarzan and Jane, John Smith, and the Robin Hood gang were the most rare characters. Although I heard rumors that Hunchback, Phoebus, and Esmerelda were out as well.

I am running Goofy this year!

I just finished reading your marathon review. WOW. What a great story. You really captured the essence of what a (newbie) runner is feeling through out the race. I ran Disney in 2005. It was my third marathon, but I had all those same feelings running (excuse the pun) through my head. 'I feel great', 'maybe I will actually hit sub 5', 'Disney Rocks', 'why does mile 18 hurt so much'...just like you, I ran much faster then I thought I would. I flew through the parks and even though I stopped for pictures, with many characters, I got my best marathon time ever (5:15).
While reading your story, I almost started crying when I read the part about 'making your own history'. What a great thing to say.
Congratulations on a great first run. Just like you, I was hooked after my first. I hope to see you in January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom