WdW magic from employees lacking?

rrmossy

I'm so tired of "the pay sucks at that job" being used as an excuse for an employee to be rude. Whether you're talking about McDonalds, Wal-Mart or WDW, the bottom line is that employees should be nice to the customer. That doesn't mean they have to constantly be sugary sweet, but a little common courtesy would be nice. This is still a capitalistic, free market economy where if you don't like where you work, improve yourself and find a better job.

I've been to WDW about a dozen times in the past 5 years and the CM's are usually great. However, on my last visit in early June '07, I ran into a number of CM's that were just downright unpleasant. I still enjoyed my vacation, but it soured a little bit of the Disney magic.

raven

The truth of the matter is this......the pay at Disney sucks!!! I'm willing to say that what you encountered is a CM who is on the CP and works for peanuts and is worked back to backs more than any of us have ever done in our lifetimes...Again keep in mind that most "yonger CMs" are worked like dogs because Disney knows that they can work them that way.....it does not leave time for an extra job on the side...
How would any of you like to go to a job everyday where no matter how many times you ask people politely to Please do something that they completely ignore you or call you a nasty name??...I realize that this may not make sense to all and to some it will hit right at home but before you start to criticize someone working for Disney at $6.35 an hour please try and put yourself in their place.

Ok. First off, most members on these boards know that CMs don't make much money. Most of us also know that they are worked like dogs. And most know that some CMs just do not like their work.

I say to those CMs "Quit already!" If you are gonna gripe about pay, hours and lack of respect then just leave the company and work somewhere else. I plan on working for Disney (part time) when I move to Orlando in the fall but I am not expecting it to be all roses. I know that you only get out of it what you put into it. I have worked for Disney before for over 2 years and loved every minute of it. This is because I am a true Disney person that wants to share the magic with other guests that I have experienced.

So disgruntled CMs need a swift kick in the a$$ by tinkerbell or get out altogether. I'm just tired of hearing complaints when they choose to work there. Nuff said.

scottnj1966

The cast members that are rude usually do not stay at disney very long anyway. Just smile at them and continue having a great day. They are not worth the time.

As some people here have said, maybe they were extremely busy and yes it is very ot right now. It does not excuse them but sometimes give them a break.

Remember 99% of the CM's are always above and beyond any other place you ever go too.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For clarity, being "yelled at" and being treated "rudely" are two entirely different things. The OP doesn't use the word "rude" at all, simply pointing out that the two CMs were less than magical by "yelling".

Honestly, I think yelling is a necessity of the job. Most of WDW has higher than average noise levels and ambient din. To be heard at all requires raising one's voice. At what point does it cross from efficacy to inappropriate?

In the first instance, on the Pooh ride, there is a guest safety issue. The CM may honestly have been concerned for the OP's safety and wanted to stress the importance of the lap restraint. In the second instance, the CM may very well have been raising their voice to ensure they were heard, I've seen a lot of instances where a CM called out to guests and were chastised for "yelling" when it was clear to me making oneself heard required it.

Had the CM yelled "Hey you MORON, pull your lap bar down! What are you, an idiot?" then it would be rude. As far as I can tell, that wasn't the case here.

I will freely admit that I tend to side with CMs in most disputes, because a lot of guests exaggerate the circumstance of an alleged "incident" to justify their feeling of being wronged. In this instance, I don't see that, the OP does not appear to be embellishing for effect, simply stating they were yelled at and didn't feel it was "magical" treatment. Nothing more, nothing less.

And calling a woman "Lady" to her face is pejorative unless she happens to be married to a Lord, but referring to a woman who is not involved with the conversation as "the lady" or "that lady" is perfectly acceptable in polite conversation. Again, the OP was referring to her in a conversation not directing the term at her, no issue here.

wdwmom2+1

Original Poster
OK I did NOT want a debate about calling her lady. I am NOT a disrespectful person and did not mean it rudely!!!! I didnt even think about saying CM and i didnt know her name. I was just trying to see if this was the new thing at disney b/c we've been there over 40 times and NEVER had this much unmagic from the employees. I surely did not want this to be a debate about me calling her lady.

AS for the strollers , Yes they did see them there were about 20 of them. but they were YELLING at us. my daughter was asking us why they were so mad at us when there were so many others. all i'm saying is i'm sure thers a magical way to say do not park your stroller there.

these were only two of several encounters we had on this trip.

Sorry for being thought ath I was implying rudenness or anything. it was not ment to be that way.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minnie2000

For clarity, being "yelled at" and being treated "rudely" are two entirely different things. The OP doesn't use the word "rude" at all, simply pointing out that the two CMs were less than magical by "yelling".

Honestly, I think yelling is a necessity of the job. Most of WDW has higher than average noise levels and ambient din. To be heard at all requires raising one's voice. At what point does it cross from efficacy to inappropriate?

In the first instance, on the Pooh ride, there is a guest safety issue. The CM may honestly have been concerned for the OP's safety and wanted to stress the importance of the lap restraint. In the second instance, the CM may very well have been raising their voice to ensure they were heard, I've seen a lot of instances where a CM called out to guests and were chastised for "yelling" when it was clear to me making oneself heard required it.

Had the CM yelled "Hey you MORON, pull your lap bar down! What are you, an idiot?" then it would be rude. As far as I can tell, that wasn't the case here.

I will freely admit that I tend to side with CMs in most disputes, because a lot of guests exaggerate the circumstance of an alleged "incident" to justify their feeling of being wronged. In this instance, I don't see that, the OP does not appear to be embellishing for effect, simply stating they were yelled at and didn't feel it was "magical" treatment. Nothing more, nothing less.

And calling a woman "Lady" to her face is pejorative unless she happens to be married to a Lord, but referring to a woman who is not involved with the conversation as "the lady" or "that lady" is perfectly acceptable in polite conversation. Again, the OP was referring to her in a conversation not directing the term at her, no issue here.

I agree with your last paragraph. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying 'the lady', its more respectful than 'the woman' or 'the girl'.

jt04

I think people are just having fun with the "hey lady" comment. I can't help but think of Jerry Lewis whenever I hear those two words together. It isn't just WDW having more trouble with rude employees. Have you been in a fast food place lately? The lower the unemployment rate the tougher it is to get quality workers. A recession might help :eek: ;)

wdwmom2+1

Original Poster
Also by Yelling , they were not yelling in I need to get your attention b/c it's loud in here. I am a teacher and know the importance of having to project when it is loud. I meant it was a MEAN as if I did something wrong type yelling.

I am not going to reply to this anymore. I did not think that it would cause a ruckus. sorry I called her Lady .

I certanly wasnt critiziing disney in such a harsh way some of you are implying. i was in no way rude to either of these people actually i hadnt even said a word to either.

i was just kind of suprised as this was my first experience with employees who just seemed like they dont care and were not very happy to be there.

jt04

i was just kind of suprised as this was my first experience with employees who just seemed like they dont care and were not very happy to be there.

You obviously have not been in a Burger King or McDonalds lately then :lookaroun

brainpile3000

I'm so tired of "the pay sucks at that job" being used as an excuse for an employee to be rude. Whether you're talking about McDonalds, Wal-Mart or WDW, the bottom line is that employees should be nice to the customer. That doesn't mean they have to constantly be sugary sweet, but a little common courtesy would be nice. This is still a capitalistic, free market economy where if you don't like where you work, improve yourself and find a better job.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
EXACTLY!

Also by Yelling , they were not yelling in I need to get your attention b/c it's loud in here. I am a teacher and know the importance of having to project when it is loud. I meant it was a MEAN as if I did something wrong type yelling.

I am not going to reply to this anymore. I did not think that it would cause a ruckus. sorry I called her Lady .

I certanly wasnt critiziing disney in such a harsh way some of you are implying. i was in no way rude to either of these people actually i hadnt even said a word to either.

No need to apologize...Some people are very rude on these threads (which are not very Disney like) and they have nothing else better to do but complain and start un-nessesary rukus....Ignore it! :wave:

EMThompsen

I presume CM's are hired with the knowlege that they are paid a low wage to maintain the magic. & the starting wage is what they argreed to be paid when they accepted the job. No one is forcing them to work at Disney. Having said that... Yes the wage is peanuts & that can make it diificult to be cheerful. Seeing people enjoy their vacation might make it easier But how many of us have slipped on occasion & not been on our best behavior when dealing with a client or a guest? Okay everyone has bad days & it could just be a a fluke that more than one CM was showing poor judgement in dealing with a guest that day. (Pehaps union negotiations were not going well).
However if the cm continues to shatter the magic, hopefully they will not remain a Disney employee

And while I'm at it: Where in wdwmom2's original post did it say she spoke with the cm directly & said "lady" ? I believe she only reffered to the CM as "the lady" when posting the story of what happened

sknydave

lol @ "the lady" being something bad.

Who doesn't say "the guy at the store.." or "the lady in front of me.."

Are CM's doctors now? Should we refer to them as CM Smith ?

Mansion Butler

Yes, you have to yell alot. I don't like yelling, but I have to when people are going in the wrong way, when people are putting their strollers in the wrong place, when I'm inside the ride and they can't hear me, etc. It happens alot. I'm sure guests would like if we could walk up to them and calmly talk to them face to face, but it's not realistic alot of the time.

JustPlainBill

I'm sure many here can relate to a pay issue of one kind or another, myself, my first job I worked at when I was sixteen, just entering the job market I was paid $3.30 an hour, minimum wage in Illinois at the time (1981). I felt then that the pay I was getting didn't match the work I did. The next few jobs I worked at were similiar. As I gained work experience and moved up the ladder I was able to increase my salary. I wouldn't have been able to do that had I not worked hard, smiled under adversity and win the satisfaction from my managers and customers at the time. If you want more money you have to earn it. FYI, I am a manager myself now, and making a fairly good buck now in my own right. Could I be paid more? Certainly, who couldn't.

bgraham34

I couple of years ago I went down in DEC and i was feeling that the magic was losing its well Magic. But I went last year and everything was beyond my expectations. Sometimes you have a bad trip. Who knows but you also have to make your own magic too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom