WDW Locals:Do you stay at the WDW hotels?

Pete C

My wife and I do for mini-getaways. We live in Orlando, but will go stay at WDW for a night from time to time. Just did Yacht Club this past weekend for our anniversary. We decided that next time we will want to do at least 2 days though, because otherwise you really can't take advantage of the resort amenities.

Upvote 0

corey154

I live about 45 min and I go all the time for weekend getaways. We love staying at the resorts. We're going for halloween weekend and again in december for the christmas party.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

I'm not certain as to what your definition of a local would be. I live approximately 2 1/2 hours away from WDW. We usually leave home early in the morning and return late at night. When we stay longer than one day (2-14 day trips), we usually prefer to stay at Disney hotels for the sake of theming and convenience.

Upvote 0

MissM

Rarely. We're home in an hour so it's hard to justify the cost of a hotel room. We've stayed over on property twice. Once at Wilderness Lodge a few years ago and once at Bay Lake Tower last month for our anniversary. We really liked staying at BLT though but the one night was too short.

Upvote 0

monkeysammich

I grew up in Orlando... never stayed at a resort.

This coming trip is my first "true" full disney stay, 5 days in a resort.

Normally we just stay with my wife's parents, they are only about a half an hour away from the kingdom so its not worth it to get a hotel.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I grew up in the Orlando area, too. (Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, & Winter Park) We never stayed on-property when I was a kid and we'd go out for day trips. It was like a 45 minute or so drive depending on I-4 traffic (of course, Kissimmee / St. Cloud was thought of as "the country" back then). We'd go to the parks and laugh at all the tacky tourists. Now that I don't live there I am the tacky tourist, proud to wear my label, and wouldn't dream of visiting without staying on property. I like to think I've come full circle. LOL!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I live about 2&1/2 - 3 hrs away , and stay on property. I would nt to get up at the crack of dawn, spend the day walking around, then have to drive home again. We usually only stay for a couple of nights - I'll be heading down for the F&W festival this weekend, and I like both my husband & I being able to sample without worrying about who will be the designated driver, so can only watch.

Upvote 0

Pete C

I wish they would give resort discounts for Florida residents. There have to be tons of rooms available there during the off months. Yacht Club was a ghost town this past weekend and all we got was an upgrade to a king room, which I'll still take. For last minute bookings they should just be throwing deals out there once they realize that they are not going to have a full hotel.

Upvote 0
I wish they would give resort discounts for Florida residents. There have to be tons of rooms available there during the off months. Yacht Club was a ghost town this past weekend and all we got was an upgrade to a king room, which I'll still take. For last minute bookings they should just be throwing deals out there once they realize that they are not going to have a full hotel.

They do have Florida resident discounts for hotel rooms. I think holidays and maybe peak seasons they may not have them, but otherwise you can find awesome discounts. The rates usually come out about 3 months in advance. Just look at the disney site and you will find them.

Upvote 0

MissM

They do.

And if you don't have tickets already:

$45 Per Person Per Day Florida Resident Room and Ticket Package Florida Residents! You Can Save on a 3-Day/ 2-Night Vacation Package at select Disney Value Resorts in a standard room for stays most nights 10/4 to 11/24, 11/29 to 12/2/09 and 12/12 to 12/17/09.

Passholders also get similar discounts. And once you get on their mailing lists, you might get personalized offers above and beyond the public rates like I got 40% off my BLT stay last month. (Made a 1 bedroom villa cheaper than Wilderness Lodge standard room for example.)

Upvote 0

reptar77

I'm not certain as to what your definition of a local would be. I live approximately 2 1/2 hours away from WDW. We usually leave home early in the morning and return late at night. When we stay longer than one day (2-14 day trips), we usually prefer to stay at Disney hotels for the sake of theming and convenience.

Same here

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Those discounts are either sold out or not something that anyone else could get. Passholders (which many are FL residents) and FL residents are often the same. General packages can often be had near the same rate as well.

I worked at the front desks for 1.5 years - nearly 6 months on graveyard. People would show up at midnight after a long day in the parks and we couldn't give a discounted rate even when the resort was at less than 50% occupancy. They'd say no thanks and go find a cheap room for 1/3 price off property.

Upvote 0

Heavy Metal

We've been living in Florida for a year now and we're about 1 1/2 hrs away from Disney. We're planning on going over springbreak next year and we plan on doing 4 nights staying at Coranado Springs.

Upvote 0

scpergj

I live about 2&1/2 - 3 hrs away , and stay on property. I would nt to get up at the crack of dawn, spend the day walking around, then have to drive home again. We usually only stay for a couple of nights - I'll be heading down for the F&W festival this weekend, and I like both my husband & I being able to sample without worrying about who will be the designated driver, so can only watch.

We also live 2 1/2 to 3 hours away, and have done the one day thing occasionally - however, we normally do long weekends when the kids are out of school. We will do a regular weekend in December to see all of the decorations, Osborne Lights, and EPCOT's Christmas stuff.

Oh, The Mom...we leave Thursday evening for a long weekend at the Wilderness Lodge!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom