WDW Isn't Perfect, But I'm Okay Now

Jimmy Thick

Ever since that trip, I've tried to limit my exposure to the Rumors thread. If there's a topic of interest, I ead the first few posts and then leave it at that. There's never really any legit answers anyway and after page 2 it's just people crabbing.

So very true, so very, very true.

Jimmy Thick-Blurb of the year canidate?

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Ever since that trip, I've tried to limit my exposure to the Rumors thread. If there's a topic of interest, I ead the first few posts and then leave it at that. There's never really any legit answers anyway and after page 2 it's just people crabbing.

That is so true. Some of the threads reach 100 or more posts, but they often quickly become the same people complaining about...well, everything. They typically try to out do each other with stories of how it used to be, or what's wrong now.

Actually, I just got to thinking...it's the internet posting equivalent of Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch. (The trying to 'one up' each other part.) :)

(In case you are not familiar, and have 3 minutes...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Been there done that. When I first joined WDWMagic General Grizz was the leader of the doom n gloom, all change is bad crowd and I too felt myself drawn to the dark side.

I don't know that name. I do remember when I was a newbie on here, there was a guy named 'merf' who caused some issues. I think he was banned.

I learned quickly that if all you look for is evil that is all you will see. Are there problems at WDW? Sure, bit I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

That's so true of everything in life. People become hysterical rather easily.

I noted in another thread that during my flight home earlier this month, I listed all the things that our family saw as positive versus the negatives and it was 'no contest'. There were so, so many positives and so, so few negatives, it even surprised us (and we're 'glass half full' types). :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just read on another thread that '74 said he was talking with 'merfie' about something. Perhaps that's the same guy and they are friends. Perhaps. :)
From what I hear Merf posts on Laughing Place fairly regularly. 74 posted there quite a bit at one time as well but I think he was banned. Not really sure though. The only time I go there is when something is linked to the site.

Walt Disney1955

If there is one thing I always want Disney to strive for it is excellence........and then some. Always strive to be the best, because this is how we get the enjoyment of the parks that we do.

But when push comes to shove, we are getting an expansion as we speak. There is lots of progress in the Disney company right now.

Anytime I go on vacation there I forget about any negativity associated with it. Burned out light bulbs? Sheeesh, life is too short. I've never noticed to be honest.

rodserling27

Been there done that. When I first joined WDWMagic General Grizz was the leader of the doom n gloom, all change is bad crowd and I too felt myself drawn to the dark side. I learned quickly that if all you look for is evil that is all you will see. Are there problems at WDW? Sure, bit I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Excellent point, Master Yoda. I feel the same way...having just gotten back TONIGHT from a stellar WDW trip, I am realizing that while there is merit in nit-picking WDW, I can't and shouldn't let it ruin my vacation or visits.

Hi, my name is Daniel and I'm a WDWMagic-a-holic.

sweetpee_1993

I'm sure at this point I've earned myself an official doom-n-gloom badge for my contributions on the other thread mentioned here. I assure you in my daily life I am not a glass-half-empty person. Heck, I avoid the news and politics in general because of the gloom-factor. I can definitely see both sides of the fence when it comes to WDW. I can commiserate and still be happy for those who go and have a great time. Unfortunately, our last trip there didn't feel all rosey-posey. We didn't show up planning for it to be that way. Maybe it's a sign that we should take a break and venture to other Disney destinations & vacations. There's plenty of those out there as well. I do question if I've reached a burn-out point. I never would've dreamed it possible a few short years ago yet here I am wondering. Strange... Nevertheless, maybe a few years break will be the refresh we need. :animwink:

jjharvpro

Lately, I've been reading and participating in another WDWMagic thread that is nearly 400 posts! It's been an interesting read/dialogue/debate about the current state of the parks (mostly MK), historical state of the parks, maintenance, budgets, leadership, etc. I’ve learned some stuff about how things are run, about others on these boards, and, about myself. Mostly, about myself.

I don't know why I’ve been reading threads for 3 years by people who feel the parks are in a sorry state, but I guess whatever the reason is, it's the same one that gets me to watch the doom and gloom on the evening news. I check in each night so I can see how the entire planet is in a complete state of disarray, disrepair and utter chaos. :lookaroun

This post, however, is more about how ridiculous I've been the past few years. I've actually spent tons of time on WDWMagic reading, not only news and fun posts, but reading the opinions of some people about the issues in the parks, and letting it cause me to be apprehensive about my trips to the World. Well, after I recently returned home yet again, having had the best trip ever and having seen practically nothing wrong, I had an epiphany. Actually, two epiphanies.

Firstly, why the heck have I been ‘trying’ to live vicariously through the eyes of people who are not presently happy with the state of things at Walt Disney World? I have actually been going to WDW looking for stuff that might be wrong, after researching it on this site. How nuts is that? I don't do that with any other place or event in my life. I wouldn't think of travelling somewhere and, in the months before the trip, search out negative articles by disillusioned people about that destination. I don’t do that for restaurants, concerts, amusement parks, other cities, etc., but that’s what I was doing at WDWMagic. Why did I do that for WDW? I'm not sure why, but it's rather asinine, so I've decided to stop.

Secondly (epiphany #2), all of the online discussion and debate recently went a long way in reminding me that practically nothing is ever objective. Even if something can be stated as fact-there is in fact a functional problem with the eye in the hippo on ‘Small World’, for example-that may or may not be considered a big deal by individuals who are aware of it. I stated in another thread that while there 2 weeks ago, I did not even see any of the issues being raised. (I do appreciate that did not mean they aren’t there, and not important.) However, even had I seen all the issues that some people feel contribute to the ‘poor show’, I might not have felt that was the case at all. People have various degrees of belief for, not only what they deem simply acceptable, but also for what they believe to be awesome. It is subjective. One person’s ‘meh’ is another’s ‘wonderful’ or ‘awful’. “That restroom was so clean. I thought it was okay. Really? It was gross.”...3 teens talking 3 weeks ago at WDW. Subjective, and perception, is reality.

So I had this crazy, revolutionary idea, and that is that from this point forward, I'm going to just experience WDW through my own eyes. I should have been doing that all along of course, but in my desire to read a lot, I was drawn to the ‘dark side’. (I guess I should have used the force.) I started to think that others might be right about things, when in fact there is no right or wrong, only one’s perception. I should have been focussing on my own instead of that of others.

So, here’s the next 9 years for me.

I will probably visit WDW about 20 times between now and 2021, at which time I retire from my job and will visit more often. I will continue to vacation at several of the current and future 97 DVC resorts-I’m thinking DVC ‘Tom Sawyer Island’ or DVC ‘Rocket Tower Plaza’-you know they’re coming. I will on occasion see something amiss and think, “Well, not perfect, but it’s run by 62,000 humans, and here’s an example of less than perfect management or poor budget decisions. Still, practically perfect in every way.” I will also remind myself that people will come and go in the various positions; things will change as this happens, and WDW will always be in flux. It will never be perfect, and for the record, never has been. If I ever reach a point where I am unhappy with the experience, I’ll vacation elsewhere.

As the years go by and we approach the 50th anniversary, things will continue to improve, even most of the disgruntled will be happy, and we can all meet at Casey’s on October 1st, 2021, to grab a hot dog, share a few laughs and debate what the next 50 years at Walt Disney World holds.

What do you think the next 9 years holds for WDW? Expansion? Putting money into existing attractions? Etc.?

This. Thanks for posting this out there, I agree with you completely!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
i saw the title "WDW Isn't Perfect" and i swear i immediately had a rant worthy of a 500 page novel at the ready in defense, but then i read the first post :p

i completely agree, a lot of threads on here seem to be beyond critical to many of the rides, when every time i go mostly all of the rides deemed "in poor condition" look perfectly fine.

but i'm on another forum where whining and all that stuff is maxed out to x10, so i'm used to it and i just don't really take those posts seriously :)

So do you think WDW IS perfect?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Thanks for the thread....nice to see you put things in perspective. I do understand about reading TOO much into negative posts....and many I do sob...scroll on by to not get too over involved. But that is the learning curve of forums period. Great resource and how awesome is it to ask a question and get quality first hand experience on such short notice....even though I am an experienced park peep...there are always things I need to know before a trip as things do change....and it is awesome to help as well as find answers!:animwink:

My favorite place is WDW!!!:sohappy: and YES it is NOT PERFECT, I personally have accepted that no place on earth ever will be...that's reserved for Heaven alone....that being said I often tell my enablers who share my fascination with the place that being in the MK is as close as I can be to what I consider perfection in terms of a vaca spot.....as close to being my heaven on earth as it can be. There are moments of CM's being not so magical...things broken....the sheer fact that SGE still exists...:lol:....that could mar things....but it's all in the attitude of accepting the whole enchilada and appreciating all the things that ARE working and the continuity of a special place full of memories for me....:king:

I love the whole super attention to details, plussing, AWESOME theming, plant life, lack of bugs, music, hidden mickey's, dole whips and fun food spots...just being there with my family in the middle of winter back home....an escape that is to me priceless....and always I am plotting how to return asap!!!:sohappy:

case88

Thanks for this thread!!! I found this forum when I started planning my May 2012 trip. As you can see from my post count, I don't post very much...but I spend a lot of time lurking. All of this negative had me re-thinking the trip and the amount of money I was sending WDW's way this year. However, I came to the conclusion that I kept seeing the same names pop up when it came to all the doom & gloom. I still glance at some of the negative, but focus more on the positive posts...trip reports, fun rumors, and keeping up with FLE progress.

Now that I've turned my attention away from the negative, I think I'll enjoy my trip in May a whole lot more....I guess just put me in the majority who would rather walk around the MK being blissfully ignorant and enjoying being at a wonderful place with my wife and 2 boys.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I'm sure at this point I've earned myself an official doom-n-gloom badge for my contributions on the other thread mentioned here. I assure you in my daily life I am not a glass-half-empty person. Heck, I avoid the news and politics in general because of the gloom-factor. I can definitely see both sides of the fence when it comes to WDW. I can commiserate and still be happy for those who go and have a great time. Unfortunately, our last trip there didn't feel all rosey-posey. We didn't show up planning for it to be that way. Maybe it's a sign that we should take a break and venture to other Disney destinations & vacations. There's plenty of those out there as well. I do question if I've reached a burn-out point. I never would've dreamed it possible a few short years ago yet here I am wondering. Strange... Nevertheless, maybe a few years break will be the refresh we need. :animwink:

People feel how they feel. A break might be good. That's one thing I noted in the opening post. When someone feels they see too many issues at WDW, or anywhere else, it's probably a good idea to vacation elsewhere. Why spend money in a place where you're not happy?

The point of this thread is that each of us should be doing that, and I-this is 100% my fault, was letting others 'see' issues for me, and try to convince me that they in fact were issues. There are people on these boards who seem to go to great lengths to try to convince others to see what they see, and I just don't see it

I sincerely hope you find WDW to be up to your standards again and can truly enjoy it in the future. The 50th anniversary is coming. In the meantime, find a place that you enjoy. Life's too short to vacation somewhere that doesn't thrill you. :wave:

Coach81

that's how I've always felt about it... we love it.. we know it's not always perfect.. but we have always had the most fun while there...

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I guess just put me in the majority who would rather walk around the MK being blissfully ignorant and enjoying being at a wonderful place with my wife and 2 boys.

I don't think you are being blissfully ignorant. What else do you do in your life, or where else do you go, where you have a group of unhappy people scouting issues that they think are problems, and reporting those back to you? Where? Nowhere? Only on WDWMagic, and other fan sites. Steve has 60,000 or so people on here. Ya don't think some are going to be unhappy, disillusioned or Eeyore like? C'mon man! There are always some in every community, virtual or otherwise. :)

You and your family can view the world through your own eyes. If you think things are bad, you'll likely vacation elsewhere. That is the main point of the thread. I just got back again, and in my eyes, all was nearly perfect (and I'm not a newbie). You may see something else, but trust your judgement. Don't let those who work so, so desparately hard to convince you to see what they see, alter your perception. :wave:

PolynesianPrincess

Thanks for this thread. I agree 100%. WDW is not perfect... nothing is perfect. No person on this planet is perfect. I feel the cynical people here who complain in every post about how terrible Disney is are cynical like that in real life every day as well. Have I complained about Disney before? Sure. But what's the point of coming on a board like this just to rip on how terrible Disney is? If you don't like it, don't go and don't talk about it every single post. There will always be stuff that needs work there. You can't expect parks that see millions of people every year to always look and run 100%. It's impossible. Luckily when I'm there, all of the cynicism I've red about here fades away and I enjoy my vacation to the fullest. Things will happen that aren't so magical while we're there, but that's life. You can't expect Disney to be perfect!

"While I'm at it, I believe:

• Space Mountain is a lot better since the refurb...not what we wanted, but better queue, darker and exit looks great
  • Animal Kingdom is a full day park if you slow down to enjoy the details and subtle elements
  • Mission Space is cool
  • The Seas, even with Nemo, is still a great space
  • I enjoy the Laugh Floor once each trip
  • The Little Mermaid dark ride will be great, even without the Ursula death scene
  • I like the SSE post show
  • I love my DVC resorts
  • Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki room is so great to have back, even in a slightly shorter version without a fountain...so great to see again
  • I think it was time to close Horizons, World of Motion, etc. This is not the 80s and to attract a new generation of WDW fans, progress is essential. You can't have an entire park nowadays of omnimover dark rides with audio animatronics
  • Downtown Disney was crowded and a lot of fun 3 weeks ago...and will only get better after Splitsville, perhaps Burger 21, and 'plan 3'

There...that's a start. :)

This made me happy to read :D . Im getting a little sick of all the negativity all over this forum. I mean, we wouldn't be on this forum everyday if we didn't all love Disney would we? While I don't to walk blindly into the parks, I also don't want to be nitpicking every little thing when Im on vacation. You would think the parks were neglected to the point that they are decrepit . Criticism isn't bad in moderation but I dont want to get caught up in it. I love Disney World and a chip in the paint isn't going to change that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom