Rumor WDW is considering a Universal-like Express Pass

jason976

If true, I wonder if Disney would consider packaging this premium tier with select Deluxe resort stays. I do like that feature at Universal. I understand that they would get their money either way in the hotel rate but, I accept that cost in my head and like having extra costs prepaid so to speak.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Premier Access Ultimate or whatever is already in Paris so I'm not surprised if this is in the works. Paris probably was the guinea pig for that system.
Yeah. I wasn’t aware of how the Paris system worked but after looking into it I would not be surprised if that is what they are considering. I don’t see how they can keep the current LLMP system and add another product on top without severely limiting the capacity available to LLMP. There are already gripes from people that they can’t get what they want due to lack of availability and it’s a lower crowd time. Taking away more capacity from LLMP would devalue it even further. Not a good answer. I could see the Paris system replacing what WDW has today. Pay per attraction (individual LL) or if you want buy the ultimate that gets you every ride.

The Colonel

They should consider a pass with no rides included at a discount - if it were cheap enough I'd buy one once in a while. Eat, Parade, fireworks and out.

I've given up my annual passes. For the next few years I will only attend parties MNSSHP, MVMCP, and dovetail with a DCL cruise.

Weaning myself off the Mouse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If true, I wonder if Disney would consider packaging this premium tier with select Deluxe resort stays. I do like that feature at Universal. I understand that they would get their money either way in the hotel rate but, I accept that cost in my head and like having extra costs prepaid so to speak.
Too many deluxe resorts and there’s a bigger problem if you include DVC as well. It works at Universal since there are only 3 resorts. Even the new deluxe resort at Epic is not offering Express Pass right now. That may change.

MrPromey

I'm not sure I agree with this. When changes to Genie+ were announced earlier this year, quite a few people in this board kept saying they wished Disney went with Universal's system instead. Yes, less people would buy, but that is the goal.
You seemed to have missed the sentence that preceded that where I stated:

"Disney does not have the attraction capacity to pull this off relative to the number of guests they serve."

If they were to scrap the existing program in favor of this and they were to limit it, yes. It would reduce the number of takers which in turn, would make both the lighting lane and standby lines more efficient.

Even with that, I wonder what their willingness to limit this would be. The main reason Universal's system is able to work as-is is because they don't have a ratio of guest to attractions anywhere remotely close to as out of wack as Disney's which is how they get away with offering these options without scheduled return times.

Adding it on to what's existing (which was my assumption) would just create more problems for standby and force people into one of these programs which may be what they want but to paraphrase a Pixar villain, once everyone is paying to be a priority, nobody is.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Good point but I wonder if it would really have that effect. I think there is a subset of people already purchasing Multipass that would decide to spend the premium. I suppose those premier pass holders would end up getting more LLs than previously so perhaps there is some impact there but not sure how much.
I'm sure there is but the issue is that if Disney goes this route, those people are potentially converting their less-than-three-attractions-on-average-with-scheduled-times to guaranteed access at time of their choosing for all rides on top of whoever doesn't bite at the upgrade.

That would potentially put tremendous pressure on an attraction lineup that for years, has had trouble keeping up with guest volume as it is unless the priced it at something closer to VIP tour pricing rather than something most guest would be able to consider spending.

And what of attractions like TBA and ROTR that routinely go down? What happens when they come up and you have an uncontrolled number of people that can flock to them with their front-of-the-line tickets?

I mean, we're assuming they'll eventually get to better states of reliability. ROTR is obviously better than it originally was, be it with non-working effects, of course but color me skeptical that this is somehow going to suddenly be a thing they no-longer struggle with on newer attractions not based on decade-old attractions being duped from other parks.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

If the article is accurate, Premier Pass is basically pay (a most likely) substantially higher price than Multipass and the only advantage is being able to bypass making a reservation time for the attraction? And you can still only ride each attraction once per day?

I wouldn't exactly compare that to Express Pass. Unless they include Premier Pass with specific Deluxe resort reservations.
Universal also sells a one time use express pass so more like that

Andrew25

My guess is that, if done properly, this is an attempt to reduce complexity during a WDW visit, keep revenue, and reduce standby waits... all helping guest satisfaction.

Sure it'll be expensive, but theoretically a premium price won't attract as many people as the system currently does... effectively (and hopefully) reducing stand-by waits. Understanding all of the current system's rules is very confusing to first time guests (heck, I'm an AP and I still don't know everything), so having a simple 1 payment for one ride at each ride should alleviate a lot of issues.

TheMaxRebo

I think this could be attractive to people as would be more simple than LLMP - but they really have to thread the needle of pricing it high enough so that only a small % of people buy I but not too much that it impacts VIP tour purchases

I could see it only being available to select guests like they did a number of years ago where club level guests could purchase extra FP+

So maybe something similar where it is $200/person/day but only guests staying in club level can buy it

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not necessarily. If you and/or your family can afford whatever this express pass costs, you were already probably buying a LLMP.
The difference is that your LLMP gets you way less rides in a day. The number of people using a line skip system may not change but the ones using the premium system would in theory enter a lot more attractions, especially on busy days.

If they replace LLMP with a high priced premium pass and individual LLs for select attractions (with a cap on quantity sold) then a lot less total LL riders per attraction per day which should make standby waits lower which benefits everyone.

MrPromey

I think this could be attractive to people as would be more simple than LLMP - but they really have to thread the needle of pricing it high enough so that only a small % of people buy I but not too much that it impacts VIP tour purchases

I could see it only being available to select guests like they did a number of years ago where club level guests could purchase extra FP+

So maybe something similar where it is $200/person/day but only guests staying in club level can buy it
Universal's lowest tier of express pass is between $89.99 and $289.99 per day, depending on the day, in parks that are much less crowded.

It seems unlikely that Disney would be pricing this at $200 or less per day.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Is Disney having trouble filling the Deluxe resorts? That would be the only reason to do this.

TheMaxRebo

Universal's lowest tier of express pass is between $89.99 and $289.99 per day, depending on the day, in parks that are much less crowded.

It seems unlikely that Disney would be pricing this at $200 or less per day.

But that is why I said it would only be available to select guests, so you already have to be paying for a club level room at a deluxe resort before you are even able to spend the $200/day in my scenario

If it is open to everyon I agree it will need to be higher, probably like as much as $400/day for MK on busy days (much more than that and starting to get into VIP tour range if you multiply by 10 people that the tours cover up to)

Purduevian

I think the main difference is people assuming Disney will still keep Lightning Lane Multi Pass as well, which just means even more people are in the fast lane.

let's play a game.. assuming this happens... what do you think the price will be per park?
I think there would be 2 goals of this new system.
1) Increase profits
2) Keep LL use approximately equal to what it currently is

The way to do this is to give out less LL slots to the LLMP users (which will be taken by the LLPA users), but also price LLPA higher than their capacity use.

For instance lets say Haunted mansion gives 300 LLMPs away each hour. Now instead they give out 5% less at 285 per hour. With the assumption that 15 LLPA users would come during that hour.

Now for profits, if we assume the average LLMP user gets 5 LLs a day and LLPA would get 15. LLPA simply needs to cost more than 3X the cost of LLMP.

The winners of this are Disney ($) and LLPA users (more rides)
The loser of this is the LLMP user (will get less rides as those "slots" are now taken by LLPA)
Average standby wait time wouldn't be affected (it would eb and flow more based on how many LLPA arrive). I assume

Disney would quickly learn the LLPA guest patterns and smooth out the total LL usage by throttling the LLMP slots given per hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom