WDW Haunted Mansion Graveyard Ghosts Getting New Paint Jobs

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
the setting is a retirement for ghosts.

You're still trying to add a story here. Why would one try to follow us home? Why are the ghosts in the ballroom consigned to repeat the same actions over and over (e.g., the duel) as if they were cursed and not just enjoying their retirement? Why is someone trying to get out of a casket... sounds like torture to me.

celluloid

You're still trying to add a story here. Why would one try to follow us home? Why are the ghosts in the ballroom consigned to repeat the same actions over and over (e.g., the duel) as if they were cursed and not just enjoying their retirement? Why is someone trying to get out of a casket... sounds like torture to me.

Listen to the script I am not adding anything. All of that is addressed. It does not need detailed backstories or.major subplots. That is as above, a major issue with the current bride. The ride does not have a story in a plot sense, but a throughline or theme. It is a series of scenes tied together with that. I am not adding anything. I am agreeing with you. It is a loose tie together.
Why are you trying to get into the mind of a ghost by thinking repeating things are torture(all ride animation is looping or resetting animation) by definition, a ghost or a haunting is an aprarition of a spirit's memory or former actions. So not sure why that would be hard to imagine repeating actions in a ride that is meant to be seen the same as possible by every guest ever four to five seconds is doing or repeating things it did in life. You are the one adding layers sir.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Listen to the script I am not adding anything. All of that is addressed. Not adding a story. It is not a story on a plot sense, but a throughline or, theme. It is a series of scenes tied together with that. I am not adding anything. I am agreeing with you. It is a loose tie together.
Why are you trying to get into the mind of a ghost by thinking repeating things are torture(all ride animation is looping or resetting animation) by definition, a ghost or a haunting is an aprarition of a spirit's memory or former actions. So not sure why that would be hard to imagine repeating actions in a ride that is meant to be seen the same as possible by every guest ever four to five seconds is doing or repeating things it did in life. You are the one adding layers sir.

It's false narration. It's some imagineer that put together that script to try to create a byline. There's always a vignette or two to be a counter-example to any through-line whether created by fans or the imagineering team.

celluloid

It's false narration. It's some imagineer that put together that script to try to create a byline. There's always a vignette or two to be a counter-example to any through-line whether created by fans or the imagineering team.
Isn't anything that makes it into the published attraction created by an Imagineer(s)?
The Paul Frees performed narration that has been in the attraction
since opening is a false narration? Ok. That is one way to look at it. I am not saying old WED was perfect. It it is a solid throughline.

I can find plotholes in anything and the current bride is certainly out of tone in my opinion whether you utilize what the Frees Narration guides or not. But, opinions.

Magenta Panther

Quite personally I prefer the current bride. If only she didnt feel like the dfrozen animations/facetracking then MAYBE she would feel more realistic to me. Overall though, I feel she fits with the ride properly.

But this is just me, I know others have different thoughts

Her design doesn't match the other ghosts in the Mansion, IMO. Their design was a gentle caricature. Hers is hyper-realistic. And not very scary either...

JoshQuillin

If you've been visiting WDW's Haunted Mansion over the past year, you may have noticed that many of the graveyard ghosts have been receiving new coats of paint. Their 2007 green is being changed to blue, and the ghosts that have already been repainted look great! Ever since early 2019, a couple ghosts have been getting removed at a time, returning a few months later with their new coats. The lighting and scrims have also been getting adjusted.

Here are some screenshots I took from a YouTube video that was recorded by Attractions Tube in March, where you can see the work that's been done. You can see the ghosts that have been repainted and those that haven't, and how a couple are temporarily gone. The following ghosts have been repainted: headless knight, la-la singer, flute player, harp player, bagpipe player, king, queen, princess, and executioner. The following ghosts have been gone as of March 15: drummer and opera singers.

View attachment 462472View attachment 462473View attachment 462474View attachment 462475View attachment 462476

Screenshots are from this video:

The graveyard has really been in need of some TLC and I'm glad my beloved ghosts are getting the touch - ups they deserve. Now because of how construction projects have been halted during the parks' closure, I am assuming that mansion work has also been temporarily put to a stop.

Thanks for the video shout out! (Attractions Tube is my channel) @Imagineer999 if you ever want more HQ grabs just let me know and I'll snag them from the edit timeline for you! I can also give you screen grabs of the raw uncolored video which might have more detail, just less saturation etc.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'd argue that Leota's a focal point as well

The difference being Leota is a passive experience (as we look on at her and the happenings around the room) whereas Constance is more active somehow. (Showy, smarmy dialog and demeanor seemingly directed at us or toward us) There's definitely a tonal shift. Once you leave the attic you're back to passive observation again until the very end of the ride with the "NEW and improved" interactive Hitchhiking Ghosts thus switching back to an active experience; an effect that purists also don't like possibly for that same reason.

Last edited:

Piebald

I used to think that while HM is a great ride, the adjustment from going from the bright Florida sun into the ride that it made the effects less...effective.

Then I rode the one in TDL and realized ours just kind of sucked.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I used to think that while HM is a great ride, the adjustment from going from the bright Florida sun into the ride that it made the effects less...effective.

Then I rode the one in TDL and realized ours just kind of sucked.
It doesn't really "suck," but it could use some TLC. And the sun is pretty bright in Southern California.

FigmentsFangirl

I found that it is best to try to get onto haunted mansion at least the florida mansion, after the sun starts to set, or has already set entirely, so its dark already, therefore your eyes are already used to the darkness, it helps make the dark ride more immersive {same thing for me when it comes to spaceship earth, go onto the ride after dark,m no line, and my eyes are already used to the dark so the ride really gives more show}

Dragonman

More old Haunted Mansion-y goodness:

Tokyo preserved a lot of the older stuff, but what it doesn't have is that isolated park feel of the original WDW cemetery, situated just inland from the river. Tokyo's is in a courtyard you just walk around, on the other side of the sidewalk from Dumbo, lol.

Tokyo preserved pretty much all the original WDW elements. They came too late to receive the screaming graveyard pop ups or the web man however.

celluloid

Tokyo preserved pretty much all the original WDW elements. They came too late to receive the screaming graveyard pop ups or the web man however.

True, plus Tokyo's cooridor of doors is even creepier as it has the painting pushing face.

Last edited:

MotherOfBirds

She was until they decided to drag her original characterization kicking and screaming until it turned into something Constance-adjacent. Someone in the story department in WDI must have a thing for brides who are into nuptial doom...

Oh, don't even get me started on the refurb. I already subjected the forum to my assessment in that thread when the low light videos came out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom