WDW guests can tweet Disney for help during their vacation.

PhotoDave219

Even though stats say otherwise? Okay then.

I question the methodology of those statistics.

I understand I just infuriated the entire Disney podcast Community but I really don't care. 99% or more of the guests traveling to the Walt Disney World resort are not going to look at a Disney podcast or listen to a Disney podcast or care about a Disney podcast.

WDWFan_Boston

I'm not sure why you feel the need to tear down @WDWTodayPodcast in order to make a point that isn't very germane.

The point is, when one searches Twitter for WDWToday, this is what they see:

http://i.imgur.com/lwx8Yh8.png

I submit that it is likely confusing to enough people that WDW should have chosen something different.

Perhaps the people who would turn to Twitter to ask questions about WDW are Twitter-savy enough to not get confused though.

Time will tell.

Why would WDW feel compelled to choose a different Twitter name? The name Walt Disney World and all of it's derivatives belong to Disney, not to some folks making a (sorry) non-mainstream podcast. They are going to name their handle whatever they want, because they can.

I agree with what was said before: if someone can't see the word podcast in the name, that's not Disney's fault, it's their own.

wdwtopten

Why would WDW feel compelled to choose a different Twitter name? The name Walt Disney World and all of it's derivatives belong to Disney, not to some folks making a (sorry) non-mainstream podcast. They are going to name their handle whatever they want, because they can.

I agree with what was said before: if someone can't see the word podcast in the name, that's not Disney's fault, it's their own.

They can name it whatever they want. On that, I agree with you.

*Should* they name it WDWToday? In my opinion, if the decision were up to me, I wouldn't.

wdwtopten

I question the methodology of those statistics.

I understand I just infuriated the entire Disney podcast Community but I really don't care. 99% or more of the guests traveling to the Walt Disney World resort are not going to look at a Disney podcast or listen to a Disney podcast or care about a Disney podcast.

I question the methodology of *your* statistics.

jakeman

I'm not sure why you feel the need to tear down @WDWTodayPodcast in order to make a point that isn't very germane.

The point is, when one searches Twitter for WDWToday, this is what they see:

I submit that it is likely confusing to enough people that WDW should have chosen something different.

Perhaps the people who would turn to Twitter to ask questions about WDW are Twitter-savy enough to not get confused though.

Time will tell.
How exactly was I "tear[ing] down" the podcast? I provided numbers, half of which you yourself provided. The other set came directly from Twitter.

And honestly, I'm not a copyright or trademark guy, but if Disney really thought this was an issue, they probably could have just sent the podcasters a C&D, right?

HolleBolleGijs

And honestly, I'm not a copyright or trademark guy, but if Disney really thought this was an issue, they probably could have just sent the podcasters a C&D, right?

Even if they could (I'm not sure this is the case), they wouldn't be able to do it without taking down every other Disney-related Twitter account. They can't discriminate when it comes to copyrights/trademarks.

wdwtopten

How exactly was I "tear[ing] down" the podcast? I provided numbers, half of which you yourself provided. The other set came directly from Twitter.

I read the tone of your comments as belittling toward the @WDWTodayPodcast because they didn't have as many followers as @WDWToday. My apologies if I misunderstood.

Also, I would hope that WDW wouldn't be in the business of "shutting down" or hassling their biggest supporters.

(For what it's worth, one of the hosts of the WDWTodayPodcast is the guy who runs touringplans.com)

wdwtopten

I had no idea the podcast existed, I reckon the same is true for many people.

I don't doubt that, but my point has always been that there is the potential for confusion between the 2 Twitter accounts, despite the popularity (or obscurity) of the podcast.

jakeman

I read the tone of your comments as belittling toward the @WDWTodayPodcast because they didn't have as many followers as @WDWToday. My apologies if I misunderstood.

Also, I would hope that WDW wouldn't be in the business of "shutting down" or hassling their biggest supporters.

(For what it's worth, one of the hosts of the WDWTodayPodcast is the guy who runs touringplans.com)
Yeah, I don't really care who runs what. If you'd like, I could link a couple folk around here who really get hot and bothered by that though.

If you took my statement that an official twitter account of the largest theme park resort in the world has more followers than a minor fan podcast as belittlement then economies of scale may be lost on you. :D

cspencer96

Want to know why Disney picked @WDWToday and not something stupid, regardless of the fact that there is an unofficial podcast called WDW Today? Because they could.

The handle WDWToday agreed with the branding already established by @DisneylandToday. The username was available. They claimed it.

Any argument is moot because of the two parties. One is a giant media conglomerate, and the other is an (again) unofficial podcast dedicated to said conglomerate. If WDW Today (the podcast) had wanted that handle, they'd have claimed it already and Disney likely would've requested of Matt and the guys that it be ceded over to them. Disney did what made sense. How do we have multiple pages debating this, and not just praising this expansion of a social customer service presence that is loved at DLR over to WDW? Ridiculous.

TL;DR: They did it because they're Disney, and they can. Simple.

cspencer96

They wouldn't. That's not what happened. Its a branding thing on the part of a massive company, plain and simple. Done. Right there.
We know. His name is @lentesta.

wdwtopten

They wouldn't. That's not what happened. Its a branding thing on the part of a massive company, plain and simple. Done. Right there.

We know. His name is @lentesta.

I can't tell if you are trolling, or sincere. I'll assume the later.

This is obviously a branding thing. No doubt. You're not offering any new information there. No doubt about that either.

My point isn't that they couldn't do it, or questioning why they did it, or that Disney isn't a big company. My point is that it is potentially confusing because when you search for WDWToday on Twitter, there are two accounts with that exact name, as pointed out in the very first post of this thread. Will most people be confused? Probably not. But I'm willing to bet that some will and I wonder how WDW will deal with upset guests who tweet to the wrong account and then march over to Guest Relations to moan and groan to the poor CM on duty.

cspencer96

I can't tell if you are trolling, or sincere. I'll assume the later.

This is obviously a branding thing. No doubt. You're not offering any new information there. No doubt about that either.

My point isn't that they couldn't do it, or questioning why they did it, or that Disney isn't a big company. My point is that it is potentially confusing because when you search for WDWToday on Twitter, there are two accounts with that exact name, as pointed out in the very first post of this thread. Will most people be confused? Probably not. But I'm willing to bet that some will and I wonder how WDW will deal with upset guests who tweet to the wrong account and then march over to Guest Relations to moan and groan to the poor CM on duty.
And my point is that Disney doesn't care about your point.

Plus, @WDWToday is verified by Twitter. @WDWTodayPodcast is not. That means that for the majority of people, the first result will be the one with a blue check mark screaming "HEY YOU TWEET ME I'M THE COMPANY!" Twitter search results are also adjusted for each person, which means it is very likely that our search results (as fans of Disney, which no doubt Twitter's algorithms have picked up on) are different from the Guest who will actually be Tweeting this account for help during their vacation. For you and me, the one we already follow and have followed for a while comes up first. For others, the one Twitter feels they most likely are looking for comes up first.

Nick Wilde

Those are the @names, but not the names displayed in bold above them. They both say WDW Today.

The official one will appear first in the search. There's a big blue check mark. Also, the @names. If you do happen to not see those 3 big clues and click on the wrong one, which is a 50/50 chance anyway, you'll quickly see it's a podcast, not the official Disney one, and you'll go back and click on the right one. It's not going to be that big of a problem. Very few will miss all of those signs, and if they do, like I said, I don't know what to tell 'em.

cspencer96

Very few will miss all of those signs, and if they do, like I said, I don't know what to tell 'em.
Those are the people I truly worry about. Them, and the ones who can't figure out how to touch one piece of plastic on their wrist to another light-up piece of plastic that they just watched everyone before them interact with the whole time they were waiting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom