WDW from airplane

Tornado

Wow, looking at those pictures it amazes me how much land they have sitting unused around Animal Kingdom. They could expand it so much and make it a great park.

waltdisny

westie said:
I've heard that pilots use it as a point of reference but...
Not really, WDW doesn't appear on any charts for MCO. There are a few references to Lake Buena Vista on the charts for Orlando Executive and Sanderson.

In general, the MCO arrivals do not pass over WDW due to geometry. MCO has 4 north-south runways. Very few flights arrive from the west, due to geography and Tampa traffic. Also, Due to the close proximity of 4 major cities and a limited land area, ATC has worked out a regional plan where southbound arrivals generally come down the east side of Florida, and Northbound departures go up the west side. Most arrivals for MCO therefore approach from the northeast and east. So an overflight of the park (which is west of MCO) requires a significant detour. Incidently the arrivals into MCO have names like MICKY, GOOFY, and MAGIC.

Your best bet for seeing the parks is on departure. If you take-off to the south from a runway on the west side of the airport, you make a right turn to the north heading for Cross City. The park is visible on the right side of the plane.

Most people are suprized at how hard it is to see from the air. it helps if you can pick up I-4 and follow it to the west with your eyes. Then you can catch the LBV area. From there, the most distinct landmark is actually the Contemporary. Look for a large building right between two lakes. SSE blends in with the landscape from the air.

Wannabe Walt

When we went in Feb. (we flew out of St. Louis, MO) I was looking for WDW for the last 30 minutes (atleast) of our flight! Finally, way after we started decent, I found it! It was right out my window (about 20 miles away :lol: ). I got two pics, but you can't see it in them. I wish you could... I was picking out hotels and everything (I'm glad my brother gave me the window seat when I got back from the bathroom :D ). I could see Spaceship Earth, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, and loads of other stuff. It was awesome.

bgraham34

I have never once seen the parks when I landed or took off. The only time i saw anything that resembled Disney from the air was fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.

RandeB

Fireworks

bgraham34 said:
I have never once seen the parks when I landed or took off. The only time i saw anything that resembled Disney from the air was fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.

Saw the same thing a few years back when our flight was delayed-back when the MK closed at 6-made it easy to locate the World.

Robfasto

SewIn2Disney said:
In my allearsnet.com newsletter, there was an advertisment for a company that does areal pictures of Disney. Check out the link, the pictures are soooo clear!

http://sky-magic.grownup-games.com/allears/a/

Those are the same pictures you can get from all over the web for free at Google Maps, Terraserver & Keyhole to name a few.

If you want to take your own pictures I recommend Sun State Aviation this is the company I used to take my aerial Disney Pictures back in 2002. At the time it was about $75.00 per hour for up to 3 people.

SewIn2Disney

Robfasto said:
Those are the same pictures you can get from all over the web for free at Google Maps, Terraserver & Keyhole to name a few.

If you want to take your own pictures I recommend Sun State Aviation this is the company I used to take my aerial Disney Pictures back in 2002. At the time it was about $75.00 per hour for up to 3 people.
Are you the creater of the DisneyPix website? I reference that sight all the time! It's great when I need a quick Disney fix.....I love looking at all the pictures.

SpenceMan01

SewIn2Disney said:
In my allearsnet.com newsletter, there was an advertisment for a company that does areal pictures of Disney. Check out the link, the pictures are soooo clear!

http://sky-magic.grownup-games.com/allears/a/

:sohappy:AWESOME. Just too awesome. I was looking into printing my own, but it would have been upwards of $100 for large scale printing. That doesn't include the uv-treatment, etc. Great find! I'm at the end of my current spending spree (Benedict XVI books...and a Stein! :D), but I will be getting one of these very soon! :sohappy:

Cuseorng1

When i lived in Orlando, i use to travel out of MCO every week for work. And like Wannbe Walt mentioned, the only time I would see WDW was when i flying in from St. Louis. And when you fly in that way and have to land coming from the north. You fly over to Disney, and make a turn and fly right up I-4 over Universal, then after Universal, you start making the turn for final approach. Sorry i dont have any pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom