WDW Florida or Disneyland California

sponono88

"Quality" is a matter of opinion and that goes along with personal bias.

I feel WDW has so much more quality than DLR because DLR doesn't offer the grand scale of the Magic Kingdom, the world showcase of Epcot, Sunset Boulevard from MGM, nor the attention to detail and jungle/tropical atomosphere of Animal Kingdom. (I could seriously go on and on and post other reasons if you really want)

The only "quality" you can come up with is a couple of dark rides and face characters. Things that truly don't matter and are so small in the scope and scale that is the WDW vacation experience.

I've never been to DLR and haven't yet seen a reason to want to go.

Are you serious? :lol:

It's ok if you love WDW. You have every right to have your own opinion. However, the fact that you've never been to DL makes you look ignorant and you lose all credibility.

How can you say that DL doesn't have the quality that WDW has? Is this supposed to be a joke? You've never even been to the place! :confused: DL was not meant to be experienced through pictures and YouTube videos. I don't know how you can consider yourself a Disney fan if you love to hate Walt's original park.

TP2000

The majority of Americans share the same opinion that I have.

But the annual attendance figures don't support that argument.

In 2006 the attendance for the two parks in question were;

Magic Kingdom 16.6 Million
Disneyland 14.7 Million

If a majority of Americans felt the Magic Kingdom was vastly superior to Disneyland than the attendance figures would be much further apart. :confused:

For the original poster from England who started this thread, you've just seen firsthand how some American Disney fans can get a little passionate about the Disney Park closest to where they live. As an American, it's a bit embarassing to let our friends overseas see how bizarre we can take this topic.

Some background info on why it's gotten this bizarre in this thread.... Floridians tend to get the most defensive lately, as the Disney Company has been paying more attention to Disneyland the past few years and Disneyland's political clout has grown in stature lately. John Lasseter is now a very heavy hitter in the Disney corporate structure, and he worked for several years at Disneyland as a Jungle Cruise Skipper, Raft Driver, etc. and visits Disneyland with his family regularly. Mr. Lasseter's inherent interest in Disneyland has shifted the tide in Anaheim's favor and now there's a great deal of corporate attention being paid to Disneyland Resort. That tends to get some folks back East riled up a bit, as you've now seen firsthand. :eek: Especially if those folks have never even been to Disneyland and don't know much of what they speak of. :lol:

As for truly wonderful Disney theme experiences, in my opinion nothing can beat the Tokyo Disney Resort experience. On a scale of 1 to 10; WDW is a 6, Disneyland is a 7, and Tokyo Disney is a 9.5. Tokyo is truly setting the pace and upholding the original standards of what a Disney theme park experience is all about. :sohappy:

TP2000

There's seriously nothing more you could add to your "quality" debate because if you don't like dark rides (which I don't), or don't really care about Walt Disney's history with the park then there's really nothing more you could add.

How about the half-baked job they did last year on the Pirates rehab at WDW? At Disneyland they replaced every speaker, every light fixture and added all sorts of new technology, even though they had done a similarly thorough modernization of that equipment back in 1997. The ride at Disneyland opened after a four month closure looking sparkling new, with crystal clear audio and brilliant lighting throughout.

At WDW they worked with a much smaller budget and only added in new speakers where there was new dialogue. As you ride in your boat at WDW you float past muddled 1970's speakers muffling the audio, then past a new 21st century speaker clearly working, and then on to the old 1970's stuff again. Sure WDW has a shorter 8 minute ride instead of the 15 minute long ride that Disneyland has, but that's still no excuse. Even on the WDW boards people have commented on the different sound qualities as you go through the WDW version of Pirates.

And the WDW management made the Imagineers stop their shortened rehab halfway through to open up the ride for Easter Vacation crowds for two weeks. At Disneyland the ride stayed closed for four months straight, right through Easter. I can see the need to reopen the ride for two weeks in the middle of a big rehab due to capacity issues, since Magic Kingdom doesn't have nearly as many rides as Disneyland does (particularly E Tickets). But it really threw a monkey wrench into the need to update that old 1973 pirate ride.

It's fascinating that the original 1967 version of Pirates at Disneyland has had more thorough updating than the other versions, even though it was already a superior version from an artistic standpoint.

But then that is a perfect example of how the operating philosophies differ between the Florida property and the California property. The dismal condition of the Florida versions of Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island, etc. could fill up a dozen other threads. But lets just use Pirates of the Caribbean as a perfect example of the Disneyland difference.

DisneyYorkian74

But the annual attendance figures don't support that argument.

In 2006 the attendance for the two parks in question were;

Magic Kingdom 16.6 Million
Disneyland 14.7 Million

If a majority of Americans felt the Magic Kingdom was vastly superior to Disneyland than the attendance figures would be much further apart. :confused:

Everybody knows that 60% of that 14.7 million visitors ALL live within 50 miles of DLR and are just locals.

While pracitcially all of WDW visitors are from out of state and are tourists.

DLR could never survive on its own if it relied on tourists.

BTW: I'm not even a Floridian, I'm a New Yorker (Hence my name).

The only people who even notice that a little bit of attention is being added to DLR are Disney theme park fans and Californians.

People in New York and Florida are still completely oblivious to the fact that DLR even exists.

Not that I blame them. I never knew where DLR existed either before I became a big WDW fan because TWDC never advertises the place.

DisneyYorkian74

How about the half-baked job they did last year on the Pirates rehab at WDW? At Disneyland they replaced every speaker, every light fixture and added all sorts of new technology, even though they had done a similarly thorough modernization of that equipment back in 1997. The ride at Disneyland opened after a four month closure looking sparkling new, with crystal clear audio and brilliant lighting throughout.

At WDW they worked with a much smaller budget and only added in new speakers where there was new dialogue. As you ride in your boat at WDW you float past muddled 1970's speakers muffling the audio, then past a new 21st century speaker clearly working, and then on to the old 1970's stuff again. Sure WDW has a shorter 8 minute ride instead of the 15 minute long ride that Disneyland has, but that's still no excuse. Even on the WDW boards people have commented on the different sound qualities as you go through the WDW version of Pirates.

And the WDW management made the Imagineers stop their shortened rehab halfway through to open up the ride for Easter Vacation crowds for two weeks. At Disneyland the ride stayed closed for four months straight, right through Easter. I can see the need to reopen the ride for two weeks in the middle of a big rehab due to capacity issues, since Magic Kingdom doesn't have nearly as many rides as Disneyland does (particularly E Tickets). But it really threw a monkey wrench into the need to update that old 1973 pirate ride.

It's fascinating that the original 1967 version of Pirates at Disneyland has had more thorough updating than the other versions, even though it was already a superior version from an artistic standpoint.

But then that is a perfect example of how the operating philosophies differ between the Florida property and the California property. The dismal condition of the Florida versions of Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Tiki Room, Tom Sawyer Island, etc. could fill up a dozen other threads. But lets just use Pirates of the Caribbean as a perfect example of the Disneyland difference.

Blah, Blah, Blah...:p

If you read my posts before it already dealt with those dark rides that I and a lot of other visitors to WDW find boring.

As I said before,

"I feel WDW has so much more quality than DLR because DLR doesn't offer the grand scale of the Magic Kingdom, the world showcase of Epcot, Sunset Boulevard from MGM, nor the attention to detail and jungle/tropical atomosphere of Animal Kingdom. (I could seriously go on and on and post other reasons if you really want)"

I can also think of other experiences like an entire sea aquarium or the ability to swim with dolphins. Oh yea, I'd much rather take swimming with dolphins over a couple of dark rides.

The things you bring up are "Things that truly don't matter and are so small in the scope and scale that is the WDW vacation experience."

The WDI already spent over 200 million dollars on Mission: Space and Expedition Everest. Attractions that the average WDW guests really enjoy.

The average WDW guest doesn't care nor notice how much money was spent on a Pirates refurb. (The average guest doesn't even know what a refurb is...)

I really don't want to continue to repeat myself. The dark rides "quality" debate has already taken place, and there's really nothing more that you DL fans could add.:wave:

TP2000

I really don't want to continue to repeat myself. The dark rides "quality" debate has already taken place, and there's really nothing more that you DL fans could add.

But I wasn't talking about dark rides. I was talking about Pirates of the Caribbean. That's a boat ride. And a big one at that.

A dark ride at Disneyland is classified as the following;

Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue

WDW may not have most of those dark rides, but they do have Peter Pan, Snow White and Pooh as their three dark rides on property. And since there are only three of them, you would think they could dust 'em off every few years. :cool:

TP2000

I never knew where DLR existed either before I became a big WDW fan because TWDC never advertises the place.

They don't advertise Disneyland in New York much the same way they don't advertise Disney World in California.

They also don't advertise In N' Out Burger in New York, much the same way they don't advertise White Castle in California. In N' Out doesn't exist in New York, and White Castle doesn't exist in California.

Two different markets, with products and brands that are marketed only where those products are sold.

Rufus T Firefly

Blah, Blah, Blah...:p

If you read my posts before it already dealt with those dark rides that I and a lot of other visitors to WDW find boring.

As I said before,

"I feel WDW has so much more quality than DLR because DLR doesn't offer the grand scale of the Magic Kingdom, the world showcase of Epcot, Sunset Boulevard from MGM, nor the attention to detail and jungle/tropical atomosphere of Animal Kingdom. (I could seriously go on and on and post other reasons if you really want)"

I can also think of other experiences like an entire sea aquarium or the ability to swim with dolphins. Oh yea, I'd much rather take swimming with dolphins over a couple of dark rides.

The things you bring up are "Things that truly don't matter and are so small in the scope and scale that is the WDW vacation experience."

The WDI already spent over 200 million dollars on Mission: Space and Expedition Everest. Attractions that the average WDW guests really enjoy.

The average WDW guest doesn't care nor notice how much money was spent on a Pirates refurb. (The average guest doesn't even know what a refurb is...)

I really don't want to continue to repeat myself. The dark rides "quality" debate has already taken place, and there's really nothing more that you DL fans could add.:wave:

He's baaack:hammer:

isitingood

Everybody knows that 60% of that 14.7 million visitors ALL live within 50 miles of DLR and are just locals.

While pracitcially all of WDW visitors are from out of state and are tourists.

DLR could never survive on its own if it relied on tourists.

BTW: I'm not even a Floridian, I'm a New Yorker (Hence my name).

The only people who even notice that a little bit of attention is being added to DLR are Disney theme park fans and Californians.

People in New York and Florida are still completely oblivious to the fact that DLR even exists.

Not that I blame them. I never knew where DLR existed either before I became a big WDW fan because TWDC never advertises the place.

You have never been to DL and you say the park couldn't surive if it relied on tourists . Did you get dropped on your head one to many times? How do you know that tourists don't go to DL ,I go every year and I see plenty of tourists at the park. Not only that but I have met plenty of people from Florida at DL so that blows that comment out of the water. It doesn't take a genius to figure out more locals visit DL because Anaheim alone has more people then Orlando not to mention the entire O.C. that surrounds it.

BTW did you forget Alaska,Hawaii, Washington,Colorado, Montana,Oregon,Idaho Arizona,Utah and New Mexico are part of the U.S because plenty of people from these states visit DL as well. I am from Washington so again your local comment is wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom