WDW Florida or Disneyland California

TP2000

Saw an interesting post on another board where someone counted all the theme park attractions at both. Although there are more total in Florida, the difference was much less than I would have thought. Don't have the list here, but the 4 Florida parks only have 10 more attractions total than the 2 parks in California.

That was me! :wave:

I did that compare/contrast thing, and I think it was on this board over in the WDW section, wasn't it? Or was it at Mouseinfo?

I was just as surprised as anyone to see that there was such a slim margin of error between the two properties. No wonder they hardly ever close anything in Florida's Magic Kingdom for rehab and cleaning, as they can't afford to have any of the rides closed! :D

I used the Park Guidemaps from early 2007 for all six North American theme parks to come up with the list of "Attractions". I did knock a few off however, like when each individual train station was counted as an Attraction in the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Or when Animal Kingdom's guidemap tried to claim there were five separate attractions to be had by taking the little train to Conservation Station; I counted that as two attractions - the train ride itself, and then the Conservation Station exhibits. But aside from those types of redundancies, I stuck to the guidemaps as close as I could.

I was most fascinated by the number of classic "dark rides" each property has. WDW only has three of them in the entire place. Disneyland Resort has seven of them split between the two parks; six in Disneyland and one in DCA. And once I realized that, I was even more disapointed in the horrible condition Peter Pan and Snow White were in on my last Florida visit. If you only have to look after three of these types of dark rides instead of seven and you've gone decades without updating the technology (unlike Disneyland's spiffy updated versions), you would think you could at least try to dust 'em off every once in awhile.

If Mr. Lasseter is serious about beefing up DCA in the next five years, and they add the PeopleMover back to Tomorrowland, then that slim attractions count lead WDW has over Disneyland Resort will shrink to almost nothing. :eek:

DisneyYorkian74

From a tourist, entertaining, immersive, memory making, and most "Disney Magical" standpoint...

It's not even a contest, WDW wins hands down!

You can not beat what WDW offers to its visitors. From the moment you pass the "Welcome Signs" everything turns into "Disney."

You can sleep, eat, dream Disney 24/7 and that's something Disneyland just can't offer.

DisneyYorkian74

That was me! :wave:

I did that compare/contrast thing, and I think it was on this board over in the WDW section, wasn't it? Or was it at Mouseinfo?

I was just as surprised as anyone to see that there was such a slim margin of error between the two properties. No wonder they hardly ever close anything in Florida's Magic Kingdom for rehab and cleaning, as they can't afford to have any of the rides closed! :D

I used the Park Guidemaps from early 2007 for all six North American theme parks to come up with the list of "Attractions". I did knock a few off however, like when each individual train station was counted as an Attraction in the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Or when Animal Kingdom's guidemap tried to claim there were five separate attractions to be had by taking the little train to Conservation Station; I counted that as two attractions - the train ride itself, and then the Conservation Station exhibits. But aside from those types of redundancies, I stuck to the guidemaps as close as I could.

I was most fascinated by the number of classic "dark rides" each property has. WDW only has three of them in the entire place. Disneyland Resort has seven of them split between the two parks; six in Disneyland and one in DCA. And once I realized that, I was even more disapointed in the horrible condition Peter Pan and Snow White were in on my last Florida visit. If you only have to look after three of these types of dark rides instead of seven and you've gone decades without updating the technology (unlike Disneyland's spiffy updated versions), you would think you could at least try to dust 'em off every once in awhile.

If Mr. Lasseter is serious about beefing up DCA in the next five years, and they add the PeopleMover back to Tomorrowland, then that slim attractions count lead WDW has over Disneyland Resort will shrink to almost nothing. :eek:

You're only counting what the 4 theme parks have to offer.

I don't see DLR offering 2 water parks, pro golf courses, water recreational activities, mini-golf, Disney Quest, Cirque Du Solei, Pleasure Island, Wide World of Sports, etc...

The margin of attractions WDW has to offer compared to DLR does not even come close.

As for the theme parks themselves,

I'd much rather have attractions like Test Track, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Mission: Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Expedition Everest over a couple of dark rides that are all basically the same anyway.

Nicole220

You're only counting what the 4 theme parks have to offer.

I don't see DLR offering 2 water parks, pro golf courses, water recreational activities, mini-golf, Disney Quest, Cirque Du Solei, Pleasure Island, Wide World of Sports, etc...

The margin of attractions WDW has to offer compared to DLR does not even come close.

As for the theme parks themselves,

I'd much rather have attractions like Test Track, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Mission: Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Expedition Everest over a couple of dark rides that are all basically the same anyway.
The difference between the DLR and WDW is quality and quantity.

Disneyland has some quality attractions that are in very good shape. However, Disneyland does not have as much to offer like WDW. WDW has many theme parks, rides, resorts, etc. But many of those things are not in the best of shape like in DL.

I would much rather take quality rides and attractions over a lot of things to do and have them all be in crappy shape. The rides at WDW don't even compare to those at Disneyland...

I would love to have Test Track, Expedition Everest, Rock N Rollercoaster, etc, but if I had to choose between dirty rides where the sound doesn't work with the rides mentioned above, to clean, working rides without those amazing rides, I would choose the latter.

DisneyYorkian74

I would much rather take quality rides and attractions over a lot of things to do and have them all be in crappy shape. The rides at WDW don't even compare to those at Disneyland...

I have been to WDW many times and have never seen any attraction that I've experienced in "crappy shape."

So what attractions are you taking about?

And I think WDW still offers better quality and quantity, but that's my opinion.

Nicole220

I have been to WDW many times and have never seen any attraction that I've experienced in "crappy shape."

So what attractions are you taking about?

And I think WDW still offers better quality and quantity, but that's my opinion.
Space Mountain - slow, bumpy, you can see everything, and I feel like I'm going to fall out. Our refurb. did wonders! Have you been on DL's? It is in a whole other league.
Haunted Mansion- shorter, audio not working, not in good shape.
Pirates of the Caribbean is lacking.
Dinosaur- AA's not working, audio not working all the time, it seems like it's a few plants and AAs thrown into a room.
Splash Mountain - I like DL's better, it's the one I grew up with. WDW's is lacking. Not as many AAs, different soundtrack, smaller sets and area to me.
TOT - 3rd dimension is cool, but really added nothing much in my opinion. DCA's is better imho. I found DCA's to be more thrilling.
Tiki Room - Thank God we didn't get that horrific new managment...

That's all we saw in MK because we don't like to spend our time there when we have our own a few minutes away from home.

Another area where you can apply quality to is in the entertainment. Most of WDW's face characters look nothing like their character. Disneyland on the other hand, has some amazing face characters that are dead on.

You are entitled to your own opinion, and so am I.

DisneyYorkian74

Another area where you can apply quality to is in the entertainment. Most of WDW's face characters look nothing like their character. Disneyland on the other hand, has some amazing face characters that are dead on.

Face characters, are you kidding me?

I understand we both have our personal bias but come on.

WDW clearly offers better entertainment. Cirque Du Soleil alone is better than anything I've seen DLR offering.

Not to mention Finding Nemo the Musical, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Festival of the Lion King, Lights, Motors, Action!, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Dream Along with Mickey, SpectroMagic parade, Illuminations, etc... (The list could go on and on)

All of those certain forms of entertainment are not found in Disneyland.

Most of the other attractions you listed above the average WDW guest doesn't even care about or is just your personal bias talking.

As I've said before, from a tourist, ect... stand point, WDW will give you a much better overall "Disney" experience.

Nicole220

Face characters, are you kidding me?

I understand we both have our personal bias but come on.

WDW clearly offers better entertainment. Cirque Du Soleil alone is better than anything I've seen DLR offering.

Not to mention Finding Nemo the Musical, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Festival of the Lion King, Lights, Motors, Action!, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Dream Along with Mickey, SpectroMagic parade, Illuminations, etc... (The list could go on and on)

All of those certain forms of entertainment are not found in Disneyland.

Most of the other attractions you listed above the average WDW guest doesn't even care about or is just your personal bias talking.

As I've said before, from a tourist, ect... stand point, WDW will give you a much better overall "Disney" experience.
The entertainment I was referring to was the face characters, and face characters only. Sorry if that was confusing.

Are you kidding me? The rides I listed above are ones that many visitors go on daily! Except for maybe Tiki Room, I have seen all of those rides exceed an hour wait on multiple occasions. Of course people care about them! I just listed most of the main rides in MK, and you're telling me that people don't care about them??

I will admit that I am a bit biased because I've grown up with Disneyland in my backyard my whole life. But the state that WDW's rides are in, in comparason to those at DL, is just plain obvious...even to those that don't go to either park as often as some of us do. My cousins have been to both parks on multiple occasions and have agreed that the quality at Disneyland is much better than that in WDW.

DisneyYorkian74

The entertainment I was referring to was the face characters, and face characters only. Sorry if that was confusing.

Are you kidding me? The rides I listed above are ones that many visitors go on daily! Except for maybe Tiki Room, I have seen all of those rides exceed an hour wait on multiple occasions. Of course people care about them! I just listed most of the main rides in MK, and you're telling me that people don't care about them??

I will admit that I am a bit biased because I've grown up with Disneyland in my backyard my whole life. But the state that WDW's rides are in, in comparason to those at DL, is just plain obvious...even to those that don't go to either park as often as some of us do. My cousins have been to both parks on multiple occasions and have agreed that the quality at Disneyland is much better than that in WDW.

If the average American was given a list of attractions and they saw Test Track, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Mission: Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Expedition Everest compared to Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, or face characters :lol: , I'm 100% positive that person would choose the offerings at WDW.

You can argue till your fingers get tired that DLR offers better dark rides, but those rides are the rides that only Disney FANS really care about. Sure a lot of other casual Disney theme park visitors enjoy them too but they're not going to care if one has better special effects or if one is longer. Only Disney fans are going to notice that.

I'm not going to continue to debate over personal bias because we're never going to agree. So unless you have a good reason why DLR would be a better vacation experience over WDW other than they offer better face characters:lol: or better boring dark rides then we're both really wasting our time.

BTW: I wish I could give you examples of people telling me that WDW is much better than DLR. But I actually don't know anyone in real life who has actually been to DLR. In fact, I'm lucky if they even know about Disneyland or where it's actually located.

Nicole220

If the average American was given a list of attractions and they saw Test Track, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Mission: Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, and Expedition Everest compared to Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, or face characters :lol: , I'm 100% positive that person would choose the offerings at WDW.

You can argue till your fingers get tired that DLR offers better dark rides, but those rides are the rides that only Disney FANS really care about. Sure a lot of other casual Disney theme park visitors enjoy them too but they're not going to care if one has better special effects or if one is longer. Only Disney fans are going to notice that.

I'm not going to continue to debate over personal bias because we're never going to agree. So unless you have a good reason why DLR would be a better vacation experience over WDW other than they offer better face characters:lol: or better boring dark rides then we're both really wasting our time.

BTW: I wish I could give you examples of people telling me that WDW is much better than DLR. But I actually don't know anyone in real life who has actually been to DLR. In fact, I'm lucky if they even know about Disneyland or where it's actually located.
My main argument wasn't that DL has more quality so that makes it the better place to visit. It was just that it has more quality than WDW. I know that WDW is the better vacation destination, that can easily be seen. I don't want to argue about why one is a better destination than the other. It all depends on what you want.

Have you even been to Disneyland?

DisneyYorkian74

My main argument wasn't that DL has more quality so that makes it the better place to visit. It was just that it has more quality than WDW. I know that WDW is the better vacation place, that can easily be seen.

Have you even been to Disneyland?

"Quality" is a matter of opinion and that goes along with personal bias.

I feel WDW has so much more quality than DLR because DLR doesn't offer the grand scale of the Magic Kingdom, the world showcase of Epcot, Sunset Boulevard from MGM, nor the attention to detail and jungle/tropical atomosphere of Animal Kingdom. (I could seriously go on and on and post other reasons if you really want)

The only "quality" you can come up with is a couple of dark rides and face characters. Things that truly don't matter and are so small in the scope and scale that is the WDW vacation experience.

I've never been to DLR and haven't yet seen a reason to want to go.

Nicole220

I feel WDW has so much more quality than DLR because DLR doesn't offer the grand scale of the Magic Kingdom, the world showcase of Epcot, Sunset Boulevard from MGM, nor the attention to detail and jungle/tropical atomosphere of Animal Kingdom. (I could seriously go on and on and post other reasons if you really want)

The only "quality" you can come up with is a couple of dark rides and face characters. Things that truly don't matter and are so small in the scope and scale that is the WDW vacation experience.

Then why try and argue that WDW has more quality than Disneyland, when you haven't even been there?!?

Having DL be small gives it a more intimate feel. It has a different feel than the grandness that MK has. It has charm and heart, and some of that comes from the fact that it is the only finished park that Walt Disney walked through. Does MK have a special room that Walt built so that he could stay and watch people come and go through his park? It gives a "homey" feel that MK doesn't have. In MK, people are rushing through everything, trying to fit everything in so they can move on to the next park. You don't get that at DL.

Did I say that face characters and some good quality rides were the only things that set DL apart from MK? Nope.

Both are great parks and great resorts. Both have their pros and cons. It's just up to a person's own opinion.

And no, it's ok, you don't need to go on. I think this discussion can end here. I think it could go on and on...

Rufus T Firefly

How can you expect anybody in this thread to take your argument seriously when you freely admit that you have never been to Disneyland and you don't know anyone who has ever been to Disneyland? :lol:

DisneyYorkian74

Having DL be small gives it a more intimate feel. It has a different feel than the grandness that MK has. It has charm and heart, and some of that comes from the fact that it is the only finished park that Walt Disney walked through. Does MK have a special room that Walt built so that he could stay and watch people come and go through his park? It gives a "homey" feel that MK doesn't have. In MK, people are rushing through everything, trying to fit everything in so they can move on to the next park. You don't get that at DL.

Did I say that face characters and some good quality rides were the only things that set DL apart from MK? Nope.

I hate that I always feel the need to have the last word!:dazzle:

I love Magic Kingdom's "gradness" and I'd say it has 10X more magic and charm than Disneyland has. (Personal Opinion/Bias)

I associate Disney and Magic Kingdom as being huge, over the top, and jaw dropping.

"Small" & "Cozy" are not things that I associate Disney theme parks with.

There's seriously nothing more you could add to your "quality" debate because if you don't like dark rides (which I don't), or don't really care about Walt Disney's history with the park then there's really nothing more you could add.

Now please help me out and not reply to this post... lol:p

Nicole220

I hate that I always feel the need to have the last word!:dazzle:

I love Magic Kingdom's "gradness" and I'd say it has 10X more magic and charm than Disneyland has. (Personal Opinion/Bias)

I associate Disney and Magic Kingdom as being huge, over the top, and jaw dropping.

"Small" & "Cozy" are not things that I associate Disney theme parks with.

There's seriously nothing more you could add to your "quality" debate because if you don't like dark rides (which I don't), or don't really care about Walt Disney's history with the park then there's really nothing more you could add.

Now please help me out and not reply to this post... lol:p
Ok I won't....

oops....:lookaroun :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom