WDW Epcot Refurbishment Open Brainstorming

mharrington

Original Poster
This is the second in a series of threads on refurbishment brainstorming for WDW parks. The first one was on the Magic Kingdom. This one is all about Epcot. So start pouring your ideas in! This is open to anyone! Come on in, we enjoy help!

One thing that is definitely going to redone is the Imagination pavilion...:animwink:

mharrington

Original Poster
I think the main objective for Future World is to lessen the amount of characterization in the pavilions, especially in The Living Seas... Oh, excuse me, I mean, The Seas With Nemo and Friends.

And I can't wait to see your SSE Finale!

Disneyson 1

Sorin' Over The World(Land):

“Sorin’ to flight deck, you are clear for liftoff.”

The large, safe-like doors part as a brilliant blue is visible behind the doors, clouded by real smoke coming from either side of the door. The blue gradually disappears as the room fills with smoke and the doors aren’t visible any more. The hang gliders rise in the darkness as the music starts to build and finally, when the vehicles are set, the cymbal crash that originally goes with the golden gate bridge goes with a sudden puff of smoke and the screen suddenly showing you dangling high above the clouds. You sway above the clouds for a moment, then you dip into them as smoke appears and you actually dip a little bit.

(This next part slightly mirrors Living with The Land’s general feeling)

Next you find yourself in the rainforest as an early-morning rainstorm is going on. There are flashes of lightning (ENERGY!!!), but very quiet thunder. You feel the rain in your hair as a cool mist and a calming mildew-ish sent fills the room. You meet many members of the forest, including a fly-by of a toucan and a quick view of a panther. You even pass by a large waterfall.You rise above the rainforest’s leaves and, as the leaves make the screen obscured, you come out of them viewing…

A desert! The climate quickly becomes dry as you soar over the sand dunes and pyramids. You can see the sun almost at the center of the sky as you come close to the ground. Sand is kicked up as you feel the wind of a sandstorm around you. You emerge in…

California’s orange groves! You soar over a little house where outside, a dog is barking at you. You keep going as you see the sun at the center of the sky and the oranges trees under you. You can smell the oranges as you pass by another hanglider. You rise into the clouds as your vision becomes all white and you lower, only to find yourself…

At Cape Canaveral during into a Mission: (into) Space! The sun is starting to set in the sky as you soar right next to a huge spaceship. The deafening roar of liftoff overtakes the room:

“3…2…1…Liftoff!”

The spaceship lifts off, shaking the hang gliders. The plume of smoke leftover engulfs you as real smoke also comes into the room. This means a perfect segway into…

The Living Seas (the real ones)! You smell the faint smell of sea salt and dip towards the sea. You feel as if you can touch it with your feet! The sun is setting and the reflection glimmers on the water. You’re surprised as a blast of water is felt. There’s a large whale under you! You see several other fish swarming around it, and a dolphin pack in the distance. Then you fly right next to…

The Intercoastal Highway (Track… you get it!)! It’s nighttime by now as you follow the roadway full of cars. The cars are speeding along and so are you, as you fly right next to a cloud, which obscures your view long enough to make a quick cut to…

The road leading to Disneyworld!!! You see the cars entering the iconic “Where Dreams Come True” gates as you break off from the road and fly right over…

The Magic Kingdom!!!! You swoop down Main Street with all of the lights on as you come up to Cinderella’s Castle. You see a trail of pixie dust twirl around the spires of the castle and Tinkerbell comes in full view. She zaps the hang gliders with pixie dust and they actually start to sparkle (due to new imbedded fiber-optics in the handrails and the metal “roof’)! You are magically transported to…

Disney’s Hollywood Studios!!! You fly down Hollywood Boulevard with Tink at our side and come up to see the Earful Tower. It sparkles with pixie dust (and we sparkle too) as a blast of pixie dust transports us to…

Disney’s Animal Kingdom!!! We soar around The Tree of Life as it sparkles with pixie dust and Tinkerbell zooms around it. A final blast of pixie dust enchants our hang gliders and finally sends us to…

EPCOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We soar around the countries and, as we pass them, their torches light up. We see the earth globe in the center of the lake sparkle as fireworks start shooting up around it. We see the Dream Catcher soar in next to us and The Dreamfinder gives us a little wink as Figment flies next to us as a bar of “One Little Spark” plays. Finally, we see Spaceship Earth. With a few bars of “Tomorrow’s Child” and the Illuminations theme mixed in for good measure, we fly around the globe with Tink, Dreamfinder, and Figment flying with us. As the globe fills with pixie dust, several patterns of multicolored “communication” reminiscent of the old SSE finale also swirls around the globe. Finally, the fireworks from the lagoon become huge enough to be seen from The Land, which we’re slowly hovering over. The fireworks fill the air as we look up at them and, finally the sky turns to black and the only light left is our pixie dust lights, which gradually fade. We lower back to the ground as the lights come back up and the door, as we see, is back in place.

“Thanks for Sorin’ with us!”

disney111

If money/space was no object and I could do anything I wanted...

FUTURE WORLD:

-The Leave A Legacy tiles will be removed. The entrance plaza will now be filled with beautiful fountains and flowers.

-The Universe of Energy pavillion will change entirely. Ellen's Energy Adventure will close. A new ride will focus on the idea of conserving energy. A interactive area called Energy Adventures! will be the post show to the new attraction.

-A new weather focus pavillion will open where the Wonders of Life building still stands. The pavillion will feature an exciting 3-D experience which puts you in the middle of some scary weather situations.

-The Character Spot area will be re-themed to look more futuristic and less cartoonish.

-Soarin's movie will be updated to include scenes from 'lands' all over the globe.

-Honey I Shrunk the Audience! will be closed.

-Journey into Imagination will get a huge makeover. In fact, although it will have the same theme, it will be a new attraction entirely. The new ride will use Pooh’s Hunny Hunt trackless technology. You will board your circular imaginationmobile and travel wildly throughout many large show scenes.

-ImageWorks will be completely redone with new exhibits.

WORLD SHOWCASE:

-New afternoon parade in World Showcase called the Destination of Dreams Parade. This parade will feature sections devoted to each World Showcase country. It will have elements of the Tapestry of Dreams parade but will also feature some Disney characters. (For example - Aladdin and Jasmine in the Morocco section, Belle and Aurora in the France section, etc.)

-New version of Illuminations titled Illuminations: One World. This will be the biggest and best version yet.

-The Yukon River Adventure will open in Canada. This is a whitewater rafting attraction. It will resemble Grizzly River Run but with a Canada theme.

-The France movie will be updated.

-An Aladdin themed dark ride will open in Morocco.

-A new Switzerland pavillion will be built in between Morocco and Japan. The theme is a quaint Swiss village. A bobsled coaster and an ice-skating show will be the main attractions. A new table service restaurant called St Moritz, built to resemble an actual Swiss chalet, will be added. Three shops will be placed in the new country.

-A martial arts stunt show will open in Japan.

-A new counter service eatery will open in Italy featuring crowd pleasing Italian favorites.

-A Greece pavillion will be added in between Germany and China. The theme will be an ancient Grecian village. A thrilling E-Ticket ride based on classic Greek legends will be added along with a fun play area for children called Pegasus Playspot. A new table service restaraunt and two shops will also be placed in the pavillion. Characters from the film Hercules will appear regularly in this new land.

-Reflections of China will be updated.

-Maelstrom will get a big update. The ride will now be themed entirely to vikings and their adventures. A new movie will be added along with a special exit for those who wish to skip the film.

MRX1985

I have ideas for six new pavilions

Israel

United Arab Emirates

Russia

India

Brazil

Scandinavia (A Bigger new pavillion featuring all countries of Scandinavia and a new version of Maelstrom, plus Tivoli Gardens from Westcot, and another new ride(Looking for ideas on Scandinavian folklore))

Plus new rides for pavillions

Ride the Dragon for China Pavillion (Taken from Westcot)

Meet the World, 360 Bullet Train Show, and Mt. Fuji for Japan Pavillion

Rhine River Cruise and Bavarian Ski Simulator (From Disneyland World Holidayland idea) for Germany Pavillion

Venice Gondolas for Italy Pavillion

Trans European Express (From WESTCOT) and new circlevision film for France Pavillion (Note, need to know more about the Trans European Express ride)

Medieval Jousting Ride (From Disneyland World Holdiayland unbuilt expansion) for UK, plus Vaudeville Theater.

Future World Coming soon.

P.S. The restaurants will be upgraded and have expanded menus. Plus Ashkerus will be restored too.

mharrington

Original Poster
BTW Disney111,

I think you should keep all the cartoon characters out of Epcot, cept for Mickey and those guys.

No, what I think we should do is make Epcot a reliable spot to find the characters, especially at World Showcase, depending on the country of origin. I would really enjoy seeing, say, Pinocchio in, say, the Italy pavilion, for example. You hardly ever see him around anymore and I don't know why.

MRX1985

With the way that they are adding characters from Disney films and tv shows (I.E. Kim Possible Activity), it seems that it's diluting the purpose of EPCOT.

Here is a posting from EPCOT Central that explains my point

The Opposite of Brand

For decades, The Walt Disney Company was a peerless leader in brand development and management. Long before business schools had even defined such concepts, Walt Disney knew that there was Walt Disney, the man, and "Walt Disney" the concept.

Disneyland may be best known as a "theme park," but in essence it was conceived a brand experience. Even if attractions and themed lands like Pirates of the Caribbean and Tomorrowland weren't based on a specific movie, TV show or "entertainment property" (as the phrase is known today), they defined Disney simply by being part of the experience. Prior to their appearance at Disneyland, no pirates had sailed the seven seas in a Disney movie, 999 "happy haunts" were not part of a pre-existing TV series. But because they were created and brought to life by Disney, they became Disney.

Likewise, when he introduced the concept of EPCOT to the world two months before his death, Walt Disney had never revealed publicly his fascination with urban planning and design, transportation technology and sociological issues. But as soon as Walt Disney talked about EPCOT, it, too, became Disney.

When the EPCOT Center theme park finally opened 16 years after Walt's death, it wasn't easy to see how it correlated to his final dream. It was filled with rides, shows and attractions, and even if they weren't the "city of tomorrow" Walt once promised, they were identifiably Disney. They took everything his organization had perfected in the previous five decades and combined them in a way that had never been seen before. The dinosaurs of the Universe of Energy, the dramatic storytelling of Spaceship Earth, the silly inhabitants of the World of Motion, the Dreamfinder and Figment ... all of these things were unfamiliar and new, yet unmistakably Disney.

Disney used to be in charge of its brand, used to revel in the unspoken message that it could define itself any way it wanted to do so. The moment something was created by Disney artists, it became Disney.

Where, then, did Disney lose the ability to define itself?

When did Disney change from being in the creativity business to being in the "brand-management" business?

There can be fewer better (or worse, if you prefer) examples of this than EPCOT Center.

From 1978 to 1982, Disney embarked on a massive marketing and publicity blitz to ensure that every American (for these were, by and large, the days before instantaneous, international communication) knew that "Disney" was now defined by the concept called "EPCOT." Anyone with any awareness of entertainment and popular culture in the late 1970s and early 1980s knew that EPCOT was the newest Disney creation ... even if they didn't quite know what it was.

Viewed from the perspective of today's (ahem) more enlightened marketing perspectives, what Disney did would be seemingly impossible today. The company that was known for lame comedies starring Don Knotts and Dean Jones was dominating the news with a bold message that everything you knew about Disney before would have to be rethought. Disney didn't just mean pixie dust and cartoons, it meant something unexpected, bold and totally out of the ordinary.

That's one of the reasons that it's so disappointing to walk through EPC--, um, Epcot today. Later this month, Disney will introduce a new "Kim Possible" activity at Epcot's World Showcase. Instead of learning about other cultures, sampling their wares and cuisine, and experiencing the underlying message that we're all in this together, Epcot guests can take active part in a commercial for a Disney cartoon. World Showcase just happens to be a great spot for this kind of "synergistic" brand enhancement.

Already, we've seen the Three Caballeros become the representatives of thousands of years of Mexican culture; a journey through the history of this awesome civilization has become a great way to sell some more Donald Duck plush toys.

And, of course, we've seen the awesome mysteries of the oceans that surround us become a tune-filled, happy ride through Nemo's undersea home, with the other high point of Epcot's Living Seas pavilion being a chat with a cartoon turtle, while the real ones go more or less unheralded.

EPCOT Center once "branded" Disney as a remarkable organization that created theme parks unlike any other in the world, with extraordinarily detailed experiences that surrounded guests with truly three-dimensional sets, "actors" and spectacle, that brought a sense of story, purpose and theme to previously unimagined heights.

Had that EPCOT Center concept been allowed to flourish, grow and change, with an eye toward maintaining the notion that "Disney" did not need to be narrowly defined as "benign entertainment for children," it could have been extraordinary.

EPCOT once had a remarkable brand, one that could have been further explored and developed and turned into something that could stand alongside "Disney" as meaning the best that imagination has to offer.

Now, EPCOT is just a meaningless word within the "Disney" brand, and all of its promise and hope have been drained. As a brand opportunity, is has been squandered. It's just 162 acres of staging ground for "brand managers" to play in ... even as they ignore the very concept of what a "brand" actually is. Or could be.
posted by Epcot82 at 1/11/2009 11:36:00 PM | 9 comments links to this post

That's why I am against having things like that in EPCOT.

disney111

BTW Disney111,

I think you should keep all the cartoon characters out of Epcot, cept for Mickey and those guys.

Aww, I like characters in Epcot, as long as they don't go overboard and put them everywhere. I think an Aladdin ride would be good because I think the World Showcase needs a good kid friendly attraction. The Mexico ride just isn't very popular. I love World Showcase now but when I was younger I thought it was pretty boring and there was nothing to do... Even though Epcot is the most adult park it's still Disney which is for families. I don't think one more character-based attractions, a few characters in a parade and some meet-and-greets would hurt anything. :)

mharrington

Original Poster
With the way that they are adding characters from Disney films and tv shows (I.E. Kim Possible Activity), it seems that it's diluting the purpose of EPCOT.

That's why I am against having things like that in EPCOT.

Which is why I'm thinking of going back and completely altering much of the character content, but not eliminate it completely. Here's what I think should happen:

First and foremost, we go back and re-redo the Living Seas to eliminate much of the references to Nemo (I don't really care for those characters, anyway). That Turtle Talk bit will be relocated elsewhere (like maybe the Animal Kingdom where they have that musical).

Next, we will eliminate all references to Kim Possible. I mean, aside from us Disney aficionados, who really remembers her now anyway?

And then... what are we left with? All I can think of is that Lion King show about the environment that's past its prime and also the revised boat ride in Mexico with the Three Caballeros. That's about it.

So what I'm thinking is, as I said before, we seriously alter the Living Seas to focus less on Nemo and more on the sea (if we have to, we can also include a little (not a lot, but a little) bit of "The Little Mermaid"). We could basically rename it back to The Living Seas and eliminate the characters from the outside, even return the great futuristic-style font found outside for the sign and also have the wave effect on the rocks outside again (that is, if it hasn't been removed already).

And as for the Mexico pavilion, I like the idea of the Three Caballeros being there. What could happen is that we have basically combine the best of both worlds. We have the same thematic attraction as the old ride, but also the characters from the new ride. The new new ride would be basically the same ride as the old El Rio del Tiempo, except with the Three Caballeros narrating, and featuring Donald in some screen scenes and Jose Carioca and Panchito in others, culminating in them being there at the closing finale of the fiesta in Mexico City, of course performing the "Three Caballeros" theme. We'll make the new Mexico educational and entertaining simultaneously, just like the old ride was. Obviously, Donald will be voiced by Tony Anselmo. I think we'll have Rob Paulsen voice Jose and Carlos Alazraqui voice Panchito. I believe they were voiced by those actors on the "House of Mouse" show.

And finally, we have different characters in different pavilions, depending on what represented country they originated. I will go over the full list next time. And like I said, I have big plans for the Imagination pavilion...;)

MRX1985

Of course you do mbharrington. Everybody wants to do something with the Imagination pavillion. Still, I really think that characters from films, like Pinnochio and Beauty and the Beast should be in the Magic Kingdom

mharrington

Original Poster
Of course you do mbharrington. Everybody wants to do something with the Imagination pavillion. Still, I really think that characters from films, like Pinnochio and Beauty and the Beast should be in the Magic Kingdom

Well, that's one place where you can find them. But at Epcot, you can actually be sure of seeing them reliably.

wickedfan07

If the characters can help educate Guests, which is a very clear goal in Epcots mission, then the characters blong inEpcot. If Kim Possile is a good way to get the Disney Channel's target audience interested in the cultures and countries presented in World Showcase, then she belongs in World Showcase. If a second-grader can make a connection between lovable Nemo and real sealife (both of which coexist quite well in The Seas with Nemo and Friends), then Nemo is an important addition to tha pavilion.

The trickiest thing about teaching is that you have to constantly reinvent yourself and onstantly rethink the way you teach. Epcot cannot possibly fulfill its 1982 mission with 1982 design and 1982 attractions. the point of Epcot is o constantly evolve and change, and so will the nature of its atrractions. As a teacher, which is what Epcot was designed (in part) to be, you've got to look outside the box for new ways to engage students. It doesn't mean people are dumber now than they were 25 years ago, it just means that we're different. Think back to high school or college. Which classes were more fun, which classes did you learn and remember more from: the classes where the teacher stood at the front of the room and lectured for an hour, or the classes where you had a dynmic teacher who make the lesson more interesting by actually involving you? If you don't remember anything from high school, I propose that you had a bunch of lousy ad boring teachers.

Characters are not gong to spell the end of Epcot (EPCOT and Epcot mean the very same thing, by the way). In fact, I think the use of characters might actually lead to a new, much more inviting Epcot where learning is actually fun.

Entertain. Inform. Inspire.

mharrington

Original Poster
If the characters can help educate Guests, which is a very clear goal in Epcots mission, then the characters blong inEpcot. If Kim Possile is a good way to get the Disney Channel's target audience interested in the cultures and countries presented in World Showcase, then she belongs in World Showcase. If a second-grader can make a connection between lovable Nemo and real sealife (both of which coexist quite well in The Seas with Nemo and Friends), then Nemo is an important addition to tha pavilion.

Characters are not gong to spell the end of Epcot (EPCOT and Epcot mean the very same thing, by the way). In fact, I think the use of characters might actually lead to a new, much more inviting Epcot where learning is actually fun.

Well, I guess you're right. But you should also see the side of the public that also decries the haywire usage of Disney characters every which way they look.

Tip Top Club

Some ideas I really like.

-The Leave A Legacy tiles will be removed. The entrance plaza will now be filled with beautiful fountains and flowers.
God I hate those stupid Gravestones, they create a bizarre and depressing atmosphere when you enter the park.

-A new weather focus pavillion will open where the Wonders of Life building still stands. The pavillion will feature an exciting 3-D experience which puts you in the middle of some scary weather situations.
I had an idea for a theatre similar to Stitch’s but bigger, basically a theatre in the round that would allow the whole theatre to spin creating the feeling of being inside a tornado! While show elements make it seem like debris is flying around you. The problem with this idea now is that with Storm Struck, I doubt we’ll be seeing anything weather related in the near-future.

-Soarin's movie will be updated to include scenes from 'lands' all over the globe.
When even the day-guests don’t understand why you’re flying over California there’s something wrong. It needs a new ride film, whether it’s just America, or the World, or anywhere else it doesn’t matter, just why have it be California in Florida?

-New afternoon parade in World Showcase called the Destination of Dreams Parade. This parade will feature sections devoted to each World Showcase country. It will have elements of the Tapestry of Dreams parade but will also feature some Disney characters. (For example - Aladdin and Jasmine in the Morocco section, Belle and Aurora in the France section, etc.)
I would like to see some sort of parade back at Epcot, but at this point I think it would be hard not to copy tapestry of nations.

-A Greece pavillion will be added in between Germany and China. The theme will be an ancient Grecian village. A thrilling E-Ticket ride based on classic Greek legends will be added along with a fun play area for children called Pegasus Playspot. A new table service restaraunt and two shops will also be placed in the pavillion. Characters from the film Hercules will appear regularly in this new land.
Great Idea.

-Maelstrom will get a big update. The ride will now be themed entirely to vikings and their adventures. A new movie will be added along with a special exit for those who wish to skip the film.
Such a bizarre ride. I don’t know what they’d do with it, but something should be done to this underwhelming and confusing attraction.

=Venice Gondolas for Italy Pavillion
I’ve said this from the beginning.

Ideas I’m not too fond of.

-An Aladdin themed dark ride will open in Morocco.
Far too Magic Kingdom for Epcot.

-The Universe of Energy pavillion will change entirely. Ellen's Energy Adventure will close. A new ride will focus on the idea of conserving energy. A interactive area called Energy Adventures! will be the post show to the new attraction.
I’m a sucker for Ellen Degeneres, But something needs to be done to this attraction, but I think if they could get them, the team of Ellen and Bill Nye could still remain for a heck of a fun ride.

-New version of Illuminations titled Illuminations: One World. This will be the biggest and best version yet.
I truly think that Illuminations is close to perfection. Remember rumors of the Skydance? I have no doubt that they fell into the backburner because nothing can compare to Reflections of Earth.

I’m not a big fan of characters in Epcot, but I would like to see WALL-e in future world somewhere. I’ve been tossing around a lot of ideas and I can’t really land on something. I can imagine tons and tons of “Sponsored by Buy-n-Large” posters and signs around the ride. I had an idea to have a dark ride or 3-D film where Wall-e is discovering new future technologies, with an underlying message of using technology responsibly so what happened in the film doesn’t happen in real life. I don’t know, I’m still trying to figure it out.

mharrington

Original Poster
When even the day-guests don’t understand why you’re flying over California there’s something wrong. It needs a new ride film, whether it’s just America, or the World, or anywhere else it doesn’t matter, just why have it be California in Florida

Personally, I'd rather have it just be Florida. It'd be like CA, only it's about a different state.

Figment632

FW

Finish Desent in SSE
JII Bring back Dream Finder
WOL Move COP from MK and have a whole Pavillion dedicated to progress
Land New movie for Soarin
UOE get rid of completly and build Horizons 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WS

Add countries
Isreal
Australia
Peru
Iceland
Dubi

kingslyZISSOU

It seems to me that you guys just keep spitting up a bunch of old ideas. Be completely Innovative.

I agree that bringing characters into epcot is actually a good Idea for the masses. Yes, we might not like it because it chips away at the cool futuristic feel of epcot. I'm pretty sure that while we like it, the majority of the world thought it was pretty corny. I think it was kind of misunderstood. So, they are bringing in their characters to help teach kids things about the ocean. What's wrong with that? Kids are familiar with it. It's not overpowering.

I think there's a line to be walked between serious education, and brand names. I know It feels like it's leaning towards the brand names, but I think Disney realizes how careful they must be.

KP25701

[

Next, we will eliminate all references to Kim Possible. I mean, aside from us Disney aficionados, who really remembers her now anyway?

[/quote]

I am a tottaly huge fan of Kim Possible.O.K!And you know what I bet you dont even know who her boyfriend is!:king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom