WDW dissatisfaction?

pumpkin7

i didn't have a problem at all with the parks during our last visit. it's only since becoming a member on this forum that i have realised that the parks are far from perfect. lol
for example, i didn't know the yeti was broken and he still scared the crap out of me. just stuff like that... the descent on spaceship earth. i know there was more there before, but i thought the screens with the video on were hilarious. now i see that the descent is lacking and a bit boring. i can't imagine it being that funny the next time we go but we'll see.

sgtmgd

Maybe I don't visit enough, maybe I don't pay enough attention or maybe I'm too young to remember the "good days", but it seems the same issue keeps coming up on these forums. It seems many people are dissatisfied with the state of the parks, the attractions, the themes, the layouts. I keep reading how people think AK and DHS are only half day parks. Apparently there is nothing to do in DHS or Epcot. I don't get this. Of course there are things I don't do and rides that don't interest me so I skip them, different strokes for different folks, but I still love a majority of what's offered. It seems DHS gets the worst of the bashing, but I've never seen anything wrong with this park. I could spend a whole day there no problem and I don't ride RnR. I guess I just dont understand how such avid Disney fans could have such dissatisfaction in the parks they love so much, or perhaps it's because you love it so much that your expectations are higher? Are the few rides that you love worth the price of the trip? What is it that keeps you coming back despite your disappointment?
You answered your own question...

Casual Disney enthusiasts generally won't notice 90% of the complaints mentioned here...the wow factor of Disney captivates people....and they have a great expierence

Those of us that go frequently notice the things most folks don't..and of course have biases on which parks need more in our Disney educated opinions

I love DHS and sure Is like to ne some updated shows...and. new ride..but when I'm down there over labor day I surely will be there enjoying myself happy as a lark

rsoxguy

May I give an analogy?

The Red Sox are currently a mess. They score ten runs when the opposing team scores only two runs, but they can't score four runs when the opposing team scores three runs. Their starting pitching is inconsistent, and a host of injuries keeps a great deal of the team in a revolving door to the disabled list. They have made some big money acquisitions that have yielded disastrous results, while a host of Minor League players continue to carry the team. I gladly pay for the MLB Package on my satellite service, I watch every game, I expect them to win every time, and I am a devoted fan. Why? I can't explain it except to say that they are the team that I have always supported, and it brings me great enjoyment to watch them play a sport that I love. That's it.

Walt Disney World is not perfect. In fact, it is far from perfect. The fine folks at Disney Central take a lot of my cash, and some of their product's value has diminished over time. I know this to be true. I, however, still enjoy going to WDW and spending some time at one of the parks with my family. We go, we joke, we laugh, and we enjoy. When we can't do those things anymore because the value or the quality of the product hinders our ability to do so, then we will stop going. Any pompous individual may call me a name that becomes cliche' on these boards, or make some claim that I am no more than an obsequious and blinded Disney follower, but in truth I'm just a guy who enjoys going to a place where he can still see his twenty year old daughter create new memories that connect him and his family to the past. That's it.

C&D

In my opinion, Disney still 'sets the standard'; that being said, of course, there is always room for improvement. Because of Disney's high standards, again IMO, it has made it easier for non-disney parks to know what to offer and sometimes exceed (but it sure is a lot easier to follow than lead, and I think that that is what Disney does, lead).

sweetpee_1993

In my opinion, Disney still 'sets the standard'; that being said, of course, there is always room for improvement. Because of Disney's high standards, again IMO, it has made it easier for non-disney parks to know what to offer and sometimes exceed (but it sure is a lot easier to follow than lead, and I think that that is what Disney does, lead).

Not necessarily. The margin between the "Disney" experience and that which the competitors nearby are putting out has narrowed dramatically. I've not even been to those other parks but from everything I've read, seen in pics/video, & heard from friends who've been there Disney isn't necessarily the lone big boy on the block anymore. And the others accomplished this without "following". Competition is a good thing, tho. Definitely benefits for all on both sides of the fence as a result. ;)

riverscu0m0

I think, personally, that DIsney just needs to add a few more rides such as ToT or RnR. Those unforgettable, "let's do it again" rides. MK has the castle, and Magic Kingdom is just such a "magical" place where everything is detailed from the pavement to that huge castle in the center of the park. Epcot, hopefully with the new Tron Track, will become a little bigger. Also, I believe there's room for improvement in WS but it's fine just the way it is. (Whenever we go, I always spend the most time in WS.) I think it really just depends on personal preference. I can't really speak for AK because I haven't been in awhile but like others have said if it's your first time- of course, you wanna spend a full day there and do everything but for those who have been a few times know what they're going to do, and what they're not and sadly, that's what makes AK and DHS a half day park.

Lisalyn

Personally people can "think" DHS and AK are 1/2 day parks - to me they are not because I take the time to search out all the new little details while enjoying that which I am already accustomed too. That in itself makes them full day parks (although I don't know how anyone can think DHS is a 1/2 day park). Plus Nemo and FoTLK....full day park to me!:)

jlsHouston

One thing I decided a year ago when we first visited WDW and I had no standard to judge it by except a couple of visits in the 90's to Disneyland in Anaheim.... I kind of felt like overall the park and the resorts really tried to make it the happiest place on earth for all the people.. and that is no easy task since we all know you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time...but never ALL of the people ALL of the time, and yet disney tries, of course while making money. And I thought then and again this past April when we were there at easter it really is an amazing place and the concepts and the art, how lucky all of us are that can make our way "home".

sweetpee_1993

Also worth mentioning.... When I was a 12 or so we were locals with seasonal passes. This is when WDW was MK & Epcot. We went sooooo much that my siblings and I were bored with it. Our folks would take us to the MK, give us a few bucks, then tell us to meet them back at a designated location in the park a few hours later. I remember lots of times walking away from them then having conversations with my sister or brothers about what to do. We didn't want to do anything, really. We were bored because we'd done it sooooo much. This, in turn, decended into our little foray into WDW Hooligan-ism.... I think even the best things in life can actually be overdone....

spoodles

Dissatisfaction seems to come hand in hand with extreme fandom.

Exactly. Aren't you the biggest critic of your favorite sports team? But it's a different story if an outsider bashes your team. For those old enough to get this reference:

"He can't do that to our pledges. Only we can do that to our pledges."

rsoxguy

flounder_animal_house_1c.jpg

Lucky

Altho the prices have skyrocked to the point that we all feel a higher level of entitlement. "I have paid X amount of dollars, so I expect..."
I think this is a big part of it. And it doesn't just affect comments on forums like this one, but more importantly it affects guests' attitude and behavior in the parks.

jlsHouston

"..but in truth I'm just a guy who enjoys going to a place where he can still see his twenty year old daughter create new memories that connect him and his family to the past. That's it."

love the way this was stated!:)

crosswagon

This is absolutely true. My family and I love going to Disney. I think they've done a pretty darn good job on the parks, rides, etc. We don't usually focus on anything negative while we're there (although we may complain about a long line here or there), but for us, our trips to WDW are absolutely the most fun we have during the year. We love being there, and better yet, we love being there spending time together as a family.

I think if I ever started to really bash on WDW, all I'd have to do is go to the local Six Flags to be reminded why I like WDW so much (especially the cleanliness!). :)

My exact thoughts! My kids did a weekend trip to Six Flags last year and they said they would never do it again. Cleanliness was there main complaint and this is coming from 20 year olds!
We do one trip a year and that is the highlight of our year. Planning and anticipating the trip is so much fun and we have yet to be disappointed when we arrive. We have no complaints on anything Disney!

koryadams

Maybe I don't visit enough, maybe I don't pay enough attention or maybe I'm too young to remember the "good days", but it seems the same issue keeps coming up on these forums. It seems many people are dissatisfied with the state of the parks, the attractions, the themes, the layouts. I keep reading how people think AK and DHS are only half day parks. Apparently there is nothing to do in DHS or Epcot. I don't get this. Of course there are things I don't do and rides that don't interest me so I skip them, different strokes for different folks, but I still love a majority of what's offered. It seems DHS gets the worst of the bashing, but I've never seen anything wrong with this park. I could spend a whole day there no problem and I don't ride RnR. I guess I just dont understand how such avid Disney fans could have such dissatisfaction in the parks they love so much, or perhaps it's because you love it so much that your expectations are higher? Are the few rides that you love worth the price of the trip? What is it that keeps you coming back despite your disappointment?
I love every park, do I wish there was more? Yes, but what can you do other than wait? all the parks could be half day if you hate rides and don't like walking...it just depends on who you are! I always feel rushed on trips because there is so much to do!

jlsHouston

I love every park, do I wish there was more? Yes, but what can you do other than wait? all the parks could be half day if you hate rides and don't like walking...it just depends on who you are! I always feel rushed on trips because there is so much to do!

me too I feel rushed too, I have to remind myself and DD1 and DD2 let's slow down and enjoy this instead of doing the marathon here..

Disnee4Me

May I give an analogy?

The Red Sox are currently a mess. They score ten runs when the opposing team scores only two runs, but they can't score four runs when the opposing team scores three runs. Their starting pitching is inconsistent, and a host of injuries keeps a great deal of the team in a revolving door to the disabled list. They have made some big money acquisitions that have yielded disastrous results, while a host of Minor League players continue to carry the team. I gladly pay for the MLB Package on my satellite service, I watch every game, I expect them to win every time, and I am a devoted fan. Why? I can't explain it except to say that they are the team that I have always supported, and it brings me great enjoyment to watch them play a sport that I love. That's it.

Walt Disney World is not perfect. In fact, it is far from perfect. The fine folks at Disney Central take a lot of my cash, and some of their product's value has diminished over time. I know this to be true. I, however, still enjoy going to WDW and spending some time at one of the parks with my family. We go, we joke, we laugh, and we enjoy. When we can't do those things anymore because the value or the quality of the product hinders our ability to do so, then we will stop going. Any pompous individual may call me a name that becomes cliche' on these boards, or make some claim that I am no more than an obsequious and blinded Disney follower, but in truth I'm just a guy who enjoys going to a place where he can still see his twenty year old daughter create new memories that connect him and his family to the past. That's it.

Hey Rsoxguy ... this coming from a Yankee fan. I almost sort of wish the Red Sox luck because Bobby V is from Stamford and last year on my son's 21st birthday, my son and his best friend (born 7 hours apart) got a free drink from Bobby himself at his sports bar. Nice guy, not that it helps your team. Mine's doing pretty well though ...l LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom