WDW College Program January 2008

Tenny317

Original Poster
Hello everyone! I am applying to start the college program in january and I was wondering if anyone else was starting then too! I was wondering what your thoughts are, what you want to do, etc. Give a shout back!

Ravenclaw87

Hmm... this will probably get moved to the employment board. BUT...

I'm going to be applying for January 2008 too. I'm not entirely sure *what* I want to do though. I'd be happiest with anything that allows for the most guest interaction, for sure.

...and not Quick Service Food and Beverage. :)

Tenny317

Original Poster
woops didn't know there was an employment board hahaha....yea i really want alot of guest interaction too and would really like to be IN the parks. I'm going to apply for ride operations but what i would REALLY love to do would be park greeter which is part of ride operations. I read up on it, pretty much you stand by the turnstiles and you direct people or answer questions, etc. I would love that!

er3465

Hmm... this will probably get moved to the employment board. BUT...

I'm going to be applying for January 2008 too. I'm not entirely sure *what* I want to do though. I'd be happiest with anything that allows for the most guest interaction, for sure.

...and not Quick Service Food and Beverage. :)
Aww don't give up on Quick serve so soon, thats what I did and had a LOT of guest interaction and was in a park. Many of my friends that did operations were bored because you don't get as much guest interaction as you think you would. I would say that if you don't want food, and want people then to go for merchandise, but thats just my opinion :p.

Ravenclaw87

Hmm... I just looked at all of the role descriptions, and there's a bunch I'd like to do. I'd love to work in one of the hotels, or in one of the full service restaurants, or, of course, at an attraction. (I think my dream job is at Kilimanjaro Safaris.) BUT, I know I'd end up in merchandising. I've had... 7 jobs, and 6 of them have been retail or sales related.

SeaBreeze

Good luck!! I hope you get an assignment you want but no matter what, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Remember that the step after CP is a professional internship so keep that in mind during your CP assignment. Make a good impression and you'll probably have the chance to go back, make a little more and work in an area related to what you study. Either way, you're in for a good time :kiss:

Space Mountain

Try to avoid custodial and QSR (no offense to them, just have heard there are better roles.) Your pay is about $6.67/hour, lowest of every other CM. Go for attractions, but be prepared for long hours if staffing doesnt look good. Behave and keep your Record Card nice and clean if you plan on returning to work for the mouse in the future. Oh and IF POSSIBLE, bring a car...you will not survive easily without one.

Pocamahontas

Hey guys if you like guest interaction...I seriously suggest Photopass. It's amazing, we get to take pictures and make memories for all the guests! Plus it's all guests all day! Best job in the world.

I would know...I'm a Photopass CM

KingdomHeart

I got Vacation Planner for fall, but had to turn it down for personal reasons but I am SO PSYCHED to reg for Jan. Anyone know when the process will open?
-Nick

I'm thinking of applying sometime in the near future. The only thing is, I'm trying to graduate on time (spring 2010 for me) but since I've recently transferred schools, I'm worried that with unsure credits etc, I'm already not going to be out on time. The program doesn't run in just summer does it? And if not, is it worth taking the classes they offer for credits? My major is hospitality/tourism management so I would think that's a major program there? I'm not sure...any feedback?

JCAEdge21

I'm considering applying for the January 2008 session as well, probably for either attractions or something outside of the parks. Does anyone know if the interviews are in person or over the phone/internet? All i know is i'm sick of new york and i could use a good 5 months in the world

bcampione

(I think my dream job is at Kilimanjaro Safaris.) .

I did the College Program 3 summers ago and worked at the safaris. While i enjoyed it, it was sometimes almost unbearable with the heat and the managers at the time (though those guys are gone and great new ones are there). If I could do the program again, Id go back to safaris in a heartbeat because the good memories outbeat anything bad 100-1.

Oh - you get to choose when you go to the CP meeting your top 5 interest areas of work. Then if you get accepted, you get to do it again but more detailed. You can even put down what you may want to do if its there. Therefore, do not fret about merchandising - you can really get away from it if you'd like!

Have a great experience down there and live it up!:wave:

joanna71985

I'm thinking of applying sometime in the near future. The only thing is, I'm trying to graduate on time (spring 2010 for me) but since I've recently transferred schools, I'm worried that with unsure credits etc, I'm already not going to be out on time. The program doesn't run in just summer does it? And if not, is it worth taking the classes they offer for credits? My major is hospitality/tourism management so I would think that's a major program there? I'm not sure...any feedback?

Unfortunately they rarely do the Summer Program anymore.

I'm considering applying for the January 2008 session as well, probably for either attractions or something outside of the parks. Does anyone know if the interviews are in person or over the phone/internet? All i know is i'm sick of new york and i could use a good 5 months in the world

For the most part, the interviews are done over the phone.

I did the College Program 3 summers ago and worked at the safaris. While i enjoyed it, it was sometimes almost unbearable with the heat and the managers at the time (though those guys are gone and great new ones are there). If I could do the program again, Id go back to safaris in a heartbeat because the good memories outbeat anything bad 100-1.

Oh - you get to choose when you go to the CP meeting your top 5 interest areas of work. Then if you get accepted, you get to do it again but more detailed. You can even put down what you may want to do if its there. Therefore, do not fret about merchandising - you can really get away from it if you'd like!

Have a great experience down there and live it up!:wave:

Actually, the actual role/area is picked by Disney. You can select what role you would like to do, but that is all. And once you have accepted, it is not all that easy to switch.

dave2822

I'm thinking of applying sometime in the near future. The only thing is, I'm trying to graduate on time (spring 2010 for me) but since I've recently transferred schools, I'm worried that with unsure credits etc, I'm already not going to be out on time.

I'm looking into the spring program and the issue of credits is my major problem too ... if I can get that worked out with my academic advisor then I'd be all set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom