WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

Kamikaze

wow - you sound like a "fun" person.. .Merry Christmas - here's your gift..."WHAAAAAT IS THAT - That's not what I wanted" Maybe best you don't go out in the lightning.

TIL giving you back compensation for something you purchased but did not receive is a gift.

If you went to try to buy say a Blu-Ray on Amazon, Tictake your money, and then say 'sorry, we dont have that anymore'. Your options are

1) A gift card
2) 2 Tickets to a movie theater (that you have to spend more money to use to travel to the location)
3) An option to switch to a different movie that may or may not already be sold out, but you will have to go pick the movie up yourself.

They really aren't 'giving' us anything. All of them keep more money coming into TWDC.

21stamps

So sorry to anyone who was scheduled to run!
That's extremely frustrating. I'd still rather train and not run as opposed to getting struck by lightening.

Is anyone debating on changing to the 26.2 now?

Ariel484

Just because that line is in the fine print doesn't mean its actually legal. There is no chance it would stand up in court.

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.
And obviously the marathon transfer is useless to me.

So no, I don't think they are generous at all.
Okay. Good luck with whatever you decide goon forward.

trampdog

Just because that line is in the fine print doesn't mean its actually legal. There is no chance it would stand up in court.

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.
And obviously the marathon transfer is useless to me.

So no, I don't think they are generous at all.
wambulance_logo.jpg

mnrlblue

I don't think you know what entitlement means. Being upset that something you trained for was cancelled the night before is entitled? If they said they weren't giving out the medals and that was the complaint - thats entitlement. I just want to race. From my point of view - the race was supposed to start at 5:30. I'd be done by 7. According to the hourly tracking, its only 'scattered thunderstorms' with 40% chance of precip until 7. So playing the odds we wouldn't even get wet. I realize that most people are doing more like double that time, but the forecast was actually WORSE up until today. Its steadily been getting better - between 1-3 its not even supposed to rain, now.

I get your point about the compensation.

And I can see things from your perspective as far as cancelling early and how upsetting that must be. Looking at AccuWeather, they are predicting something else entirely as far as the storms go. Having worked for a major theme park for 8 years, I think Disney made the right call to cancel. They work very closely with meteorologists to get the best sense of how the storm will affect operations. There are thousands of Cast Members and volunteers and hours of set up that have to occur before the race and they need a plan in place to keep those people safe just as much as the racers. If they've determined the probability of cancellation is to high, I have no doubt many of those people are being redeployed or given the option to stay home if their role isn't needed. Communicating to staff and runners is much, much harder to do as you get closer to the event time and into the early hours of the morning. This is the safest option.

I'm sorry you missed out on the event - but I hope that you do get out and put those miles in, event or no event, once it's safe to be outside. In addition, after talking to them tomorrow, I hope they have a compensation option for you that is more reasonable to your situation.

Sweet Thing

I don't think you know what entitlement means. Being upset that something you trained for was cancelled the night before is entitled? If they said they weren't giving out the medals and that was the complaint - thats entitlement. I just want to race. From my point of view - the race was supposed to start at 5:30. I'd be done by 7. According to the hourly tracking, its only 'scattered thunderstorms' with 40% chance of precip until 7. So playing the odds we wouldn't even get wet. I realize that most people are doing more like double that time, but the forecast was actually WORSE up until today. Its steadily been getting better - between 1-3 its not even supposed to rain, now.
It isn't the rain that Disney is worried about. It's the lightning. I'm 2 minutes from MK Cast parking and the lightning is crazy right now.

mnrlblue

And I get that a 90 minute delay would not be feasible, but couldn't they delay it by a few hours? I'm not too familiar with Run Disney so I don't completely understand how all of this works.
Sadly, no. As the theme parks begin to open the roads need to be clear to accommodate the resort traffic. It's already very hard to get around for cast members who know the resort during the races. It would be even harder for Guests. Nor do I believe the alternate routes could accommodate the traffic. In addition some of the routes go through the parks and navigating Guests around that would be a nightmare.

Disneyhead'71

With the lightening we are getting right now, there is no way Disney is going to put their CMs out in this. It's simply too dangerous. There is another strong band of lightening coming through at 5am that will last until about 8:30am. That is when the bulk of the runners will be out in the open. We are the lightening capitol of the U.S. We take lightening very seriously here in Central FL.

FigmentForver96

With the lightening we are getting right now, there is no way Disney is going to put their CMs out in this. It's simply too dangerous. There is another strong band of lightening coming through at 5am that will last until about 8:30am. That is when the bulk of the runners will be out in the open. We are the lightening capitol of the U.S. We take lightening very seriously here in Central FL.
But haven't you noticed what a terrible inconvience this will be for certain people who "just want to run". Who gives a damn about cast members and their well being!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom