WDW Cancels all Run Disney Events for Tomorrow 1/7/17 including Half Marathon

TeriofTerror

Just because that line is in the fine print doesn't mean its actually legal. There is no chance it would stand up in court.

You're not getting a refund. You get a gift card. There's a meaningful difference.
The park hopper is useless to me - I'm never returning to WDW. This was my first visit since the introduction of NGE/FP+ and I feel 100% justified in my decision. Disneyland tickets I would consider. I also have access to a few comp tickets a year if I want them.
The deferral I'm also not interested in for much the same reason - I suppose if I could use the credit towards an entire weekend instead of just one race it would be ok. I'm not traveling from CT to Anaheim for just one race.
And obviously the marathon transfer is useless to me.

So no, I don't think they are generous at all.
I'd be willing to bet that if you go to Guest Services, you might be able to convince them to give you a refund. It can't hurt to try!

surfsupdon

Runners are a different breed. We have a different mindset. You can't expect everyone else to understand the WDWHalf runners disappointment.

Same concept as the Disney haters- "Disney again? Don't you guys go every year?" The outside world doesn't get it.

If you're not a runner, you don't 'get' this cancelled race scenario either.

BackOTheLine

Runners are a different breed. We have a different mindset. You can't expect everyone else to understand the WDWHalf runners disappointment.

Same concept as the Disney haters- "Disney again? Don't you guys go every year?" The outside world doesn't get it.

If you're not a runner, you don't 'get' this cancelled race scenario either.

This made me laugh. You're right - most of us think that if we got struck by lightning we'd still be able to get up and finish the race. I had a sore Achilles training for the Star Wars half last April. I said - I'll just keep going and I'll either make it or it will tear in two. We really have some mental issues for such a "healthy" lot...

I feel the disappointment, and I'm not even there. Sorry to all who didn't get to run.

Disneyhead'71

Here is a great example of why Disney cancelled.

1 bolt of lightning, 300 dead reindeer.
37ADB30200000578-3763329-Some_323_dead_wild_reindeers_struck_by_lightning_are_seen_litter-a-10_1472473296718.jpg

Now imagine that along World Drive with people instead of reindeer.

The Mom

Premium Member
I honestly don't get all of the criticism towards @Kamikaze . He/she has brought up some valid points. I don't understand why Disney wouldn't offer the ability to receive a full refund. It just makes them look bad by making them look greedy to the general public, not just those who follow the inner workings of the company. And I get that a 90 minute delay would not be feasible, but couldn't they delay it by a few hours? I'm not too familiar with Run Disney so I don't completely understand how all of this works.

I am involved in an outdoor sports activity on the water. Unfortunately, we can't control the weather, and events are sometimes delayed or cancelled due to thunderstorms, fog, heavy winds, or extreme cold because of the danger to the athletes - and officials and volunteers.

Almost all of the money collected in registration fees has been spent before the actual start of the event. Port-a- jons, packet material, equipment rental, security, medical personal, etc - all of that still has to be paid. So the registration material clearly states that there will be no refunds. Occasionally, if there are any funds left, a credit is given towards next year's registration.

I believe another poster mentioned that the weather began going downhill around 10 or 11 PM - just when people would start setting things up. They would have to wait for the front to move through before they could start, and there is no way of knowing exactly when that would be. What time do the slowest racers usually finish? If around 3, a delay would make it 6. They could not delay a start if the runners were finishing after dark due to safety issues, perhaps?

Been there, done that. People would be just as angry if they showed up on the venue and the start kept getting delayed. The one time I was involved in an event that had multiple delays until it was too late to run it (it had to finish before dark) was terrible for everyone involved. I wish it had been cancelled from the get go.

The weather involved with these cold fronts can be life threatening - this is when FL gets many of its tornadoes. Also, the temperature can drop dramatically in just a few minutes, and hypothermia (even in Florida) can be an issue. Also been there, done that.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Wow. That was some lightning show overnight. I swear the sky lit up brighter than Wishes. Disney made the right call. It is unfortunate that many people trained hard and won't get to run the race but really good call by Disney. I'm participating in the Star Wars races in April. If this type of severe weather occured and It was canceled although I would be extremely disappointed, I can comprehend that my safety and that of CM's is paramount to finishing the race.

Mad Stitch

As disappointing as it is Disney did the right thing by canceling the race and it was very generous to offer credits when they were not obligated to do so. Here is video of a lightning strike during a soccer match. If this would have happened during the race it would have been disastrous.

Darth Blackhawk

I feel terrible for everyone. Especially those that have saved up to go to Disney and can't afford to go back. Seems like the refund options are decent, but what a bummer. Thoughts for all of those that had to miss out today. Hope Mother Nature is better tomorrow.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

It appears so many folks woke up and ran their 13.1 on the grounds of their Resort!! Congrats to all.

And it seems spectators were out cheering, made make shift water stations, and played music. Reports from CBR and BC even said CMs cranked the pool music up so it could be heard for morning runners.

The options runDisney gave were very nice indeed.

If you are a positive person and got out there to run, I'm sure it was a terrific morning. Congratulations!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Everyone knows my opinions about how TWDC runs WDW,

That said being a runner registered for this event and I'll miss actually running the half, My volunteer work with county and state emergency management says Disney made the absolutely correct decision in cancelling the race as a single lightning strike could injure or kill hundreds of runners, volunteers and Cast Members and the opportunity to run a 20 the anniversary event is simply NOT WORTH the risk involved.

And the light show last night and this morning from Mother Nature would have put the setup workers at extreme risk. No race is worth someone's life

Yes the gift card is a bit lame but since Disney will also allow one to do another runDisney half marathon race in the next 24 months at no charge I think that's more than fair especially considering in the contract Disney is under no contractural obligation to refund ANYTHING in the event of cancellation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It appears so many folks woke up and ran their 13.1 on the grounds of their Resort!! Congrats to all.

And it seems spectators were out cheering, made make shift water stations, and played music. Reports from CBR and BC even said CMs cranked the pool music up so it could be heard for morning runners.

If you are a positive person and got out there to run, I'm sure it was a terrific morning. Congratulations!

Saw this and it was awesome,

This is why I do the run Disney events it's the positive vibe that surrounds them it's not the grim determination to do a personal best as seen at events like the Boston Marathon where runners will happily push other runners out of the way instead of helping them like at runDisney.

deeevo

Can confirm this is true and it was awesome. Did 11 miles on Cresent Lake and then when sky opened up I went back to CBR and finished. People were great and cheered us on. It was happening all over the property.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot

This is truly awesome and to me really embodies what the Disney community is all about. Yes we all have our differing opinions (especially on here) but at the end of the day guests, fans, CMs, etc unite to make the best of a situation. Simply awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom