WDW Books

cba

Original Poster
All of the sudden, I now have a sudden desire to read books on Disney World. Can anyone give me any recommendation? I'm specifically looking for history, construction, Imagineering, ect. I'm not looking for those vacation-planning books like Birnbaum's. Thanks!

cba

Original Poster
Also, I've already read Realityland, so try to recommend something else.

BuddyThomas

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have so many Disney Books and have collected for a long time. My suggestion is to go every week or so to a used book store. So many people receive books as a gift that they have zero interest in or buy on an impulse, especially coffee table books. The books range on so many topics from trivia to building Disney Parks, to bio's.
I have all my Birnbaum Tour Books. Don't know why I kept these but now that so much has changed since I was small when WDW opened they are now reference books vs tour books.

BuddyThomas

I have so many Disney Books and have collected for a long time. My suggestion is to go every week or so to a used book store. So many people receive books as a gift that they have zero interest in or buy on an impulse, especially coffee table books. The books range on so many topics from trivia to building Disney Parks, to bio's.
I have all my Birnbaum Tour Books. Don't know why I kept these but now that so much has changed since I was small when WDW opened they are now reference books vs tour books.
There is also a book someone gave me last Christmas that has all the old vintage Disney ride posters in it, as well as some more modern ones. It's a big (in physical size) book, and it would make for a great holiday gift. Title is Poster Art of the Disney Parks.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney War, Since the World Began, Be Our Guest, the Imagineering Field Guides, Vault of Walt, Dream it! Do It!, Designing Disney, The Art of Walt Disney World... My room is turning into a library lol.

Welcome to the club. As much as I have on my Kindle, almost all of my Disney collection is in book form. Can't see collecting any other way. I'm now up to 4 bookcases, though small shelves I have sooo many books.

RoyWalley

Try this one:

2013-07-09-DreamItDoItHighRes.jpeg

Figments Friend

-

A old favorite of mine is the large hardcover book released in 1982 called
'EPCOT Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow'.

Some amazing photographs of the Park being built, plus photos of the early models.
It also features some of the great concept art used in the development of EPCOT Center reproduced here in glorious full color spreads, including many of the paintings used in the filmed segments of 'The American Adventure' ( and fold outs, at that! ).

Quite a few images of concepts never used, such as the original Seas Pavilion concept/story involving Poseidon and a full description of the story and characters being developed for the never built attraction for Japan.
Equatorial Africa is covered too...which was never added to World Showcase.

If you are a fan of old school EPCOT, this is the book for you!

Last edited:

wolf359

Since The World Began isn't perfect, but it gives a good overview on WDW's construction and development up until 1996.

The EPCOT Center - Creating the World of Tomorrow book from 1982 gives a really in-depth look at the development and birth of EPCOT Center. Just make sure you get the larger 240 page version. The smaller 127 page edition cuts a lot of info and all of the nice gatefold art in the larger version. It's sad there isn't a book as good or in-depth for each of the theme parks.

There are two books on Imgineering that are really good even though they aren't focused solely on Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom