WDW as a once-in-a-lifetime trip?

Since1976

Original Poster
A co-worker of mine told me that he was finally going to WDW, as his kids were all now "old enough" -- 7+ years. I asked him why he didn't just take then when they were younger. ("Why postpone your own joy?") His reply was that he wanted the kids to actually remember their only trip to WDW.

"Only!?!?"

Yeah, it's true. He has no expectation of ever going to WDW again. And it's not that he's poor or doesn't go on vacation often. In fact, he's pretty well off and goes to the same beach two hours away for a week every year. Granted, this is going to be *his* first trip to WDW as well, and perhaps he underestimates just what kind of a place WDW is. It's not just an amusement park, it's a destination!

Anyone else know anybody who planned their family WDW trip as a once-in-a-lifetime experience? Did they change their mind when it was over? Or did they feel that they got their fill of it on that one trip?

Me personally, I don't think I could live a happy life knowing that I would never visit a Disney park again.

coltow

A co-worker of mine went for the first time last year. When she got back she said "now I understand why you go every year." She was hooked.

1DisneyDad

I took my brother and his family Jan 07. He said it would be once in lifetime trip. As soon as we got home his wife and kids where talking about next year. Hooked!

PotteryGal

A co-worker of mine told me that he was finally going to WDW, as his kids were all now "old enough" -- 7+ years. I asked him why he didn't just take then when they were younger. ("Why postpone your own joy?") His reply was that he wanted the kids to actually remember their only trip to WDW.

"Only!?!?"

Yeah, it's true. He has no expectation of ever going to WDW again. And it's not that he's poor or doesn't go on vacation often. In fact, he's pretty well off and goes to the same beach two hours away for a week every year. Granted, this is going to be *his* first trip to WDW as well, and perhaps he underestimates just what kind of a place WDW is. It's not just an amusement park, it's a destination!

Anyone else know anybody who planned their family WDW trip as a once-in-a-lifetime experience? Did they change their mind when it was over? Or did they feel that they got their fill of it on that one trip?

Me personally, I don't think I could live a happy life knowing that I would never visit a Disney park again.

We looked at it that way, although it was due more to the expense of the trip. Then we got there, the Mouse worked his magic, and the rest is history. There's no way to really understand it until you've been there. I don't believe I can ever attend another amusement park without comparing it to the experience of Disney World.
Oh, and we're going back in three months. :D

tink68

I know some people that did that and the magic did NOT work on them. They do not want to go again. :eek: We went for the first time four years ago and have been every year since. In fact I cannot imagine my year without a trip to the World. We leave in 23 days! :sohappy:

WDW Monorail

The magic also works in reverse. My mother has been there 10 times and her loathing for it has strengthened each time. She hates it so much now that she recently exclaimed to me that she would never go again and that she would prevent me from going. :( :cry:

Toft1

We took our kids as a once in a lifetime experience back in 1993.
We went back in 1994 to take our parents for a once in a lifetime experience.
In 1997 we took friends and then in 2002 some more friends.
In 2004 we took our daughters boyfriend and in 2006 we took our sons best friend.
In October this year our daughter is getting married in Florida and we are taking 35 people, half of these are having their once in a lifetime experience.

So yes it is a once in a lifetime experience, you just have to keep finding someone whose experience you can share.:)

beanbunny

We took our kids (and my parents) on their first "once in a lifetime" trip back in 1987. Now we are at 30+ trips - 3 within the next 5 months! Even my 89 year old dad is a Disney fanatic - he absolutely loves Soarin" - but only if he can ride at the top - lol!!!! This October we're taking my cousin and his wife for their first "once in a lifetime" trip - I doubt it! :ROFLOL: No question, they will be totally hooked like us!!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Craig & Lisa

My husband in '97 didn't want to go but I talked him into it. The magic hit him hard!! We've been going every year since, took friends and parents and family and they are addicted!! It's similar to chocolate one bite and in many cases you're hooked!!:wave: By the way we went during July 4th week and are planning 2 more for Nov and March !!!:sohappy:

ThinkTink721

No trip to WDW is ever the same.
There are always new & exciting things to experience.
We are going in Sept. & are hoping to go at the same time in 2008.
I already know of several things that will be added by the time we go in 2008.
:D :wave:

bgraham34

I know several people who only have gone once and never will go again. Some feel there is no reason to repeat the trip. Some say its too commercial, some too expensive.

palmage

If I didn't live so close it would a once every 10 year deal for me.
There so many places in this world to visit, and I want to see them all!!

Lets see if I can kill this tread........................

I have been to disney world almost every year since 1992. This year I talked my uncle and aunt into taking their kids. They have to boys. One is 8 and the other is 3. I am going with them and they are paying my way so thats a great thing plus we are doing the dining plan. I can not wait to go and see their faces light up like mine did when I was little. Heck, my face still lights up. But anyway, my aunt and uncle are not looking foward to this trip at all. Their just doing it for the kids. I was actually going to make a thread about how can I get them excited and look foward to going. Everyday I remind them 108 more days. I do my count down and they would say "Yea, Yea!" And blow it off. Im getting worried because I want them to have a good time with out any problems. We are staying at POR too by the way. My uncle and aunt are more like Island people. They go to the Islands every year, so this trip is going to be total opposite. What should I do or tell them?:shrug:

sophie_the_pooh

Everyday is a good and happy day when you have that "Disney flame" inside of you, dreaming about Disney and knowing that someday, hopefully very soon, you'll go back to a Disney park...It's what keeps me smiling!:)

happymom52003

I know a couple of families who "hate" Disney (yes, they used that word!). They went one time during the peak of summer and did zero planning and slept in and got to the parks late everyday. I think that explains it.

Jellyfish

Yeh my mum said the same, 'i'm only taking you when both you and your brother are old enough to remember' so i had to wait 5 years :mad: but at least im going now :D

WildcatDen

My wife and I did a one day stop at a wandless Epcot back in 94 and then took our kids (then 9 and 6) in 2004. The 2004 trip we thought may be a one time thing since we also do camping trips and enjoy Myrtle Beach. We are going again this year and I expect this to be it until maybe right before the oldest heads off to College.

We still have DC to do, Niagra Falls, Philly/NYC/Boston and a Grand Canyon trip to make. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom