Way back machine - DCA's Eureka! parade & initial offerings

PiratesMansion

But let's be honest, Pixar Play Parade was ready to be retired when they finally killed it. It had run for several years when it got its final send-off as part of the original Pixar Fest.

It should have been replaced with something of equal or greater value, sure, but a great parade it was not IMO.

Phroobar

Original Poster
But let's be honest, Pixar Play Parade was ready to be retired when they finally killed it. It had run for several years when it got its final send-off as part of the original Pixar Fest.

It should have been replaced with something of equal or greater value, sure, but a great parade it was not IMO.
Very true. It was long in the tooth. DCA has never really had a great parade since.
I don't think Disneyland has really had a great day time parade either since 50th anniversary parade.
Twenty years of ick.

PiratesMansion

Very true. It was long in the tooth. DCA has never really had a great parade since.
I don't think Disneyland has really had a great day time parade either since 50th anniversary parade.
Twenty years of ick.
50th anniversary was before my time, but I genuinely like Soundsational and Magic Happens quite a bit.

They just need to stop the obvious cost-cutting and run their daily parade...daily!!!! Until the day they roll out the super-musty Christmas parade in its place!!!

Phroobar

Original Poster
50th anniversary was before my time, but I genuinely like Soundsational and Magic Happens quite a bit.

They just need to stop the obvious cost-cutting and run their daily parade...daily!!!! Until the day they roll out the super-musty Christmas parade in its place!!!
The 50th anniversary parade Parade of Dreams was filled with huge floats, Julie Andrews narrated it and the Welcome song from Brother Bear. .It was really special. That was the last great parade. All others feel like calvalcades.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

The 50th anniversary parade Parade of Dreams was filled with huge floats, Julie Andrews narrated it and the Welcome song from Brother Bear. .It was really special. That was the last great parade. All others feel like calvalcades.

It was watching THIS Parade, and the original ‘Remember…Dreams Come True’ from 2,300 miles away on the other coast that convinced me I NEED to visit Disneyland.
The entire 50th Anniversary package rolled out in 2005 really grabbed my attention and convinced me that I need to get out to California.
And I did.

Two years later, I was there and was thrilled to be able to experience both of these shows in person.
And I was forever spoiled by that special kind of magic you can only feel at Disneyland.
😊

-

TP2000

Hahaha! I'm sure that made their day!

Up until that point their favorite San Diego experience was probably seeing Shamu. But I raised the bar.

That is definitely a shame how much they have fallen. That Pixar Parade in California Adventure looks so cheap. Even the Disney yearly parades of the 90s had massive floats.

Floats were bigger, and they used to staff the parades in both parks with almost twice as many dancers/characters/performers. They've really cut back on parade staffing now.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see the next made-from-scratch parade in 2026 or later to be devoid of almost all street performers and just have floats populated mostly by mechanical characters much like the Chuck E. Cheese They Can Play! animal bands in Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Speaking of Avatar land. Here is the Hollywood n Dine that I'm sure most people have never been inside. It's just a series of mall foodcourt locations with a few tables. The guest area was probably less than a quarter of the building. It looks like something they would setup for Food & Wine.
iu

iu

iu

iu

Miru

Twenty years of ick.
They’ve had solid night parades though. And “twenty years of ick” is a bit of hyperbole, I’d say it’s closer to 7.

DLR92

Speaking of Avatar land. Here is the Hollywood n Dine that I'm sure most people have never been inside. It's just a series of mall foodcourt locations with a few tables. The guest area was probably less than a quarter of the building. It looks like something they would setup for Food & Wine.
iu

iu

iu

iu
I am glad I did not get to experience any of that stuff from DCA early years. 🤣

Phroobar

Original Poster
I am glad I did not get to experience any of that stuff from DCA early years. 🤣
I still get PTSD when I see the Schmoozies sign. Why is that still there?
iu

I think all of those facades are still in there. I could have sworn I saw them during ElecTRONica's Flynns Arcade. I wonder if the kitchens are still there.

MK-fan

Has anyone found a video of Lights Camera Chaos? I found the sound track to it but not the video. I'm also looking for the Goofy Beach Blast show which I think was mostly Goofy making jokes in swimwear. It seems that original DCA has been wiped from the collective internet mind. Maybe that is a good thing.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Here is the DCA villain Cynthia Harriss dedicating a tractor. The Caterpillar CEO is excited to be part of California Adventure. Little did he know how much of DCA his company will help remove.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

iu

iu

iu

iu
That was the first DCA location I ever ate at (at a preview night). As I recall, their seating areas were also decorated in the four different styles, which I appreciated.

Phroobar

Original Poster
The first place I ate at DCA was the sandwich wrap place in Bountiful Valley called Farmers Market. The cast members had no clue how to serve people and were completely indifferent to the situation. (kind of like now) It took nearly an hour to get food with only five orders waiting. Food would pile up behind the counter and the girl that is suppose to be service it never noticed. I'd say, that looks like my order there. She would look and shugg. Occasionally she would go get it and drop it in front of us while saying a number. I had no idea what was going on. The food was cold and the wrap was stale. Not a good first impression.

iu

Miru

The first place I ate at DCA was the sandwich wrap place in Bountiful Valley called Farmers Market. The cast members had no clue how to serve people and were completely indifferent to the situation. (kind of like now) It took nearly an hour to get food with only five orders waiting. Food would pile up behind the counter and the girl that is suppose to be service it never noticed. I'd say, that looks like my order there. She would look and shugg. Occasionally she would go get it and drop it in front of us while saying a number. I had no idea what was going on. The food was cold and the wrap was stale. Not a good first impression.

iu
We truly have gone full circle… except not quite because at least the Pym Test Kitchen is nicely themed with a mix of practical effects and screens.

Thank you for this topic of nostalgic 1.0 pics, showing how much we’ve gone full circle. (I’d say it’s a 270 degree rotation at this point.)

Phroobar

Original Poster
We truly have gone full circle… except not quite because at least the Pym Test Kitchen is nicely themed with a mix of practical effects and screens.

Thank you for this topic of nostalgic 1.0 pics, showing how much we’ve gone full circle. (I’d say it’s a 270 degree rotation at this point.)
What was worst is they weren't going in placed order. People that ordered after were getting food. It was completely random. They didn't know how to issue refunds and wouldn't talk to you. Even the docker clad managers where rude and overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom