Water park closures in January

mnmrmustard

Hello All!

My family is going to be at WDW in early January and I noticed from this year's and last year's calendar that Typhoon Lagoon was closed during this timeframe. Does anyone know if this is a yearly occurance for that park in January?

Thanks Much!

MMM

TomDisney

Yes, it is. Each year they shut down one of the water parks for several weeks during the cooler months for annual maintenance. Once that water park reopens, the other one is shut down for it's maintenance work.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Yes, it is. Each year they shut down one of the water parks for several weeks during the cooler months for annual maintenance. Once that water park reopens, the other one is shut down for it's maintenance work.

anyone know if it's always TL in the first few months, and then BB afterwards? Or do they switch it up year to year?

Upvote 0

mnmrmustard

Original Poster
Actually, I found some good info in a thread from '05 in the "similar threads" reference to my post (thanks Steve for putting that feature in here) http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=60970

Apparently they alternate each year, one closes and then the other. So if that is true and Typhoon Lagoon was closed this year, it should be the one open for us in '08! :sohappy: :ROFLOL: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Actually the water parks close down every winter for refurbishment, but they always stagger so that one is always open. I don't know if they ever switch off (meaning one is closed in early winter and then the next year is closed in later winter.) However, they are usually closed from Oct-Dec and then the other one is usually closed from January-March I believe.

This year, TL is closed Oct-Dec. So BB is closed Jan-March.

But the water parks always close for refurb in the winter.

Upvote 0

mnmrmustard

Original Poster
Nice - thank you for confirming my notion about TL being open in Jan nibblesandbits! That's the one my kids really want to experience :D

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Most times when we have been there in Nov. they have BB closed, for rehab, and general cleaning, which they need because of the kind of torture they go thru while open, and since we have gone to BB at least 3 times they really do work the place hard, wave pool, and pumps going almost 16 hours a day every day.

Upvote 0

sittle

Warning foul language ahead!

Actually the water parks close down every winter for refurbishment, but they always stagger so that one is always open. I don't know if they ever switch off (meaning one is closed in early winter and then the next year is closed in later winter.) However, they are usually closed from Oct-Dec and then the other one is usually closed from January-March I believe.

This year, TL is closed Oct-Dec. So BB is closed Jan-March.

But the water parks always close for refurb in the winter.

Actually... no. They DO NOT alternate....

I have personally been there (2005 last week of Jan first of Feb, 2006 last week of Jan first of Feb and this past 2007 Feb last week only), and I have patiently watched and waited and I've even gone so far to write letters to Guest relations beggin them to alternate the schedule so I could for once visit Typhoon Lagoon.. all to no avail, cause the last 3 years from January to March Typhoon Lagoon has been closed for refurbishment.

Blizzard Beach is closed November to December I think, (I wouldn't know for sure cause everytime I visit it's open!!)

Know what sucks?? Coming from the bitter cold of a January in Ontario to visit a Skiing themed water park... Hooray, more snow and water!! Whoooppeeee! ... it's still fun... I still love it.. It would just be nice to be a bit more tropical in the winter!

P.S Keep your posts to yourself about the rudeness and impropriety of using the word sucks... you were warned!

Upvote 0

mnmrmustard

Original Poster
OK then - such is life I guess. We will enjoy BB and hope that Disney decides to start alternating the schedule some time in the future. Thank you for the clarification sittle :-]

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

Having worked at Typhoon Lagoon (back in the day) they did alternate. It is possible that in the past few years they haven't, I wouldn't know as being floridian, I don't usually visit the waterparks in the winter, but just an FYI that they used to.

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

Wait a minute... I just checked the calendar to be sure, and Typhoon Lagoon IS closed November, December.... which of course means it's open January/February.

Someone Trying to trick us Sittle? Guess you want the park all to yourself?!?
:p

I have personally been there (2005 last week of Jan first of Feb, 2006 last week of Jan first of Feb and this past 2007 Feb last week only), and I have patiently watched and waited and I've even gone so far to write letters to Guest relations beggin them to alternate the schedule so I could for once visit Typhoon Lagoon.. all to no avail, cause the last 3 years from January to March Typhoon Lagoon has been closed for refurbishment.

Blizzard Beach is closed November to December I think, (I wouldn't know for sure cause everytime I visit it's open!!)

Know what sucks?? Coming from the bitter cold of a January in Ontario to visit a Skiing themed water park... Hooray, more snow and water!! Whoooppeeee! ... it's still fun... I still love it.. It would just be nice to be a bit more tropical in the winter!

P.S Keep your posts to yourself about the rudeness and impropriety of using the word sucks... you were warned!

Upvote 0

sittle

I don't know if anyone has visited consecutivly over the past few Jan/Feb that can also confirm, but I swear on all things Disney that I am not a liar, (and the recourse will be that I can NEVER visit another Disney park again) and the past three winters (Jan to March) that I have visited WDW in Orlando Florida, Typhoon Lagoon has been closed and Blizzard Beach has been open.

Swear to Walt!!

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

I don't know if anyone has visited consecutivly over the past few Jan/Feb that can also confirm, but I swear on all things Disney that I am not a liar, (and the recourse will be that I can NEVER visit another Disney park again) and the past three winters (Jan to March) that I have visited WDW in Orlando Florida, Typhoon Lagoon has been closed and Blizzard Beach has been open.

Swear to Walt!!
Not saying it wasnt, I was just saying what's in store for 2007/2008.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

As it's been pointed out...I looked at the schedule for this year...and on Disney's own website it says that TL is going to be closed Oct-Dec. Now I'm not 100% sure exactly when it's set to re-open...it could still be closed in the beginning of January...HOWEVER...BB will then be open Oct-Dec (or early January).

Now...in January (or mid January) BB will close for 3 months and TL will be open. So in that regard they do stagger. One park is always open for use while the other one is closed.

What I was talking about with the staggering is I didn't know if they switched off...one year TL is closed Oct-Dec and then the next year TL is closed Jan-March.

But according to Disney's own offical calendar which can be found here...TL is closed in part of Oct, Nov, and Dec.

Upvote 0

mnmrmustard

Original Poster
Maybe the letters sittle sent to customer relations worked! As long as one of them is open I'll be happy, but lets hear it for being hopeful about TL! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom