Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

LittleBuford

Original Poster
No animal is being bred to be thrown in the garbage. Animals are being raised for food, and some food is getting left over. There is nothing immoral about it.

When they serve significant amounts of fried chicken knowing that much of it will be thrown away, we're no longer dealing with leftovers, but with calculated waste. And I absolutely agree with @J_Carioca that such waste is unethical.

buckeyegator

have not read the whole thread, does any of the food go to homeless shelters,women,s shelters etc? would it be a tax write off, as if disney needs it?

LittleBuford

Original Poster
So, this is a four year old thread...
The topic is still relevant.

I returned to the Revue in December and it’s still a mountain of food. I asked for a box to take away the leftover shortcake (I’d been given a whole one to myself) and the CM said it wasn’t allowed. I couldn’t understand it.

castlecake2.0

The topic is still relevant.

I returned to the Revue in December and it’s still a mountain of food. I asked for a box to take away the leftover shortcake (I’d been given a whole one to myself) and the CM said it wasn’t allowed. I couldn’t understand it.
All table service restaurants and a growing number of quick service locations separate food waste which is collected for biofuel

LittleBuford

Original Poster
All table service restaurants and a growing number of quick service locations separate food waste which is collected for biofuel
That point has been made multiple times in this thread already. I don’t understand how it’s a good argument against minimising unnecessary waste in the first place.

castlecake2.0

That point has been made multiple times in this thread already. I don’t understand how it’s a good argument against minimising unnecessary waste in the first place.
Sorry didn’t read through all the pages. Didn’t say it’s a good argument was just saying what happened to it. For the most part Disney tries to control portion sizes to reduce waste and allow guests to take home leftovers. AYCTE venues are a challenge. I really like Sebastian’s Bistro but have a small appetite so when we go we ask for the platter a “size down” to start to try to reduce our waste.

JIMINYCR

It’s difficult to judge how much food any table will consume. The CM’s must deliver plentiful portions to all tables that will feed everyone at the initial serving. They don’t have a lot of time to serve and have the show continue on time. If they cut portions down to conserve wasted food that means more time spent running back and forth re- serving platters of food to every table.
The same goes for delivering take out boxes to every table which slows down clearing the tables for the dessert course.
At all restaurants there is a lot of wasted food that gets tossed out but what discussion would we have if portions brought to the tables were more meager and guests complain about value being less for what they are being served. Or service slowed down for the replenishing so many tables? Dis wants guests leaving thinking they got more for what they paid not less. I agree wasted food is a shame but that’s what you get with all you can eat services.

Disstevefan1

I did not even know it was all you can eat! Wow!

No worries for folks worried about food waste, I am sure WDW will change this to a fixed menu to reduce costs.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
It’s difficult to judge how much food any table will consume. The CM’s must deliver plentiful portions to all tables that will feed everyone at the initial serving. They don’t have a lot of time to serve and have the show continue on time. If they cut portions down to conserve wasted food that means more time spent running back and forth re- serving platters of food to every table.
The same goes for delivering take out boxes to every table which slows down clearing the tables for the dessert course.
At all restaurants there is a lot of wasted food that gets tossed out but what discussion would we have if portions brought to the tables were more meager and guests complain about value being less for what they are being served. Or service slowed down for the replenishing so many tables? Dis wants guests leaving thinking they got more for what they paid not less. I agree wasted food is a shame but that’s what you get with all you can eat services.
There’s a difference between generous portions and unmanageable ones. I don’t see why they can’t toy around with the quantities until they reach a sweet spot. I personally don’t need to see piles and piles of uneaten food destined for the bin in order to feel I’m getting my money’s worth.

It’s telling that no-one here has responded to say that they haven’t witnessed the level of waste I observed.

JIMINYCR

There’s a difference between generous portions and unmanageable ones. I don’t see why they can’t toy around with the quantities until they reach a sweet spot. I personally don’t need to see piles and piles of uneaten food destined for the bin in order to feel I’m getting my money’s worth.

It’s telling that no-one here has responded to say that they haven’t witnessed the level of waste I observed.
Its just as telling that no ones saying they ate the portions that were placed at their tables and there was NO waste. There is no sweet spot when different guests seated at all the tables have differing appetites or quantities they will comsume. There has to be a balance between the ability to be serving that number of tables, re-serve numbers of guests who do want more and have the show progress within the alloted time frame. Its goifg to be very different than a sit down meal where portions are set and guests can linger over a meal.
I wish there was a post from a CM on here that could tell us about handling the service at HDD. That would help us come to an answer.

NelleBelle

One could add buffets into the mix if we’re discussing food waste. How many times do people take helpings of something, not like it or eat a bite or two and move on to something else? I’m sure food in the buffet line has to be replaced with fresher pans when it’s sat out for a certain length of time?

I guess I’m with the posters who say bring some ziplocks to HDD and pack up the leftovers for later🤷‍♀️

LittleBuford

Original Poster
One could add buffets into the mix if we’re discussing food waste. How many times do people take helpings of something, not like it or eat a bite or two and move on to something else? I’m sure food in the buffet line has to be replaced with fresher pans when it’s sat out for a certain length of time?

I guess I’m with the posters who say bring some ziplocks to HDD and pack up the leftovers for later🤷‍♀️
To be clear, I understand that a certain amount of food waste is inevitable when dealing with these kinds of all-you-can-eat experiences. All I’m saying—all I have ever said throughout this thread—is that they might reduce the amount of waste at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue to something less obscene than it currently is.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom