Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

buseegal

This isn't true in my experience. I normally manage everything on my plate at WDW, and I'm not a big eater. Yes, I sometimes leave a little behind, but certainly not the large majority of the meal, which is what we ended up doing at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue.
i work in Food & Bev at a small park and you would be surprised at what is thrown out at end of night each night the park is open. also if park is only open weekends a huge amount is thrown out on Sunday night. we are not allowed to take anything home and by government rules it can not be given away

buseegal

Years ago, when both of our DDs were in HS choir, we worked University of Texas concessions to make money for their choir trips.
We worked everything from football games, basketball, arena football, concerts, etc.
I was always in charge of cookin’ the hot dogs and the Earl Campbell sausages (and there was even Popeyes chicken, made by Popeyes people, in our UT football concession for the first few years). We never threw out any food.
Whatever we felt would be eaten before it went bad, we took home and ate for meals. The rest we left on the cleaned up condiment counters at the end of the shift for whoever wanted it.
At the UT football games, the cheerleader room was adjacent to our concession for the first few years before the stadium was remodeled and expanded. I have never seen ladies that small gobble up that much food...!!!!! :hilarious:

Bottom line, it’s definitely disappointing to think of so much food bein’ wasted, so I hope most of it is goin’ to somebody that would appreciate it, and not bein’ thrown out...!!! :)
government rules would get us closed down if we did what you did. it is not allowed no matter how you feel about wasted food

buseegal

Unused and uneaten are two different things. I can see how food that never leaves the kitchen would be donated, but surely the leftovers from guests' tables cannot be distributed through this programme.
at the small park I work at we can not by government rules donate even food that never leaves kitchen

LittleBuford

Original Poster
government rules covers where extra food can go most times it can not be donated to food banks or the like

Sorry if I wasn't clear! The thoughts I plan to share with guest services concern the size of the portions, not what they do with the leftovers, which I know they're not permitted to donate.

donaldtoo

government rules would get us closed down if we did what you did. it is not allowed no matter how you feel about wasted food

I get that.
Lawyers, “gov’ment” action regarding such, and CYA mode nowadays. This was over a decade ago, there were no such rules for us at the time, and a LOT of good food wasn’t wasted...different times.

Disney.Mike

The thread may well end up being locked or deleted if we continue down this path. Most of the people I saw at the show were of average build anyway.

I've been to Disney probably 15 times... I've never seen ANY group of people at WDW be "average build". But that is another problem... overage build in the US is overweight/borderline obese

Disney.Mike

Actually there are some facts to back up @LittleBuford 's assertion the meat waste is worse than plant waste.

"One-third of the world’s food is lost or wasted. But the biggest loss, not included in this estimate, may be through our dietary choices. Consuming meat entails significantly more food loss than consuming plants directly. Favoring plant-based diets in America would produce enough food to feed 350 million additional people – more than would be fed if all conventional food supply chain losses were eliminated. "
- Yale Review

I post this as an omnivore who likes meat.
Fair point - but we produce enough food anyway. Truthfully Americas meat addiction has been a driving factor in making food production so efficient we actually have food waste

Lilofan

If you're saying what I think you're saying - that 100% of visitors to WDW are obese - then that's a really stupid statement.
Maybe not 100% but the pot bellies I've seen during my vacations, yes, the USA has a serious obesity problem and I used to be part of the problem until I changed.

Disney.Mike

If you're saying what I think you're saying - that 100% of visitors to WDW are obese - then that's a really stupid statement.
I didnt say 100% of visitors are obese. I said I've never seen any group of people (not individual families), where the group as a whole was of average build.

Minthorne

I didnt say 100% of visitors are obese. I said I've never seen any group of people (not individual families), where the group as a whole was of average build.

I don't know, all of the folks in the background group look average.

1582897902815.png

Tom P.

At the risk of being pedantic here, it is impossible for no group to be average. Because of the definition of the word "average." What you are perhaps saying is that the average build in the United States has changed over time, which is likely true, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still average. Average is just a statistical measure and has nothing to do with what is desired or proper.

Tom P.

Yes. No animal should be bred, born, raised and then killed just to be thrown in the garbage. It is absolutely immoral.
No animal is being bred to be thrown in the garbage. Animals are being raised for food, and some food is getting left over. There is nothing immoral about it.

J_Carioca

I haven't eaten at Hoop De Do, but I feel this way at Ohana. The platter of wings and pot stickers they give you is preposterous. My husband and I can eat a lot, but there's no way we can conquer that amount. The second time we ate there we deliberately asked for a smaller portion of the appetizers but no, we still got a massive portion. I asked the server what happens with the uneaten food and she told me it gets composted. To me this is marginally better than throwing it into the trash but not much.

Last week at Olivia's my husband had the fried chicken. When it came, the gravy on it was cold so he asked the server if she could have it reheated. She said "we'll have to give you a whole new one" and before he could protest, she whisked it away and took it to the kitchen. That plate of perfectly good food went into the trash (or compost heap, whatever). It's criminal. I know they're trying to keep customers happy, but we were both very upset that a large portion of MEAT had just been wasted. That's an animal that lived and died so it could be thrown in the trash. Why couldn't it have been reheated in a microwave for a minute? We're not talking the finest of dining here, it was a piece of fried chicken and gravy. Reheat it. The waste is appalling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom