Wasted food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Huge portions. A few are complaining about waste. Isn't a bigger issue the amount of food being consumed rather then focusing on food not being consumed (wasted,)?
I have no issue with huge portions that get eaten. Others may feel differently.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I’m sure that’s true.
I think it’s sad.
I don’t think there would be many complaints if the portions were reduced a little. The result would still be plenty of food and an impressive visual feast. Contrary to how some here seem to be interpreting me, I’m not suggesting that they replace abundance with meagerness!

MissingDisney

No. I wanted to highlight an issue and hear people’s thoughts on it. Both of those aims have been fulfilled.

Do you expect me to remain silent when I disagree with what others post here?

It’s strange you would fault me for this in a subforum devoted to WDW dining.

This is a thread about Hoop-Dee-Doo specifically. I created it because I experienced a level of waste there that I, personally, have never seen at any other Disney dining experience. If you or others want to discuss the problem of waste more generally, feel free to create new threads in the relevant (sub)forums.
Remain silent? 😂 No Miranda Righta being read here. Have at it! Shout it from the rooftops in all caps if you like!

Asking for clarity is not faulting someone. Post in any forum you want about anything you want. It just seems like you keep repeating the same thing. I was simply asking what's the end goal here.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
It just seems like you keep repeating the same thing. I was simply asking what's the end goal here.
I'm repeating the same thing because I don't have anything new to say in response to people's replies to me. I'm not just talking to myself here; others are engaged (just as repetitiously) in this discussion too. That said, I agree the conversation has gone about as far as it can go, with all points having been made multiple times now.

Mark Dunne

i saw it on one table In peso bills, the table next to us literally left everything to waste, I hate food waste, if we order it we eat it! You waste it when you didn’t need it in the first place . Very sad ☹️

Club Cooloholic

It doesnt take much to find out where all of the uneaten food goes...

Disney Harvest works in partnership with the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. Second Harvest is a nonprofit organization that provides food to over 500 partner agencies in six counties. Disney Harvest trucks deliver unused food at the end of each day, ensuring that thousands of pounds of food that would otherwise go to waste can be used to feed the hungry. The program regularly supplies enough food to feed approximately 1,000 children per week to Second Harvest, which then distributed the donations to its numerous food bank partners.

The nature of the Disney Harvest donations varies greatly thanks to the wide variety of restaurants at Walt Disney World. On any given day, the donations may include items ranging from pounds of salad fixings to steaks of filet mignon, and everything in between. In the year 2010, Disney Harvest donations to Second Harvest totaled over 360,000 lbs of food.
I am pretty sure that is food that was prepared but not served. They aren't going to donate food that was already on customers tables. What @LittleBuford was saying is just serve smaller portions, it's all mass produced anyway but at least more of it can be either saved for the next day if possible (I'm sure they do this to am extent) or for donations.

Last edited:

macefamily

I know that a lot of food goes in the bin regardless of the venue, but at least at other locations, one has a fighting chance of clearing one's plate. The amount they put out the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, however, is deliberately extravagant, and that's what gets to me. Providing excessive quantities of food in the knowledge that much of it is going to get thrown away strikes me as really distasteful (forgive the pun!) in this waste-conscious age.
I'm totally with you. If we had one spoonful of mac and cheese left they would immeditely carry over another tub. I really felt like we gorged ourselves at Hoop-Dee-Doo-Revue.

JIMINYCR

It was a rhetorical question. I think it’s pretty absurd to expect guests to anticipate that a family-style meal they’re experiencing for the first time will generate obscene amounts of waste.

It seems to work at Garden Grill, where the portions are abundant without being anywhere near as overwhelming as they are at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue.
Rhetorical... riiiight. Since it doesnt fit the outcome you want it now has little value.
No comparison. The GG doesnt have the number of tables, guests dining at the same time nor are they under the time constraint of a show.

_caleb

I was initially surprised that @LittleBuford’s simple suggestion “they should downsize from positively enormous to absolutely huge portions for Hoop-Dee-Doo to avoid food waste” would elicit such strong reactions.

But then I remembered we’re on WDWMagic and that’s how pretty much every thread seems to go these days.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I was initially surprised that @LittleBuford’s simple suggestion “they should downsize from positively enormous to absolutely huge portions for Hoop-Dee-Doo to avoid food waste” would elicit such strong reactions.

But then I remembered we’re on WDWMagic and that’s how pretty much every thread seems to go these days.
What’s atypical, however, is when the strong reactions are largely in defence of Disney. I’ve seen very few topics that tend in this direction; it’s usually the opposite.

DisneyFanatic12

have not read the whole thread, does any of the food go to homeless shelters,women,s shelters etc? would it be a tax write off, as if disney needs it?
Not cooked food, but when I volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank we get a TON of food from Disney and Publix. Obviously, this is all the food that is close to expiration and is still in packaging, but they do donate pretty significant volumes oftentimes.

As for leftover food waste (that can’t be donated for many reasons), I’ve always thought that composting it could create some excellent soil, something that Florida generally lacks in their exceptionally sandy ground!

JohnD

I'm not usually one to care about that sort of thing but the first and only time I've been to Round Up Rodeo - solo mind you - I received so much food I couldn't eat, I asked what they did with all the wasted food. Apparently, they compost it. I haven't been back since. I was overwhelmed with too much food!

CntrlFlPete

from what I recall of HDD was that it all centers around being a show -- all courses are brought out into the hall at the same time -- it all seems times/planned -- makes more sense to me to want to minimize 2nd servings that would break the flow.

I do wonder how many folks were in the party. We are a family of three, I know we did not eat everything at HDD but at most Family style WDW restaurants, we do ok -- BUT Woody's Roundup -- we have been there twice and I swear they bring us a plate for SIX, I cannot imagine any party of three could eat more than 3/4ths of what they dish out. Just saying Woody's is a bigger waster and I cannot think of a reason why as it does not run as a choreographed show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom