Was the Star Tours rework a success for Disney?

polynesiangirl

I had been out of the WDW loop for the last few years and honestly, until I really started looking into our upcoming trip I had completely forgotten about the Star Tours overhaul. It really doesn't feel like they've played it up enough in their advertising, etc, but maybe it's just me.

HenryMystic

A great topic, Steve, and my response echos many before me, Disney failed at getting the word out. So, it isn't surprising that it didn't drive attendance and/or is still getting the same ridership. I hope to get over to DHS in October largely just to ride this and Tower.

Query: is it still on the DHS map cover?

DisneyJunkie

I'll find out in September whether the upgrade was worth the effort or not. By and large, I think the average WDW guest is looking for something completely new and unique, not simply a new coat of paint on an old house.

The Empress Lilly

The new Star Tours is awesome! A complete triumph! An entirely new experience and I rode it over and over on my last trip.

I have been raving about it so much that I actually felt I had to avoid bringing it up all of the time, lest I bore the reader.

STII is how to freshen up a ride. A total win. Yet the very quality of the reworking may be its own enemy: if there are no new guests even for a work of this quality, then why bother?
This thread worries me. It would be very sad if WDW drew the conclusion from STII that only the completely new attraction generates the buzz to tickle the public imagination.

~ The D&G fav park of DLP still has the boring old version ~

Redsky89

I think its a top notch attraction that don't get the respect it deserves. Then again I am a Star Wars fan boy. It isn't the type of attraction that brings in mobs of people but I'm fine with that. While people are waiting 432789 hours to get on Toy Story Mania I've ridden Star Tours a buncha times.

MKCP 1985

I agree with Richard (Master Yoda) that the refurb turned Star Tours from something to do if we have time into something we have to do a couple of times per trip. To me, that is a major change. It is probably the most successful refurb at Walt Disney World, in my opinion.

My last visit was on the Sunday of the last weekend of Star Wars weekend and there was a 45 minute wait or longer all day long.

The bigger question of whether to demolish rides to make way for new attractions - wow, that's tough. I am glad they didn't demolish Star Tours - I like what is there now much better than what was there before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Success? Maybe. Needed? Definately.

As has been said, TDO are their own worst enemy here. None of my regular tourist friends know anything about the changes, the alternate destinations or the reridability.

There needs to be more mentioned about this on park maps, outside and in the line, and when exiting.

Bairstow

There needs to be more mentioned about this on park maps, outside and in the line, and when exiting.

Would that really matter?
From Disney's perspective, the problem isn't people who are already in the park knowing that an attraction was refurbished and appreciating it, it's getting them to come to the park in the first place because of Disney's investment in the ride.
In other words, why advertise something you've already sold?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would that really matter?
From Disney's perspective, the problem isn't people who are already in the park knowing that an attraction was refurbished and appreciating it, it's getting them to come to the park in the first place because of Disney's investment in the ride.
In other words, why advertise something you've already sold?
True, but once the guest is in they're a captive audience. Do they know they need to spend more time in the park to ride more than once or twice? Or to maybe come back another day and try again? And once they do, to tell their friends back home (or online) about it?

I can't see more than hardcore SW fans visiting just to ride, but a general guest already visiting may spend more - or indeed extra - time in WDWs third gate if they knew why they should go back.

NormC

The new Star Tours is awesome! A complete triumph! An entirely new experience and I rode it over and over on my last trip.

I have been raving about it so much that I actually felt I had to avoid bringing it up all of the time, lest I bore the reader.

STII is how to freshen up a ride. A total win. Yet the very quality of the reworking may be its own enemy: if there are no new guests even for a work of this quality, then why bother?
This thread worries me. It would be very sad if WDW drew the conclusion from STII that only the completely new attraction generates the buzz to tickle the public imagination.

~ The D&G fav park of DLP still has the boring old version ~
I completely agree. It was definitely a worthwhile upgrade to an already fun but tired attraction. We were there for the soft openings and rode it several times. It is great fun.

sgtmgd

Tough question...I rode this in January and had high high hopes and was underwhelmed by the ride..yes the update is ok...but since it was supposed to be a major refurb I guess I expected more...its a much milder simulator than mission to mars..the ambiance is great but I'd expected the Que to be different and to me it really wasn't..ill certainly ride it again when Im there over labor day..but all in all I wasnt blown away

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Needed? Without a doubt?
Success?? Not especially!
Marketing the ride as new seems to be the key!
The lack of marketing is very surprising!

I have not had to chance to ride the new version yet and I cannot wait! I LOVE the original star tours and I'm actually las I can still ride it at DLP but I cannot wait to get on the new version as many times as possible over the 3 weeks I will be there in August :D

MagicMike

It is probably the most successful refurb at Walt Disney World, in my opinion.

Great Point! As far as refurbishments go this was a major upgrade that made the ride far superior without compromising any of the original attractions appeal. I consider that the definition of a successful refurb.

janoimagine

I love the new version ... however I felt like they didn't market the East Coast version as well as they did it's West Coast counterpart.

Was it a success? No, it was a marketing fail.

mollydtt

I love the new Star Wars, but I have to admit that I can't compare it to the original, because I never visited DW before this year.

I like the fact, that each experience is changed from the previous one, but wish that each ride could be a bit longer. And, yeah, after one Toy Story Mania, I'm ready to ride Star Tours multiple times. I think the queue line is entertaining, too.

Patricia Melton

You know what I would love?

I'd love for an insider at Disney or Lucas to ever come forward and anonymously reveal what's kept Star Wars from becoming a full "land" at DHS. It would be MARVELOUS there.

For years, I've gone back and forth wondering if Star Wars would be a good fit for Tomorrowland...and it's really not. But it could be a marvelous and immersive land at DHS.

I run my own aquaculture business. I am by no means a big deal, but I do a good business. If someone wanted to start up an operation to compete with mine nearby, I'd pull out all the stops in upgrading my facilities with the latest advancements. I'd go all out. 80% of it for good business sense, but 20% just because I'm not the kind of woman who lets someone come in and steal her thunder without one hell of a fight.

It BOGGLES my mind that Disney did not immediately begin Star Wars immersive land at DHS the day after they heard about Universal building a Potterland in Orlando. They could have had a Star Wars area opened right around the time that Universal opened Potter...because I can't imagine Disney doesn't have spies that tell them what rivals are building.

It just amazes me that Disney allowed Potterland to be built without Disney creating a new "land" of its own to usurp its thunder. A highly immersive, large-scale, Star Wars land at DHS would have stolen Potter's glory. The Star Wars fan base is much bigger and people have literally been waiting for this for decades.

I am fascinated by the mystery of why this has never happened.

Is it George Lucas who is preventing it?
Is it that Disney just wanted to be cheap and not spend any money, hoping Potter would fail?

Coke is the biggest soft drink company in the world. Pepsi will never beat Coke. It's just not going to happen. But Coke does not ignore Pepsi. Whenever there's a new flavor of Pepsi coming out, Coke has something new and in many ways better to counter it.

I'm so puzzled why Disney does not behave this way too. They just sort of let Potterland happen, and did nothing to really compete with it or usurp it. I wonder why.

There has to be a business decision for this. I just can't figure out WHAT it is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
they had billboards all over the orlando area for it...
I seem to recall it being on the park map covers...

their attraction page outlines all changes as lead points...

I happen to think the ride concept has simply been eclipsed by the competition and inside DHS it's not even the top attraction.. nor likely the second most popular.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
You know what I would love?

I'd love for an insider at Disney or Lucas to ever come forward and anonymously reveal what's kept Star Wars from becoming a full "land" at DHS. It would be MARVELOUS there.

For years, I've gone back and forth wondering if Star Wars would be a good fit for Tomorrowland...and it's really not. But it could be a marvelous and immersive land at DHS.

I run my own aquaculture business. I am by no means a big deal, but I do a good business. If someone wanted to start up an operation to compete with mine nearby, I'd pull out all the stops in upgrading my facilities with the latest advancements. I'd go all out. 80% of it for good business sense, but 20% just because I'm not the kind of woman who lets someone come in and steal her thunder without one hell of a fight.

It BOGGLES my mind that Disney did not immediately begin Star Wars immersive land at DHS the day after they heard about Universal building a Potterland in Orlando. They could have had a Star Wars area opened right around the time that Universal opened Potter...because I can't imagine Disney doesn't have spies that tell them what rivals are building.

It just amazes me that Disney allowed Potterland to be built without Disney creating a new "land" of its own to usurp its thunder. A highly immersive, large-scale, Star Wars land at DHS would have stolen Potter's glory. The Star Wars fan base is much bigger and people have literally been waiting for this for decades.

I am fascinated by the mystery of why this has never happened.

Is it George Lucas who is preventing it?
Is it that Disney just wanted to be cheap and not spend any money, hoping Potter would fail?

Coke is the biggest soft drink company in the world. Pepsi will never beat Coke. It's just not going to happen. But Coke does not ignore Pepsi. Whenever there's a new flavor of Pepsi coming out, Coke has something new and in many ways better to counter it.

I'm so puzzled why Disney does not behave this way too. They just sort of let Potterland happen, and did nothing to really compete with it or usurp it. I wonder why.

There has to be a business decision for this. I just can't figure out WHAT it is.

We all think the same :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom