Was removing the backlot tour a mistake?

Chef Mickey

The real mistake was allowing it to become a shell of its former self.

This was simply a matter of not putting any time, money, or effort into an attraction and removing it because it became so ridiculous, no one would care if it's gone anyway.

A GOOD backlot tour would still work, but it requires maintenance and new ideas to be incorporated over time. Not a "set it and forget it" mindset that current management can't seem to get away from.

blueboxdoctor

Would have been nice if they would have updated it at some point. I mean, they basically stopped changing the props for about a decade. The part in the beginning was cool but really, who even remembered there was a Pearl Harbor movie that part of the tour was based on? That said, it was pretty fun to be part of the show the one time my sister and I were picked to be in it. The canyon part was cool, but it needed more things like that. My favorite part was the big warehouse full of props, which I wish they kept in some way.

Sadly, the original vision of the park has changed a lot from celebrating movies and the history/progression of movies, to basically just whatever is popular, which will probably be hard to keep up with. Granted, Star Wars and Toy Story are now pop culture icons, but it really hurts the diversity that could have been.

TXDisney

HS is/was my least favorite park. Oddly it has some of my favorite rides though. ToT and RR. But bc I didn't/don't love the park like the other 3 I do tend to cut my days short there and head to Epcot in the evening. Some shows like the backlot tour and the stunt show I wish I would've enjoyed every trip rather than skipping now that they're gone. But I do think I'll enjoy Star Wars and toy story lands more than those shows.

danyoung56

Anyone remember way back when they had some kids riding a large animatronic bee (from Honey I Shrunk the Kids)? Or how bout that movie they used to show where Bette Midler lost a lottery ticket, shot on the Streets of America? Or the walk past the studios and even past the control rooms? Yeah, the current tour was a pale shadow, and I won't miss it at all (except, as others have said, maybe Catastrophe Canyon - that was pretty cool!).

wdwfan4ver

If that's the best example you can come up with, then good riddance to it! "He's being hit with an international object!"
It was the first thing thing that popped into my mind due to my aunt and her family actually was at one of the WCW live tapings due to theme being picked as part of the live audience. It was that or Hulk Hogan's tv show called Thunder in Paradise.

I forgot about Wheel of Fortune being tapped there, along with Win, lose or draw, Let's make a deal, and the all new Mickey Mouse Club.

The live production isn't that good compare to the Animation production that happened at DHS

Matt_Black

Yeah, what were the big ones from there? Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear? At least 2 of those were pretty good. (And I liked BB and still don't quite get the scorn heaped on it. If nothing else, it is a gorgeously animated film.)

rob0519

No, that thing was a disgrace and should have been sent to the pasture long before 2014. So glad the entire back half of the park is gone. Its too bad part of it is being wasted on a mediocre Toy Story Land

In my opinion the Stunt Show was the biggest waste of space ever. The walk to get to it was exhaustive and the show itself didn't really impress me, but a lot of people seemed to like it or used it as a time waster, I really don't know.

The Toy Story Land is obviously being used to lure families with small children to the park. There really isn't much there for the younger k
ids and something is needed in the park to lure families away from the over crowded MK. Maybe it won't be mediocre. No way tell for sure until it's finished

Phonedave

In my opinion the Stunt Show was the biggest waste of space ever. The walk to get to it was exhaustive and the show itself didn't really impress me, but a lot of people seemed to like it or used it as a time waster, I really don't know.

The Toy Story Land is obviously being used to lure families with small children to the park. There really isn't much there for the younger k
ids and something is needed in the park to lure families away from the over crowded MK. Maybe it won't be mediocre. No way tell for sure until it's finished

I liked it, but it was, as you said, out of the way, extremely hot most days, and ate up HUGE chunks of time.

-dave

Goofyernmost

There was a Blue Thunder helicopter fuselage shell at various places around the boneyard over the years.

The Passanger 57 L10-11 section ended up at the end of the wardrobe corridor, opposite the scenic shop viewing window.
Thank you... yes, I remember that in the corridor now. I remember the BT helicopter I was just questioning the validity of saying that the show was underrated. :happy:

Graham9

I didn't mind the full-length tour before the stunt show. I can't say it was ever brilliant, but certainly worth a look. The arrival of the stunt show and slicing it in half reduced it to being tedious and boring, added with no investment or effort to make it a worthwhile attraction. As for the Streets of America, I can't comment if this was a good move or not, I guess that would depend on if this new Star Wars stuff is a worthwhile replacement. I think getting rid of Osbourne Lights is a major mistake. If it has to move, then there was an opportunity to move to another location/park, maybe revamp it in some way. Its a major attraction pull which has now gone. Sadly, this means less reason to go to HS.

JIMINYCR

I was never a great fan of the Backlot Tour. There was never a lot to see or experience, Golden Girls house....and yeah there were some fascinating props scattered around that were pointed out and then the Walt plane. But I always got the sense that it was added in mostly to do something more with the space and funnel guests through to ease up other sections of the park. The stunt show was fun the first time I saw it because it was new and loud and different but after seeing it several times it lost its appeal. And boy was the stadium uncomfortable. So I wont miss its going and am hopeful the new constructed land will be a big welcomed change.

EOD K9

I used to enjoy the full tour as well. I do wonder if the name will change again with the loss of the movie making façade. Either way, I still enjoy the park at night. Also, would anyone here flame me if I ever refer to it as MGM regardless of what the new name is?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, what were the big ones from there? Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear? At least 2 of those were pretty good. (And I liked BB and still don't quite get the scorn heaped on it. If nothing else, it is a gorgeously animated film.)

parts of other films were done there too.. like parts of Lion King

wdwfan4ver

True enough about the stunt being a waste of space. I went to see it once. It was okay, but it was a one and done thing as I care. The other problem to me was it very hot. I saw it during during the later part of August back in 2007 or 2008.

The amount of space it took up is was a problem considering DHS needed more attraction and that space is good enough multiple things.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

As for the Streets of America, I can't comment if this was a good move or not, I guess that would depend on if this new Star Wars stuff is a worthwhile replacement. I think getting rid of Osbourne Lights is a major mistake. If it has to move, then there was an opportunity to move to another location/park, maybe revamp it in some way. Its a major attraction pull which has now gone. Sadly, this means less reason to go to HS.
DHS does have a new projection, and fireworks show called JIngle Bell,Jingle Bam! Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam! that will also have music and snow. That would be starting on November 14th.

I had a chance to see the lights in late November and early December of 2010. They are great to see.

The problem is Streets of America was a waste of space before November of each year. That area was only used for the lights and nothing else.

There is really no other place in DHS for it. I don't think AK is made for the display. I don't think Epcot is although it did have Lights of Winter in the past.

You wouldn't expect the lights to be in Disney Springs either because I don't see Disney wanting guests to see something like that for free.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

The problem is Streets of America was a waste of space before November of each year. That area was only used for the lights and nothing else.

That's not entirely true- before they started moving it around, that's where the unannounced Fantasmic meet & greet was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom