Was removing the backlot tour a mistake?

parkhopper1213

I've seen that mentioned a number of times. When was Comedy Warehouse part of DHS on a regular basis? It was part of Pleasure Island, but, when was it in DHS? Osborne Lights are recent additions as was the Stunt show. Streets of America and the Backlot Tour were part of when it was a studio. BLT stayed, to small degree, relevant because of Catastrophe Canyon, but, Streets of America was just a place for bodies to take up space without the Osborne Lights which were only in November and December. Oh, and the "half" as you say, that is missing had almost nothing in it. Believe me most people over the last 10 or so years, would not be missing it. There is still plenty of things to do. The only real thing missing is CC and the Car Show. The rest was just a grouping of fake facade buildings. They could have put up construction walls and painted pictures of buildings on them and had the same thing in 2d instead of 3d.
The Comedy Warehouse was also a Christmas Holiday thing along with the Osborne Lights. They held it in the building behind the Streets of America and Muppet Vision.

Goofyernmost

The Comedy Warehouse was also a Christmas Holiday thing along with the Osborne Lights. They held it in the building behind the Streets of America and Muppet Vision.
OK, I'll take you word for it, but, that didn't happen until they closed PI, did it? And again it was just for the holiday season. Or in other words, not really part of the everyday DHS line up.

roj2323

Most of the things we loved about Hollywood Studios are now gone. Osborne LIghts and Streets of America, Car Stunt Show, Backlot Tour and the Comedy Warehouse. This new stuff better get built fast cause there's 1/2 a park under construction and they are charging full price.

Back when I worked at the park (2yrs ago) I was told 80% or better of guests are entering the park with a park hopper so even if it's only a half day they are still getting their money worth.

Matt_Black

Back when I worked at the park (2yrs ago) I was told 80% or better of guests are entering the park with a park hopper so even if it's only a half day they are still getting their money worth.

And that's ignoring the fact that the more days you go, the cheaper it is. Trust me, this has been explained ad nauseum, but it doesn't stop people here from ranting "They're charging over $100 for a 1/2 park!!!".

lifeguard1020

Oh come on...you guys are missing some of the most important things! The space ship from Flight of the Navigator was still there! Right up until the tour closed. The movie wasn't THAT old. It only came out in 1986!
At one point there was that fantastic Dick Tracy "performance" as part of the tour when it still drove down the Streets of America. I'm sure that I could give a few more examples too...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And that's ignoring the fact that the more days you go, the cheaper it is. Trust me, this has been explained ad nauseum, but it doesn't stop people here from ranting "They're charging over $100 for a 1/2 park!!!".

Yet if you talk to a ticketing CM you will find the most common ticket sold is indeed the 1 Day ticket

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Most of the things we loved about Hollywood Studios are now gone. Osborne LIghts and Streets of America, Car Stunt Show, Backlot Tour and the Comedy Warehouse. This new stuff better get built fast cause there's 1/2 a park under construction and they are charging full price.

Check back in 3 years - we might have TSL land online by then...

Captain Barbossa

I've been going to Hollywood studios since 1994
And I've seen many things change, but I think the Decision to cut the backlot tour in half for the car stunt show was a mistake, in my opinion it removed the best part of the tour and hurt the park overall.. what are your thoughts?
Totally agree. Miss the seeing the houses.

Goofyernmost

Yet if you talk to a ticketing CM you will find the most common ticket sold is indeed the 1 Day ticket
OK, now let's put in the variables that might make that statement correct. Talk to a ticketing CM and you will find out the most common ticket sold is the 1 day ticket. The reason for this is that most multi-day tickets are purchased in advance either separately or with the vacation package and not at the gate. I have been going to WDW for 34 years and have yet to ever buy a ticket at the park. They have always been purchased well before I got there. Why would anyone that is planning to stay for an extended period of time decide to put it off until they get there to wait in yet another line to purchase their tickets. Those that do buy tickets at the gate are mostly day trippers that are in the area for a short time and decide to go to a park for the day. AND IF THEY DO, and they are at all aware of what is happening at Disney, are not buying that one day to go to DHS. If they are doing that at all, it is for Magic Kingdom, the one park that everyone relates to being a fun Disney park hence the higher cost per day then the rest.

Matt_Black

OK, now let's put in the variables that might make that statement correct. Talk to a ticketing CM and you will find out the most common ticket sold is the 1 day ticket. The reason for this is that most multi-day tickets are purchased in advance either separately or with the vacation package and not at the gate. I have been going to WDW for 34 years and have yet to ever buy a ticket at the park. They have always been purchased well before I got there. Why would anyone that is planning to stay for an extended period of time decide to put it off until they get there to wait in yet another line to purchase their tickets. Those that do buy tickets at the gate are mostly day trippers that are in the area for a short time and decide to go to a park for the day. AND IF THEY DO, and they are at all aware of what is happening at Disney, are not buying that one day to go to DHS. If they are doing that at all, it is for Magic Kingdom, the one park that everyone relates to being a fun Disney park hence the higher cost per day then the rest.

After that, I would imagine most of the remaining one-day sales to primarily be for EPCOT during one of the two festivals.

powderehss

You seem kind of young to be hanging onto the MGM identity. It has been DHS for a long time now.
My first trip to MGM was around 2001 during 100 Years of Magic when I was about five or six.
Back then it was still called MGM Studios. According to Wikipedia they renamed it Hollywood Studios in 2008.

Since the prices for airfare, hotels and tickets have gone up in the past few years, we haven't gone as much as we used to unfortunately.
Me and my folks still call it MGM because that's what we remembered it was. Same with Downtown Disney (Disney Springs? Huh?)

...A lot's changed since I last stayed there for a full week back in 2003. This year's trip was only three freakin' days for crying out loud! And the first day was us just getting to Fort Wilderness! The last two days we got to visit the parks once again.

lifeguard1020

Me and my folks still call it MGM because that's what we remembered it was. Same with Downtown Disney (Disney Springs? Huh?)

Disney Springs? I still catch myself calling it the Disney Village/Marketplace. And I'll probably end up calling it MGM forever. That's how it was planted in my head, and I don't know if it's even possible to change!

Goofyernmost

Disney Springs? I still catch myself calling it the Disney Village/Marketplace. And I'll probably end up calling it MGM forever. That's how it was planted in my head, and I don't know if it's even possible to change!
It is, you just have to want too. But, since it is just a theme park, it doesn't really matter. Things change, some change with it, others don't. No law says you have too. There are many that first went to WDW when all there was happened to be MK. They now will go to EPCOT Ctr. one day and Disneyworld (MK) the next. There are so many more important things to worry about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom