Was Disney World better years ago? Your thoughts.

Was the Disney World of yesteryear (the 1980s to mid 2000s) better?

• Total voters

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster

"Was Disney World better years ago?" Do Ducks have a waterproof Keyster ?​

the muses yes GIF

ParentsOf4

The following is something I posted in 2018.

Using a scale of 0 to 100, with 100 meaning "absolutely fabulous" and 0 meaning "it's a dump and should be closed", I graded Walt Disney World (WDW) for each year since its opening in 1971. Ultimately I decided to grade WDW against itself, using WDW's best years as the Gold Standard.

It's an arbitrary chart based on my opinion of WDW's quality and value over the decades. It's not based on real data. You might very well have a different opinion.

WDW Historical Grade.jpg

WDW was by no means perfect when it opened in 1971. The Magic Kingdom was a work in progress but still managed to blow the competition out of the water (only Disneyland was better) with an unflinching commitment to making its Guests happy.

Things only got better from there, with classic attractions such as Pirates of the Caribbean (POTC) and Space Mountain (SM) opening in the mid-1970s, River Country in 1976, followed by Big Thunder Mountain (BTM) in 1980.

WDW peaked with the opening of Epcot in 1982. Quality remained outstanding while total ticket price decreased. Previously, admission and attraction tickets were sold separately. Concerned about using that pricing scheme at Epcot, Disney leadership created a combined ticket, discontinuing attraction booklets. I recall many being upset about it but as someone who simply wanted to ride attractions all day long, the new tickets were perfect!

That perfection continued for a few years until Michael Eisner became CEO. One of his earliest actions was to increase ticket prices by double-digits. Those upset with the 1982 ticket change were furious with Eisner's massive increases, which continued from 1984 to 1988.

Attitudes greatly improved with the opening of Disney-MGM Studios and Typhoon Lagoon (TL) in 1989. Disney-MGM Studios got off to a rough start; there simply wasn't much to do. However, by the end of the year with the opening of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours, Disney-MGM Studios finally felt like a theme park worthy of the Disney name. Typhoon Lagoon was amazing, unlike any other water park in the World. It made the quaint River Country seem amateurish. By 1990, the anger resulting from the price increases had been largely forgotten. With 3 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping district, and a nightclub district, WDW finally felt worthy of a week's vacation.

By the early 1990s, the wood was starting to rot beneath the glittering façade. Disney’s Strategic Planning unit began to micromanage theme park decisions. Gone was the uncompromising commitment to excellence, superseded by a cost-benefit-analysis of every aspect of the resort. Year-by-year, quality slipped, replaced by a "good enough" attitude. Many devoted frontline Cast Members remained but senior management was forced out, supplanted by those "sharp-pencil guys" Walt Disney had warned about decades before. Externally, all was well. Internally, Disney’s Old Guard was fading, never to return.

Still, the 1990s experienced many exciting additions. Splash Mountain (SM) opened in 1992. Arguably WDW's best attraction, Tower of Terror (TOT), opened in 1994, followed by Blizzard Beach (BB) in 1995. To the casual Guest, it was a glorious decade.

Perhaps WDW's last gasp of true greatness occurred with the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom (DAK) in 1998. It should have been WDW's high-water mark. Instead, DAK opened with too few attractions and struggled with an image problem. (Remember the 2001 "Nahtazu" campaign?) Hardcore Disney fans were disappointed.

The slow decay continued as Eisner was under increasing pressure by Wall Street to improve margin, yet WDW still was an excellent resort, still the best in the World.

The vacation industry took a nosedive after those horrific events of September 11. WDW was not immune. Projects were cancelled, hotels were shuttered, Cast Members were laid off. Operating expenses were slashed and, for many, declining quality became visible for the first time.

After the initial shock, Disney took steps to correct its downturn in business, primarily through deep discounts such as the "Buy Four, Get Three Free" campaign. WDW's affordability improved even as the economy struggled.

WDW experienced another uptick with the introduction of the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket in 2005 and the opening of Expedition Everest (EE) in 2006. Using an a la cart pricing scheme, the MYW ticket improved WDW's affordability for those seeking an entry-level theme park experience, while EE represented WDW's last great attraction until 2017.

The late 2000s arguably represent WDW's low point. Even though Strategic Planning had closed shop in 2005, budget cuts continued as corporate Disney increasingly nickel-and-dimed its Guests. Worse, for the first time in its history, capital expenditures were not keeping up with depreciation. The parks were aging yet Disney was deferring basic maintenance. It showed, with each year getting a bit worse than the year before.

Opened in 2012, the New Fantasyland (NFL) represented a change in direction, expanding WDW's most popular land in the World's most popular theme park. Yet ultimately it added only 2 attractions, replacing 2 that had closed. It was a small improvement but with much unrealized potential. NFL could have been so much more. NFL should have been more.

WDW held steady in the years following the opening of NFL. There were several modest improvements yet also more cost cutting and price increases, largely cancelling each other out. The net effect was a WDW no longer in decline, but not yet on the mend.

With the addition of Pandora, 2017 was a step upward. The entire land is well-themed and some consider Flight of Passage to be one of WDW's best attractions. Na'vi River Journey is immersive even if it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. The Satu'li Canteen offers bold (for a theme park) food selections.

Sadly, Toy Story Land (TSL) was not enough to continue this upward trend in 2018.

2018 saw some of WDW's biggest price increases in years. Rack rate for a Standard room at All Star Sports was up 8.0%. The popular 4-day base ticket was up 8.5%. Annual Passholders got nailed with a 9% increase! Plus Disney started double-dipping by (for the first time) charging for hotel parking, something that previously was included in the room price for WDW's first 46 years!

One of my bellwethers is the water parks' Sand Pail. I was disappointed to report a large increase to $13.99 last year. This year, they avoided a price increase and, instead, dropped volume from 36 to 24 oz while still charging the same amount:

Sand Pail.JPG

Added together, 2018 became a horrendous year for those shopping for a (relatively) inexpensive WDW vacation.

Meanwhile, theme park attendance continued to climb, meaning Guests were waiting in longer lines even as they paid more. TSL had to deliver a lot to justify these increases. Sadly, it missed the mark by a wide margin.

In some ways, TSL is exactly what WDW did not need: an overhyped, modestly themed land with 2 low-capacity kiddie attractions in a theme park where multiple high-capacity attractions were permanently closed.

Let's recall how we got here. The Great Movie Ride closed. The Backlot Tour closed. Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground closed. Perhaps worst of all, the crowd pleasing (and mega capacity) Osborne Festival of Dancing Lights is gone. (And, on a personal note, one of my favorites, Starring Rolls closed.) Combined, these nearly returned DHS to its dire state after its May 1989 opening. At that time, many WDW fans were furious with what they (justifiably) felt was a ripoff of a theme park ticket. DHS will improve once Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway open but, for 2018, TSL may have made DHS even worse by attracting crowds that far exceed its two attractions' limited capacity.

Don't get me wrong; TSL is nice. Some dislike it but theming is consistent with the existing Toy Story Mania. Slinky Dog Dash (SDD) is a fun little coaster. Yet Alien Swirling Saucers and Woody's Lunch Box are disappointing. All three are vastly inferior to their counterparts at Pandora.

And throughout my visits this year, I saw sights like this far too often:

Garbage Can.jpg

Higher than normal price increases. Increased crowds. Insufficient added capacity. A new land inferior to last year's Pandora. For these reasons and others, WDW took a step backwards in 2018.

Addendum:

I have not updated the above since 2018 but a lot (both good and bad) has happened since then.

Galaxy's Edge was a great step forward. The land is extensively themed while Rise of the Resistance is the best attraction ever! Having experienced the Star Wars phenomenon in 1977, Smuggler's Run is a dream come true for the teenager in me. (Yes, I know others don't like it as much as I do.) Mickey n Minnie's Runaway Railroad is a nice addition. It's debatable if it's better than the Great Movie Ride that it replaced, but it did help restore DHS.

Conversely, hotel price increases in 2019 and 2020 (pre pandemic) were among the highest in decades, which brings the grade down. In particular, Disney used the Skyliner as an excuse to increase the prices at Art of Animation, Pop Century, and Caribbean Beach Resort by a combined 24% in 2 years.

Also bringing the grade down are several recent money grabs: Disney's Magical Express (RIP), Extra Magic Hours (RIP), FastPass+ (RIP), Genie+, and others. And let's not forget flex ticket pricing. In 2021, a single day ticket during Christmas week will set you back $159 plus tax.

Disney genuinely deserves a pass for everything that happened in 2020. They did the best they could. Even though I was greatly disappointed at some of the announced attraction cuts, I understand the financial reasons.

The net effect is that the grade I gave WDW in 2018 is about the same grade it deserves today.

Last edited:

John park hopper

The following is something I posted in 2018. I have not updated the graph since. The addition of Galaxy's Edge will have improved the grade, while hotel price increases in 2019 and 2020 (pre pandemic) were among the highest in decades. Disney genuinely deserves a pass for everything that happened in 2020, while we've seen some terrible money-grabs announced in 2021. For example, the end of Disney's Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, and FastPass+, along with the addition Genie+. The net effect is that the grade I gave WDW in 2018 is about the same grade it deserves today.

Using a scale of 0 to 100, with 100 meaning "absolutely fabulous" and 0 meaning "it's a dump and should be closed", I graded Walt Disney World (WDW) for each year since its opening in 1971. Ultimately I decided to grade WDW against itself, using WDW's best years as the Gold Standard.

It's an arbitrary chart based on my opinion of WDW's quality and value over the decades. It's not based on real data. You might very well have a different opinion.

WDW Historical Grade.jpg

WDW was by no means perfect when it opened in 1971. The Magic Kingdom was a work in progress but still managed to blow the competition out of the water (only Disneyland was better) with an unflinching commitment to making its Guests happy.

Things only got better from there, with classic attractions such as Pirates of the Caribbean (POTC) and Space Mountain (SM) opening in the mid-1970s, River Country in 1976, followed by Big Thunder Mountain (BTM) in 1980.

WDW peaked with the opening of Epcot in 1982. Quality remained outstanding while total ticket price decreased. Previously, admission and attraction tickets were sold separately. Concerned about using that pricing scheme at Epcot, Disney leadership created a combined ticket, discontinuing attraction booklets. I recall many being upset about it but as someone who simply wanted to ride attractions all day long, the new tickets were perfect!

That perfection continued for a few years until Michael Eisner became CEO. One of his earliest actions was to increase ticket prices by double-digits. Those upset with the 1982 ticket change were furious with Eisner's massive increases, which continued from 1984 to 1988.

Attitudes greatly improved with the opening of Disney-MGM Studios and Typhoon Lagoon (TL) in 1989. Disney-MGM Studios got off to a rough start; there simply wasn't much to do. However, by the end of the year with the opening of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours, Disney-MGM Studios finally felt like a theme park worthy of the Disney name. Typhoon Lagoon was amazing, unlike any other water park in the World. It made the quaint River Country seem amateurish. By 1990, the anger resulting from the price increases had been largely forgotten. With 3 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping district, and a nightclub district, WDW finally felt worthy of a week's vacation.

By the early 1990s, the wood was starting to rot beneath the glittering façade. Disney’s Strategic Planning unit began to micromanage theme park decisions. Gone was the uncompromising commitment to excellence, superseded by a cost-benefit-analysis of every aspect of the resort. Year-by-year, quality slipped, replaced by a "good enough" attitude. Many devoted frontline Cast Members remained but senior management was forced out, supplanted by those "sharp-pencil guys" Walt Disney had warned about decades before. Externally, all was well. Internally, Disney’s Old Guard was fading, never to return.

Still, the 1990s experienced many exciting additions. Splash Mountain (SM) opened in 1992. Arguably WDW's best attraction, Tower of Terror (TOT), opened in 1994, followed by Blizzard Beach (BB) in 1995. To the casual Guest, it was a glorious decade.

Perhaps WDW's last gasp of true greatness occurred with the opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom (DAK) in 1998. It should have been WDW's high-water mark. Instead, DAK opened with too few attractions and struggled with an image problem. (Remember the 2001 "Nahtazu" campaign?) Hardcore Disney fans were disappointed.

The slow decay continued as Eisner was under increasing pressure by Wall Street to improve margin, yet WDW still was an excellent resort, still the best in the World.

The vacation industry took a nosedive after those horrific events of September 11. WDW was not immune. Projects were cancelled, hotels were shuttered, Cast Members were laid off. Operating expenses were slashed and, for many, declining quality became visible for the first time.

After the initial shock, Disney took steps to correct its downturn in business, primarily through deep discounts such as the "Buy Four, Get Three Free" campaign. WDW's affordability improved even as the economy struggled.

WDW experienced another uptick with the introduction of the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket in 2005 and the opening of Expedition Everest (EE) in 2006. Using an a la cart pricing scheme, the MYW ticket improved WDW's affordability for those seeking an entry-level theme park experience, while EE represented WDW's last great attraction to date.

The late 2000s arguably represent WDW's low point. Even though Strategic Planning had closed shop in 2005, budget cuts continued as corporate Disney increasingly nickel-and-dimed its Guests. Worse, for the first time in its history, capital expenditures were not keeping up with depreciation. The parks were aging yet Disney was deferring basic maintenance. It showed, with each year getting a bit worse than the year before.

Opened in 2012, the New Fantasyland (NFL) represented a change in direction, expanding WDW's most popular land in the World's most popular theme park. Yet ultimately it added only 2 attractions, replacing 2 that had closed. It was a small improvement but with much unrealized potential. NFL could have been so much more. NFL should have been more.

WDW held steady in the years following the opening of NFL. There were several modest improvements yet also more cost cutting and price increases, largely cancelling each other out. The net effect was a WDW no longer in decline, but not yet on the mend.

With the addition of Pandora, 2017 was a step upward. The entire land is well-themed and some consider Flight of Passage to be one of WDW's best attractions. Na'vi River Journey is immersive even if it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. The Satu'li Canteen offers bold (for a theme park) food selections.

Sadly, Toy Story Land (TSL) was not enough to continue this upward trend in 2018.

2018 saw some of WDW's biggest price increases in years. Rack rate for a Standard room at All Star Sports was up 8.0%. The popular 4-day base ticket was up 8.5%. Annual Passholders got nailed with a 9% increase! Plus Disney started double-dipping by (for the first time) charging for hotel parking, something that previously was included in the room price for WDW's first 46 years!

One of my bellwethers is the water parks' Sand Pail. I was disappointed to report a large increase to $13.99 last year. This year, they avoided a price increase and, instead, dropped volume from 36 to 24 oz while still charging the same amount:

Sand Pail.JPG

Added together, 2018 became a horrendous year for those shopping for a (relatively) inexpensive WDW vacation.

Meanwhile, theme park attendance continued to climb, meaning Guests were waiting in longer lines even as they paid more. TSL had to deliver a lot to justify these increases. Sadly, it missed the mark by a wide margin.

In some ways, TSL is exactly what WDW did not need: an overhyped, modestly themed land with 2 low-capacity kiddie attractions in a theme park where multiple high-capacity attractions were permanently closed.

Let's recall how we got here. The Great Movie Ride closed. The Backlot Tour closed. Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground closed. Perhaps worst of all, the crowd pleasing (and mega capacity) Osborne Festival of Dancing Lights is gone. (And, on a personal note, one of my favorites, Starring Rolls closed.) Combined, these nearly returned DHS to its dire state after its May 1989 opening. At that time, many WDW fans were furious with what they (justifiably) felt was a ripoff of a theme park ticket. DHS will improve once Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway open but, for 2018, TSL may have made DHS even worse by attracting crowds that far exceed its two attractions' limited capacity.

Don't get me wrong; TSL is nice. Some dislike it but theming is consistent with the existing Toy Story Mania. Slinky Dog Dash (SDD) is a fun little coaster. Yet Alien Swirling Saucers and Woody's Lunch Box are disappointing. All three are vastly inferior to their counterparts at Pandora.

And throughout my visits this year, I saw sights like this far too often:

Garbage Can.jpg

Higher than normal price increases. Increased crowds. Insufficient added capacity. A new land inferior to last year's Pandora. For these reasons and others, WDW took a step backwards in 2018.
You hit the nail right on the head I could not have stated it any better. As for the trash cans saw the same thing on my 2019 visit more than once something I never saw in the 70,80 into the 90's

LovePop

How WDW is better in the past, in no particular order:

1. Toon town. I remember how impressed I was to see Mickey and Minnie's houses for the first time. Now it's just a ridiculous mess that sprays water all over the place and nobody plays there.
2. It's a Small World. Used to be ingenious and impressive until they remodeled it to look like a daycare center.
3. Soaring California lost.
4. Wishes (fireworks at MK) lost.
5. Illuminations (fireworks at Epcot) lost. They used to set that whole ball on fire, and you can feel the heat standing by the shore.
6. Ellen's Energy ride lost.
7. Piggy Bank ride (my son's favorite), and everything else in Innoventions lost.
8. Spaceship Earth original descent display of technology advancement, before they changed it to a ridiculous computer screen thing
9. Maelstrom. That was so upsetting to see Disney remove that!
10. Yorkshire County Fish Shop. Used to serve wonderful catfish, now they downgraded to tilapia, which is disgusting
11. Snow White's scary ride, and other rides they removed around the area behind the castle.
12. All the sandy beaches are fenced up so you can't get to the water
13. Buses to the waterparks are very long wait now.
14. Caribbean Beach Resort got one third of its rooms bulldozed to make room for Riviera. The remaining rooms now cost a ton more. They also bulldozed the original beautiful, ethnic food court. The current thing is generic.
15. The original ticket fastpass. It worked much better than fastpass+, and it was great fun going all over the parks, looking for fastpass tickets. It was like an exciting game, and the tickets were a tangible reward.
16. Splash Mountain is going get turned into Princess and the Frog.
17. Paid fastpasses coming to replace free ones
18. Honey I shrunk the Kids playground.
19. Tie Die Cheesecake at Pop Century
20. The volcano waterslide at Polynesian Resort. They changed it to an eyesore.
21. The park is increasingly adulterated with non-Disney things such as Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Just because Disney buys something doesn't make it Disney. Otherwise, what if Disney buys Universal? Does that make it a Disney park? But that's the direction it's going. Eventually, we'll see Garfield, Pokemon, Optimus Prime, Peter Griffin, Pickle Rick, Doraemon, SpongeBob, Curious George, Peter Rabbit, and everything else one can think of, in WDW.

Some good things have also happened:

1. The magic band.
2. The Skyliner.
3. Mobile order of food, especially from sitdown restaurants, so you can get food there even without a reservation.
4. Haunted Mansion's line is better with the graveyard area.
5. There is a beautiful walking path from the Grand Floridian to MK.
6. Pop Century and Art of Animation Resorts
7. Contactless bag check
8. Halloween and Christmas parties
9. The playground at Dumbo

MickeyCB

I pretty much can't remember breakfast yesterday, but I can remember the awe I felt when we were at MK in my late teens and 20's. Even as a self absorbed teen and young adult I can remember all of the immaculate topiaries that greeted you. The insanely clean curbs and walkways.
I remember the staff telling us how no maintenance was done during the day but at night and I remember trying to picture all of that activity going on in the park at night time.
And then as I got older being a little bewildered by the basic changes in park maintenance. Seeing paper lying around or things a little dirty.
And it was interesting because I couldn't honestly tell you a single ride I was on (except for the submarine), so the somewhat negative feeling is not because of the lack of new "stuff", but the decrease in park management.
I have always said that anytime you go into a simple restaurant or a hotel and everything is clean, staff polite, etc. that it is a reflection of good management, and conversely if it is not, don't bother complaining because it will definitely be a top down attitude that got it there.

TinkerBelle8878

I think that WDW was better years ago and it can be boiled down to a few issues.

In the parks it mostly is an issue of out with the old, well themed, fully realized rides and attractions and replacing them (if we're lucky) with either sub par reimaginings (Epcot: Imagination, World of Motion/Test Track), outright bad replacements like getting rid of Great Movie Ride instead of having both that and Runaway Railroad as attractions, things like Little Mermaid and the Aladdin flying carpets which just seem to not do these characters justice given how long it was to even get them into the parks , and no longer really making rides that have much capacity (I think the only ones that come to mind from years ago that had these issues were 20000 Leagues and the raceway). There's just no creativity or imagination. It seems like how can we shove more random characters into parks that doesn't really make sense that they belong in. Guardians for example. How does that fit into EPCOT? Put it in DHS and call it a day. And what we just don't know what to do with, we make into a banquet hall area/convention center or whatever Wonders of Life became.

The resorts I think they made too many of them and then turned half of many of those into DVC. Quality's gone down in both the parks and the hotels and restaurants. The DDP is probably to blame for the food quality. And the merchandise used to be so special and specific to certain rides, parks, etc. Now its just if you miss it in one store, you'll find it in the next 10.

I think honestly it may all come down to who's in charge and what exactly they're looking to do. For whatever bad Eisner was responsible for, he did an awful lot of good. Iger just kept buying up companies and it seems used the parks to bankroll it. I don't know what this new regime is doing but I hope the current uproar reverses the new pay per ride 'upgrade'. If that's any indication the old joke of preplanning and fastpassing bathroom breaks might turn to pay toilets.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When I was there in 2019 there were a couple of negative points that really stood out to me

1. Attraction maintenance is awful compared to Disneyland's. So many things were broken or not working properly.
2. The staff was very hit or miss, but too much miss for my comfort. CMs were mean and clearly didn't want to be there. I imagine it's because they're bleeding from Disney management but still.

Other than that, I don't recall my first visit back when I was a teenager. There were a lot of positives of course this last trip, those were just my main negative takeaways.

Vegas Disney Fan

I voted other because I think the parks are as good (MK) or better (Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom) than they were when I started going a little over a decade ago and Epcot should be better in a few years after the overhaul is done… policies are worse in almost every way though.

Despite all the changes when we went last November we loved every minute of our trip, even wearing uncomfortable masks didn’t take away from our fun.

Karakasa

In some ways, yes, in other ways, no.

There are definite improvements in a lot of areas. Galaxy's Edge is an amazing replacement for what was once in its place at DHS. Pandora is a fun little land to explore and FoP is an amazing ride. New Fantasyland is great, too.

On the other hand, you have things like Maelstrom being replaced with a half-hearted Frozen revamp, which while fun given what it is (a Disney ride), isn't as great as the previous tenant. MMRR is a decent replacement for what GMR had become, but isn't to the full potential of what GMR once was. Then of course there's wholly negative changes like the dilapidation and shutdown of Disney Quest and the nickel-and-diming that's been picking up speed throughout the 2010s.

Edit: Waxed poetic a bit, deleted. Point is, I like some things better as they were, like others better as they are now.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Impossible to answer. It's both. I mean - it depends on your criteria of "better".

Are the rides better? - yeah. Although there is a lot nostalgia for the likes of Toad, 20k, Horizons etc. But if you look at the recent ads, the ones that are on deck, the improvement in technology. Yeah I think the rides are better.

There is also an abundance of options from a resort standpoint. Yes, a lot were added in the early to mid-90's. But in the 80's you only really had the monorail resorts and FW. So if "better" equates to more options then it is better now.

All that being said, the experience was better IMO yesteryear. The bubble was better. The service was better. The quality was better. And the value was better. So if "better" equates to experience. It's yesteryear.

CntrlFlPete

The parks have changed as have the crowds visiting the parks, memories are tricky. I guess I've come and gone w/ my feelings around WDW. I went at least once a year from '71 until '86 -- then visits from time to time. Then 2005 through 2014 going multiple times each year for multiple nights. I saw drastic changes by taking those breaks.

After a few hours in the MK, I do not think I like the whole 'friends' thing. I was ok with being left out when someone would call my wife or my daughter a princess, it sort of felt occasional then -- but now, cast members just constantly calling me their friend -- I think they should dial that down a bit!

JIMINYCR

I'd say other... Some aspects made WDW better in the past years while some changes that have been made over the more recent time has improved my enjoyment.
On the past better side:
Definite better crowd levels. The parks werent so crammed full unless you went during those prime holiday weeks and summer peak times. You could go off season and it was truly an off season. Lines never were so outrageous that you had no hopes of getting on something in a reasonable time that you wanted to ride. People were not short tempered and angry towards others. The parks were cleaner, the rides better maintained. The CM's were more attentive to the guests and went out of their way to interact with a guest. There was more diverse merchandise around the parks. Now you find the same things being sold everywhere.
On the more recent years:
Better flowing through security with the scanners. Very little backing up guests extending the wait to get into the parks.
Some additional attractions that are more thrilling( although at the expense of some classics that are now gone).
Transportation screens alerting guest when bus arrivals are expected.
The added events and food kiosks.

WishIWasRetired

The best years for me were before the Fast Pass + started and having to micro manage the entire trip and what park you are going to on what day months in advance.

During that time If there were a really good deal on air fare we would be able to take a Thursday night flight out and stay until Monday and just wing it and have a great time. I could go on but I don't feel like getting worked up over some thing I cannot control.

Graham9

I think it must have been around the time Fastpass ticket system was replaced with the then-unreliable Fastpass+ system and restaurant booking had to be done online weeks in advance, as opposed to making your reservation on the day, taking away both the element of spontaneity and forcing people to regiment their trip to specific dates and times.

Technology has bought a lot of enhancements to the WDW experience, but it has also taken a lot away. The upcoming Genie+ is a prime example where tech is degrading the experience as opposed to enhancing it. And I fear it's only going to get worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom