Warning: Open Bar=Unplanned Disney Trip!

miles1

So we attended a benefit dinner-dance/silent auction last Friday to benefit our DS and DD's school. These functions raise money for charity by lubricating attendees with a full dinner and open bar, then allowing them to offer silent bids on items they would never ordinarily buy, such as six foot plasma TV's, atomic-powered gas grills, and 32 karat diamond necklaces. (Did I mention the open bar?)

Anyway, one of the items up for bid was a week at a coporate-owned four bedroom luxury vacation home situated within a few miles of WDW (I still have no idea where). The house is owned by the company of one of the parents in the school; they use it for their own vacations and as a bonus for employee performance. Apparently, while the men at our table were making a trip to the bar, the wives decided that they would put in a bid as a group for the house and share it for a week next year, ALL 12 OF US, and of course we won it for a very reasonable price.

My questions are as follows;

1. Has anyone ever done WDW with a group like this before? Was it as enjoyable as going by yourself?

2. When should we go? We have the option of going any time next year that school is out, except for immediately around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our last few trips have always been in August & September for cost/crowd considerations. Are the crowds really miserable from May to August, or can they be managed with some forethought?

Thanks for your input.

Preacher Gravy

So we attended a benefit dinner-dance/silent auction last Friday to benefit our DS and DD's school. These functions raise money for charity by lubricating attendees with a full dinner and open bar, then allowing them to offer silent bids on items they would never ordinarily buy, such as six foot plasma TV's, atomic-powered gas grills, and 32 karat diamond necklaces. (Did I mention the open bar?)

Anyway, one of the items up for bid was a week at a coporate-owned four bedroom luxury vacation home situated within a few miles of WDW (I still have no idea where). The house is owned by the company of one of the parents in the school; they use it for their own vacations and as a bonus for employee performance. Apparently, while the men at our table were making a trip to the bar, the wives decided that they would put in a bid as a group for the house and share it for a week next year, ALL 12 OF US, and of course we won it for a very reasonable price.

My questions are as follows;

1. Has anyone ever done WDW with a group like this before? Was it as enjoyable as going by yourself?

2. When should we go? We have the option of going any time next year that school is out, except for immediately around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our last few trips have always been in August & September for cost/crowd considerations. Are the crowds really miserable from May to August, or can they be managed with some forethought?

Thanks for your input.

1. While having never gone to Disney, my family is a regular at vacationing in large groups (there are 25 of us going to Vegas this Thanksgiving). Just a few thoughts on group travel:

--Remember that just because you are staying together as a large group doesnt mean you all have to do the exact same thing all the time, set up times in the day for the group to meet (lunch, dinner, fireworks, shows, etc) and spend those times together.

--If everyone wants to go one place (such as POTC or Fantasmic) that is fine, but don't think you can all ride together ( I am assuming that at rides saying you have 12 in your group could be a problem, but I could be wrong)

--Remember that everyone in your group is different, and don't think that just because they don't do things exactly your way they are wrong

--Also remember that you will get frustrated with each other, take some time, do your own thing with your own family, and meet back up. (sense a theme here?)

2. I don't know about time of year since I have never been, but am going next October, I would assume with a large group I would try and go in an off time so that if you want to stay together it is easier

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

That is very cool! I'd suggest not spending all of your time together. Don't be afraid to split into groups, then meet up later for fireworks or meals.

The later in August you can go, the better the crowds will most likely be.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

The crowds in May are not bad, June it starts to pick up a bit and while July is crowded, it's more hot than anything else. August tends to start slowing down, but you will be there with all the other people from NY because the kids don't start back to school until later. And, whatever the date in August that the blackout ends for the FL seasonal pass folks, stay out of MK that day.

Upvote 0

mickey&me

Wow! Ummm--that'll be interesting. Having traveled in large groups to vacation spots before, I can give you a few pointers toward an enjoyable trip.

1. Plan to do a few things together as a group--for instance, seeing a show (like Cirque), eating a nice dinner, watching the fireworks from a park (check out a fireworks cruise), etc.

2. Plan to do most things in smaller groups, like say no more than four; then alternate whom you're grouping up with at different time.

3. Plan to do some thing by yourselves; nothing is more irritating than always having someone else around, no matter who that person is.

4. Plan! Don't try to let everything be spontaneous. You'll end up spending way too much time saying, "What do you want to do?" "I don't know. What do you want to do?"

Trust me, when handled properly, this can be one of the most enjoyable vacations you've ever had.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

How long have you got the house for ?

I'd be inclined to go in the summer to get the most out of the weather - you're going to hit crowds when going while the schools are out

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Hey, Congrats!! :wave: The one I suggest is basiclly what some have already mentioned. But you might want to check into a Grand Gathering, they offer things to the group that smaller groups don't get the chance to have. The one thing that I can say is tell everyone do what you want but at least have everyone together for your meals. That way you can eat and talk about what you did and that maybe you should all try it. As for a time, well that depends on what everyone has as time to do it goes.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm going to comment about the fundraiser. ;)

The Day School my children attended has a yearly fundraiser, and had done so for years. (I was a parent at the school for a total of 16 years) A few years ago, a small but very vocal group of parents decided that having an adults only dinner (it was usually a catered dinner held at someone's "mansion") with adult bevearges was not setting a good example, so they opted to hold a family night at the zoo instead. There was an significant dip in adult attendance, and money raised by the auction. (I was once part of a group of 10 bidding on a private party on Wayne Weaver's (Jaguars) Yacht)

They went back to an open bar/adults only format. :lol:

As to the house. Is this an all adult group, or will there be children along? You might want to see about a day completely away from the parks, where everyone can break into interest groups. you could have one group golfing, another shopping (lunch, shopping, gallery browsing,and a boat ride at Winter Park makes a nice day trip) Another group could go to a water park, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with the break into smaller groups and meet up later for dinner plan. You might also want to decide, BEFORE you arrive, how many meals you will be eating at home, what you will eat, and how you will divide the cost. There's nothing worse than haggling over who ate the most, or ate the most expensive foods. I remember sharing a beach house with 11 other people, some with children, some without, and the "They're only children, so shouldn't have to pay as much for food." "We only had one glass of wine, you had two, so we shouldn't have to share equally" "we don't eat very much, so shouldn't have to share equally in the food."

You should also draw straws to decide who gets the master bedroom with attached jacuzzi tub bath, and who gets the room with twin beds and bath down the hall, next to the TV room.

Upvote 0

scpergj

The Day School my children attended has a yearly fundraiser, and had done so for years. (I was a parent at the school for a total of 16 years) A few years ago, a small but very vocal group of parents decided that having an adults only dinner (it was usually a catered dinner held at someone's "mansion") with adult bevearges was not setting a good example, so they opted to hold a family night at the zoo instead. There was an significant dip in adult attendance, and money raised by the auction. (I was once part of a group of 10 bidding on a private party on Wayne Weaver's (Jaguars) Yacht)

Hey The Mom!

I didn't know you were in the Jax area? Might I ask which of the schools this was...I bet it was one with a big swimming tradition!!:D

I've lived in the Orange Park area for 30 years...moving to Middleburg two years ago. My brother lives right down the street from one of the young Jags...a party on the Weaver's yacht is cool!!

Kevin

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Hey The Mom!

I didn't know you were in the Jax area? Might I ask which of the schools this was...I bet it was one with a big swimming tradition!!:D

I've lived in the Orange Park area for 30 years...moving to Middleburg two years ago. My brother lives right down the street from one of the young Jags...a party on the Weaver's yacht is cool!!

Kevin

No, not THAT school (although both children were accepted there). :ROFLOL: : It's ONLY for the younger crowd, but their MS/HS is on a river, rather than a lake. ;)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We go every February with a group of 10 or more, consisting of cousins and in-laws and friends, and we have a blast. We rent a big house and take turns cooking (everone plans one specail meal), and we do a lot of other parks besides WDW. If you have the option to go in early May, I'd recommend that - the weather is gorgeous.

To avoid money hassles, I'd suggest that you pool some money ahead of time for necessities (paper products, coffee, etc), and make a list of what snacks and drinks you all would want, so no one resents anyone after for eating "their" food.

Upvote 0

Montyboy

Funny.
I guess there is some value in showing the kids how money is raised by having a family night at the zoo, but you are only setting a bad example if you BRING the kids to the adults only event.

Vocal minorites do a great job on our school board and with functions, but every once in a while, a good intentioned idea comes up and the silent majority needs to show up at the school board meeting... and put a stop to it.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We went August 3-12th (Thanks PAM!) with my oldest daughter's girl scout troop, siblings, parents, exspouses, new spouses, step-siblings and a neighbor's rabid dog* (*just kidding, but seriously we were about the most diverse group you could imagine..some included people who had never left the state of Illinois, never stay in a hotel, never flew in a plane etc). We did one sit down meal each day (again, Thanks PAM!), sometimes we stayed in a big group and let the kids all sit together whenever possible (Soarin, TT, etc). One day we all did St. Louis Cardinals day and got lots of comments about that. Remember, take time for yourselves, don't think you have to see it all and do it all with everyone together (because that won't happen). Plan ahead, know what everyone wants to do. I only made one girl cry on the trip... I set firm rules and no amount of "but my mom would let me..." would make me change my mind, she survived and everyone had a great time!
By the way when we went in August, it was cooler at WDW than it was at home.

Upvote 0

miles1

Original Poster
miles1...I just wanted to say congrats on the 3 months smoke free!!! Good going! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thanks. Today was a rough day, your encouragement helped. Yes, even after three months I still want one of those darn things!

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Going with groups isn't necessarily fun. Especially after you've been a few times yourself and are settled into your own routines. Also sharing living quarters with other people can be a pain sometimes. My advice would be to not have any expectations. Make sure each party in your group has their own vehicle so you can split up during the day. If you MUST stick together as a group in the parks, try and get everyone to agree on a specific itinerary way ahead of time. That way you're getting all the bickering out of the way before you leave. Good luck!

Upvote 0

mickey&me

Going with groups isn't necessarily fun. Especially after you've been a few times yourself and are settled into your own routines. Also sharing living quarters with other people can be a pain sometimes. My advice would be to not have any expectations. Make sure each party in your group has their own vehicle so you can split up during the day. If you MUST stick together as a group in the parks, try and get everyone to agree on a specific itinerary way ahead of time. That way you're getting all the bickering out of the way before you leave. Good luck!

Gotta disagree with the statement abt. not having any expectations. That's no way to have fun on a vacation. The way you speak, the only way to have fun is to go completely alone, by yourself, without anyone else, and to pretend that you hatched from an egg and only arrived on the planet today (yes, I know that's overkill, but that was the point). If you are flexible and prepared, I reiterate that this can be one of the most enjoyable trips you've ever had.

Anyway, have a great time on the "unplanned" trip!

Upvote 0

PJLukasik

1. While having never gone to Disney, my family is a regular at vacationing in large groups (there are 25 of us going to Vegas this Thanksgiving). Just a few thoughts on group travel:

--Remember that just because you are staying together as a large group doesn't mean you all have to do the exact same thing all the time, set up times in the day for the group to meet (lunch, dinner, fireworks, shows, etc) and spend those times together.

--If everyone wants to go one place (such as POTC or Fantasmic) that is fine, but don't think you can all ride together ( I am assuming that at rides saying you have 12 in your group could be a problem, but I could be wrong)

--Remember that everyone in your group is different, and don't think that just because they don't do things exactly your way they are wrong

--Also remember that you will get frustrated with each other, take some time, do your own thing with your own family, and meet back up. (sense a theme here?)

2. I don't know about time of year since I have never been, but am going next October, I would assume with a large group I would try and go in an off time so that if you want to stay together it is easier

Enjoy your trip!

As someone who has made regular trips to WDW of around 15 people, I definitely would echo all of these sentiments. Often we will go to the parks as a group, make dinner plans and then split up to reconvene at dinner time. My family group also usually has enough diversity of interest that if we decide to go through a park as a group, if people decide to do a ride, there's enough people who don't ride, that it's not terrible for them to wait and shop, etc.

Hope this Helps! Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom