Wand Lovers

kadesha

i really like the wand. It will look plain and boring again without it. They should have at least kept "Epcot" and the stars.

Sir_Cliff

I think too many threads have been devoted to people who LOVE the wand, and people who HATE the wand... Truthfully, I would be willing to bet that 95% of the people in this world are rather ambivilent.
I think that's pretty much it. People can post about hearing guests say how much they hate or love it, but at the end of the day I'm sure most guests don't really give it a second thought; it's just there. That, IMO, does not mean they should leave it there, though, as you could say similar things about many of the details that together make Disney parks what they are.

Yanks07

There's a Wand on Space Ship Earth! :eek: Never noticed. :D Once it's gone, I won't really care, I`m on vacation in WDW! :sohappy:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Lets face it the geosphere is boring to look at. I have been going to Disney for a long time. I've been to epcot with and without the wand. The wand hating thing comes from all the Epcot "nerds" that hate change. Dont miss undersatnd me I'm no trying to be mean. I am "nerd" myself. There is nothing more that I love then hiting the turnstyles at Epcot and hearing that futuristic music then heading straight for my most favorite ride of all time SSE. I dont mind the wand, it adds a little spice to the geosphere which frankly by itself is dull.

Um...no...maybe they should also change Mickey Mouse into a gay icon because it would add a little "spice" to the charecter.

The wand was a dumb mistake lets all get over it.

AEfx

What the OP said is actually true.

I have experienced the same thing in telling non-Disney Fan folk about it. The reaction has universally been, "Gee, I thought it was kind of neat. Why are they taking it down?" to which I explain how the gaudy crass structure ruins one of the greatest, if not the greatest, architectural achievement in any Disney park. They then get it...but still look a little confused lol.

So yeah, I'm sure Guest Relations will be hearing about this one with people who are just sick to death that it's going away/will be gone. That doesn't change the fact that it is a good decision (actually speaks more to the fact that it was left up too long than anything else), but there are going to be a lot of "average" guests who are put off by this.

AEfx

Enigma

Account Suspended
I think too many threads have been devoted to people who LOVE the wand, and people who HATE the wand... Truthfully, I would be willing to bet that 95% of the people in this world are rather ambivilent. Sure, it looks neat up there, but if they come back and its gone, no one is going to throw fits. Me personally? It never ruined my vacation...

While this is true I do know a good number of people who thought the wand looked dumb and ruined the look of the enterance but it didn't ruin their vacations or anything like that.

wickedfan07

i really like the wand. It will look plain and boring again without it. They should have at least kept "Epcot" and the stars.

The arm and wand cover up the structure that holds the "Epcot" sign up. If they were to remove the wand and arm but keep the "Epcot", a lot of unattractive steel would be visible. It's kind of an all or nothing sort of thing.

To all the people who have said, "SEE will be boring and plain without the wand.": Remember, the geosphere stood undecorated for about 17 years (1982-1999) before the wand and "2000" went up. And, guess what? No one complained. Why is this any different?

EDIT: Sorry to take over the Wand Lover thread with my post. I forgot what thread I was in.

Laura

Premium Member
I think too many threads have been devoted to people who LOVE the wand, and people who HATE the wand... Truthfully, I would be willing to bet that 95% of the people in this world are rather ambivilent. Sure, it looks neat up there, but if they come back and its gone, no one is going to throw fits. Me personally? It never ruined my vacation...

That would be me. :wave:

I don't give a flying flip one way or the other and don't even feel that it's worth talking about and I hate myself for participating in this thread at all. :lookaroun

Dragonrider1227

Eh, some people love to hate. Some people cant be happy without misery. And some people like to think that through the internet, they can play their own epic version of Rollercoaster Tycoon by criticizing ever move Disney makes. They'll never be happy because the parks were never quite the way they remember them, because they never were.

As for the wand, eh? who cares.
You're right. We on the internet like to refer to these people as "Trolls" XD
"I hate it when there's nothing to complain about. BOO! HISS! CLOSE THIS DUMP DOWN!!"

As for the wand, I won't mind it being removed, but I saw a photoshop image of SSE without it but still with the stars and thought THAT looked pretty cool!

Foolish1

I have an idea. As a test, how many people would put some sort of sign over The Tree Of Life all lit up? That would be pretty neat, no? How about a big sign over Cinderella's Castle? Kind of neat, no?

You know, I do not like "the wand", but I have to admit, seeing SSE sans-wand will seem a little boring. And no, leaving the stars on is not a good compromise, at least to me.:eek:

I guess what it boils down to is, if you are a Disney purist, you like things to be pure. So making something flashy, just to be flashy, doesn't really accomplish anything. SSE was so cool when I first saw it back in 1983. "How on Earth did they accomplish that??" "And we can ride through it??" Or is it a matter of too many people forget which park they are in? If so, then I think Cinderella's Castle definitely needs a huge neon sign on top flashing that says "Magic Kingdom". Would that be neat for all of the photos people take of the fireworks at night.

Well, again, I have to admit, it will seem a bit plain without "the wand", but "the wand" never really belonged. Just didn't fit. It was "out of character".
That's what I think most of us who don't like the wand think. It's just plain "out of character".

EPCOT_Man

I have an idea. As a test, how many people would put some sort of sign over The Tree Of Life all lit up? That would be pretty neat, no? How about a big sign over Cinderella's Castle? Kind of neat, no?

You know, I do not like "the wand", but I have to admit, seeing SSE sans-wand will seem a little boring. And no, leaving the stars on is not a good compromise, at least to me.:eek:

I guess what it boils down to is, if you are a Disney purist, you like things to be pure. So making something flashy, just to be flashy, doesn't really accomplish anything. SSE was so cool when I first saw it back in 1983. "How on Earth did they accomplish that??" "And we can ride through it??" Or is it a matter of too many people forget which park they are in? If so, then I think Cinderella's Castle definitely needs a huge neon sign on top flashing that says "Magic Kingdom". Would that be neat for all of the photos people take of the fireworks at night.

Well, again, I have to admit, it will seem a bit plain without "the wand", but "the wand" never really belonged. Just didn't fit. It was "out of character".
That's what I think most of us who don't like the wand think. It's just plain "out of character".

Well said. I also agree with the fact that 95% just don't care about the wand. Personally, I hate the wand for the artistic look and the placement.

donaldfan

Eh, some people love to hate. Some people cant be happy without misery. And some people like to think that through the internet, they can play their own epic version of Rollercoaster Tycoon by criticizing ever move Disney makes. They'll never be happy because the parks were never quite the way they remember them, because they never were.

As for the wand, eh? who cares.

Wow - I'm not happy because I don't think the wand fits Epcot's theme? I didn't realize I wasn't happy because I had an opinion about something. Thanks for clearing everything up for me! :wave:

cb3k

I must say that initially I liked the wand..after reading the complaints and seeing the original SSE I became one of those who really wanted it gone..it looks so simple and "clean" without the decor. That being said I am not opposed to future TEMPORARY overlays.

Disney4648

I personally loved the wand, SSE looks plain without it. However, I am sure there are other visible ways of making SSE look more attractive if need be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom