Wand finally coming down?

I hate the wand and would love to see it come down, but this link to me shows no evidence of them wanting to take the wand down. Its just someone messing with photoshop.

Thurp

Original Poster
They key here is who is writing this. These people seem to have contacts within the company. I don't think they'd be saying that if they didn't have some credible evidence which is what made it newsworthy in my opinion.

fizzle75

I wouldnt read much into that.

The fact is, the wand gives Epcot much needed identity to being a Disney park. It's hard to understand for fans, but lots of people did not know that Epcot was a Disney park, or even part of WDW. The wand makes a very big statement underlining Epcot is infact a Disney park.

I like the wand. I think its colourful, bold, fun and brings a quirk to the Epcot sphere.

I agree totally! Granted,I am a WDW newbie so all I have known is the geosphere with the wand but based on video and pictures I have seen of it without the wand I definitely like the wand better. I think it adds alot and in no way takes away from the beauty of the geosphere.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They key here is who is writing this. These people seem to have contacts within the company. I don't think they'd be saying that if they didn't have some credible evidence which is what made it newsworthy in my opinion.

Who exactly are you talking about? :confused:

Who is saying what ? All I saw was a Photoshopped picture.

Newsworthy? A Stephen Sondheim verse? :rolleyes:

Thurp

Original Poster
Check out the rest of the blog. It's a well known blog by Pixar (and supposedly Disney) employees.

unkadug

Check out the rest of the blog. It's a well known blog by Pixar (and supposedly Disney) employees.

Keyword

-------

Don't forget about their non-disclosure clauses.

Anyway, a photoshopped picture is just that. Maybe wishful thinking on one man's part.

I doubt that blowing up the wand would be WDI's way of removal of said structure.

IT'S A JOKE !!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The whole Millennium makeover of the area around Spaceship Earth was done by the legendary John Hench, who was the original chief designer of Spaceship Earth. Although he is no longer with us, there were clearly some very influential and knowledgable people who were behind the redevelopment of that area.

For me, the wand has served as a focal point for people to target their disapproval of everything that WDI does to change things. It's very rare to see anyone actually have a good reason supporting the dislike of the wand. It tends to just be random, "take down the wand!".

I'm actual a fan of the wand structure. I much preferred the 2000 edition, as I am not keen on the current Epcot type face being used. However, overall, I think its a positive thing in re-inforcing the Disney connection. For me, it's also a very impressive engineering structure, and very creative.

Thurp

Original Poster
I really don't want to start any arguments. But. keyword

If anyone has good contacts, it's them. Read their blog, not a single of their posts is about rumors of things coming. Everything has been fact. Why would they suddenly jump on an unsubstantiated humor and ruin their excellent reputation? It's a fantastic blog that should be required reading for anyone who loves Disney parks (whether you agree with a lot of what they have to say or not.)

NASAMan

Some of you dear readers may be unfamiliar with the blog Re-Imagineering. Let me assure you it is very much on the level. If you read the post immediately following the Wand photoshop, you'll get a brief history of its origins. And by all means, keep reading, for there are some fascinating posts on history, development, and opinion by people who really love Disney and only want to see it at its best. But as a blog, and as anything else you may find on the web, you should accept nothing without independant verification. So the best this particular post is is a rumor from a very credible source. But still rumor.

My problem with the wand is the very nature of the branding that it implies. Fantasia Mickey's arm holding a magic wand is not what we should associate with a park that showcases technology and world culture. I am a teacher of science - I love the fantasy and magic that Disney brings, but they too saw the danger of 'crossing the line' by naming their nature films 'True Life Adventures'. Characters in the park? No problem as appropriate - Belle and Beast in France, Mary poppins and Pooh in England, etc. But the wand at the front, while branding Epcot as a Disney park, completely detracts from its True Life Adventure. Why should we trust anything we see, from the environmental themes of The Land to the history of Amercian Adventures, if the mantle of 'fantasy' is cloaked around it? It would be just as appropriate to erect the wand over the Tree of Like at DAK.

But an asset is an asset. Don't blow it up, but remove it carefully, replace 'Epcot' with 'Disney', and re-erect it over the globe of Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney, where it would be seen be travelers passing by on I-4. Oh, and the giant sorcerer hat would look great in the court outside the Disney Store there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My problem with the wand is the very nature of the branding that it implies. Fantasia Mickey's arm holding a magic wand is not what we should associate with a park that showcases technology and world culture. I am a teacher of science - I love the fantasy and magic that Disney brings, but they too saw the danger of 'crossing the line' by naming their nature films 'True Life Adventures'. Characters in the park? No problem as appropriate - Belle and Beast in France, Mary poppins and Pooh in England, etc. But the wand at the front, while branding Epcot as a Disney park, completely detracts from its True Life Adventure. Why should we trust anything we see, from the environmental themes of The Land to the history of Amercian Adventures, if the mantle of 'fantasy' is cloaked around it? It would be just as appropriate to erect the wand over the Tree of Like at DAK.

The wand is appropriate because like it or not, Epcot IS a Disney park. Ultimately, without Mickey Mouse, Epcot would not be there. Why shouldnt there be some recognition that Epcot was born out of Disney? For me, Disney doesnt neccesarily mean fantasy. They have shown through Epcot and Animal Kingdom that they can be serious, and trusted as a source of scientific information.

I think we have to remember that Epcot has to appeal to the wider audience for it to survive. If that means adding some Disney feel to the place, I dont see a problem.

sbkline

I know I'm taking the risk of being tarred and feathered or chased out of these forums but...

...I kinda like the wand. :eek:

unkadug

I really don't want to start any arguments. But. keyword

If anyone has good contacts, it's them. Read their blog, not a single of their posts is about rumors of things coming. Everything has been fact. Why would they suddenly jump on an unsubstantiated humor and ruin their excellent reputation? It's a fantastic blog that should be required reading for anyone who loves Disney parks (whether you agree with a lot of what they have to say or not.)

I am reading their blog as we speak, and I agree it is a very well written and informative site.

I still say that this is humor. Nowhere on that page does it say that this is something about to happen. The only written word pertaining to the picture are song lyrics!

I think you are trying to read too much into this. :wave:

dxwwf3

Well I can give a few reasons why I don't like the wand:

1. To me, it looks cheap and tacky. The font used for the "Epcot" looks like it took a vacation in the 1970's and never left.

2. Spaceship Earth just flat out looks better without it.

3. And it does feel out of place in Future World. It worked just fine for the Millennium Celebration, but much like Reflections of Earth, has aged ungracefully for me and I'm ready for both to go.

Now, just because I hate the wand doesn't mean that I hate the hat at MGM. Sure I wish that we could have a clear view of the Chinese Theater again, but the hat fits perfectly in the park and looks wonderful at night.

I don't hate the wand because it wasn't in the park during the 80's or because of some greater idea for the park. I just think it cheapens the park and looks tacky.

NASAMan

The wand is appropriate because like it or not, Epcot IS a Disney park. Ultimately, without Mickey Mouse, Epcot would not be there. Why shouldnt there be some recognition that Epcot was born out of Disney?

I'll agree that having a Disney brand is appropriate, I just opine that the wand is the wrong brand.

For me, Disney doesnt neccesarily mean fantasy. They have shown through Epcot and Animal Kingdom that they can be serious, and trusted as a source of scientific information.

Again I agree, Disney is tops at communicating a story, whether fantastic or real. The Tree of Life is a great example of that, from the artistic animals in the tree itself to the science proffered by the 'bugs' below. Turtle Talk is another example of this technique of using fantasy to deliver the reality message. But I have been hard pressed to see how the giant wand fits in with any part of Epcots singular or corporate story.

I think we have to remember that Epcot has to appeal to the wider audience for it to survive. If that means adding some Disney feel to the place, I dont see a problem.

Yes, please! Use all Disney assets to promote the park, but in appropriate and meaningful ways. When Cinderella Castle was enveloped in plastic and turned into a giant anniversary cake, many objected because it detracted from the overall park experience. But know it was temporary made it bareable. I believe the Imagineers used this lesson as they planned the recent 'bling' to be installed for DL's 50th. Although there was some chat about the large 'Magic Mirror', I heard few complains about the gold characters and ornaments, with many being disappointed they were being removed. I'm sure the imagineers can develope an idea to give Epcot a Disney brand without compromising its character.

EpcotServo

Some of you dear readers may be unfamiliar with the blog Re-Imagineering. Let me assure you it is very much on the level. If you read the post immediately following the Wand photoshop, you'll get a brief history of its origins. And by all means, keep reading, for there are some fascinating posts on history, development, and opinion by people who really love Disney and only want to see it at its best. But as a blog, and as anything else you may find on the web, you should accept nothing without independant verification. So the best this particular post is is a rumor from a very credible source. But still rumor.

Well said! I think that Spaceship Earth is such a monument to Disney Imagineering that it should stand alone. I feel that the wand distracts from the meaning and purpose of Spaceship Earth.

goofyfan13

Well I can give a few reasons why I don't like the wand:

1. To me, it looks cheap and tacky. The fot used for the "Epcot" looks like it took a vacation in the 1970's and never left.

2. Spaceship Earth just flat out looks better without it.

3. And it does feel out of place in Future World. It worked just fine for the Millennium Celebration, but much like Reflections of Earth, has aged ungracefully for me and I'm ready for both to go.

Now, just because I hate the wand doesn't mean that I hate the hat at MGM. Sure I wish that we could have a clear view of the Chinese Theater again, but the hat fits perfectly in the park and looks wonderful at night.

I don't hate the wand because it wasn't in the park during the 80's or because of some greater idea for the park. I just think it cheapens the park and looks tacky.

My thoughts exactly. I liked the wand during the millennium celebration, but like the castle cake, and the giant mirror and gold trim on the castle, it should have come down after the celebration.

It's the exact same thing as if they left the gold trim and mirror up. Yea, it looked good, but it served its purpose. I'm sure if they left the gold trim up the exact same people who are saying the wand should stay would be saying down with the mirror! Leaving these things up takes away from the original structures, and we have had to suffer through it for the past 6 years with SSE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom