News Walter E. Disney overhaul

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I’m curious if we may catch a glimpse of Walter leaving when it happens from this webcam. Maybe we won’t exactly see him be loaded, but is it possible we could see him leaving on the flatbed truck?

I highly doubt we will be able to see anything on the VR cam. The truck will more than likely enter and depart from the semi truck entrance, which isn’t visible on this cam.

What's the rush? Not like it's going to see action at the MK anytime soon.
Money. The longer that Walter is at Strasburg, the more Disney will have to pay at the end. We all know Disney is cheap and does like to spend more than they have to. Not to mention that the budget for the WDWRR isn’t the largest either. Also, Strasburg has a long line of customers waiting to have their pieces of equipment delivered to the shop for overhaul/restoration. Strasburg does not want to keep them waiting any longer than they already have to, and therefore they want Walter finished and gone just as much as Disney so they can bring in the next customer.

Andrew M

I highly doubt we will be able to see anything on the VR cam. The truck will more than likely enter and depart from the semi truck entrance, which isn’t visible on this cam.

Money. The longer that Walter is at Strasburg, the more Disney will have to pay at the end. We all know Disney is cheap and does like to spend more than they have to. Not to mention that the budget for the WDWRR isn’t the largest either. Also, Strasburg has a long line of customers waiting to have their pieces of equipment delivered to the shop for overhaul/restoration. Strasburg does not want to keep them waiting any longer than they already have to, and therefore they want Walter finished and gone just as much as Disney so they can bring in the next customer.

Completely agree, you won't be able to see anything since the engine house is in the way. If anything, since the truck will most likely head west to get to Lancaster/York/I-83 you may be able to catch a glimpse of the loaded truck leaving, but that would take some serious watching to catch the 5 seconds or so it'll be on.

Disneyrailfan1996

I wish I could write this saying I have better news, but unfortunately I don’t. I spoke with an engineer while visiting Lilly (she is GORGEOUS! I couldn’t stop admiring her up close!) at her new temporary residence at fantasyland station and asked if Walter was back yet. This was at the end of January (about a week ago), and she told me he wasn’t back yet. In her own words “they pushed it (his return date) back a couple months.” She did however confirm that he was supposed to be back in January.

Disone

I wish I could write this saying I have better news, but unfortunately I don’t. I spoke with an engineer while visiting Lilly (she is GORGEOUS! I couldn’t stop admiring her up close!) at her new temporary residence at fantasyland station and asked if Walter was back yet. This was at the end of January (about a week ago), and she told me he wasn’t back yet. In her own words “they pushed it (his return date) back a couple months.” She did however confirm that he was supposed to be back in January.
That is okay. There is no need to have him here Any time soon.

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe they could just jack the locomotive up a couple of inches off the track and let it "run in place" and blow the whistle every couple of minutes.
I would probably stand there an hour just watching and listening. ;)

Now that it’s at fantasyland station they could arrive and depart a few times just for show if they wanted to. Especially in the morning after the steam train tour. Or are they doing the Tours right now?

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
These pictures are from 2019, though I’m unsure exactly when.

AA64C1D9-39D1-4E79-AA84-FBD3AD595A1D.jpeg
79000719-A7DB-4D26-98E6-DBD25ED9191B.jpeg
E9598ABE-6E6C-44D6-9701-5904AA91F108.jpeg
30508AB5-3A54-4481-A0A5-C418DCE756A2.jpeg

These are parts of Walter’s valve gear. Some parts are completely new and others have been repaired/rebuilt. I’m not 100% sure if any of the valve gear that was repaired is still original from the Yucatán days or not.

9D33E1BF-BDBE-4D5A-97B8-C7F977FB85B9.jpeg

Here’s Walter’s new set of drive wheels.

04E743E2-FDE7-460A-B119-2C78F9720EE1.jpeg

And here’s Walter’s new boiler.

Still in Strasburg, practically finished, waiting to come home.

TrainsOfDisney

Are those the original wheels with new tires or new wheels?

Just answered my own question by actually reading the rypn.... yes brand new wheels. Did Lilly Belle get new wheels too? The wheels and frames were about all that was left original wise.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
The wheels on the axle on the right have no flanges! All weight and traction, no steering.
Upon closer inspection, I’m not entirely sure that Lilly’s middle drivers have flanges. If they do, they’re not very noticeable.

Before the virus, when were the train’s scheduled to be back?
Late 2019/early 2020. Originally early-mid 2019.

Are those the original wheels with new tires or new wheels?

Just answered my own question by actually reading the rypn.... yes brand new wheels. Did Lilly Belle get new wheels too? The wheels and frames were about all that was left original wise.
Yes, they are new. And yes, Lilly’s are also new.

Wheels, trucks, frames, and a handful of other parts/pieces are original. Some of the “original” parts actually came from the 5th locomotive. In fact, the 5th locomotive’s smokestack was used for Roy.
21D765A9-82E3-4243-859E-02483D4B3924.jpeg
B4AA96AC-8EE7-4D0A-AFE4-F4279891004A.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom