News Walter E. Disney overhaul

Andrew M

Man, I wish they would have been able to make that happen...how i dream of being able to hit my PSA sequence and hear, "Your attention please...the Walt Disney World Railroad now arriving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Booooooard!" with the actual sounds from the locomotive. Although, IIRC the presidential locos from MTH are from the Rail King line (have nothing against it, but I love the full scale and detail of Premier) Not to launch into a Ford vs. Chevy type debate, I'm really partial to MTH...my modern Lionel stuff (I have a little) hasn't impressed me nearly as much (quality vs value especially).

Ok, now that I've rudely derailed this thread into oblivion...any more updates on Walter or Roger lately?

I've been playing around with the MTH sound files in order to add custom sounds like the DLR or WDWRR announcements, so far this is as far as I've gotten: MTH 4-6-0 with WDW RR Sounds

They are Railking models, but usually as long as theyre 'close enough' to full scale I don't mind it. I wish I could afford Premier, but I refuse to pay that much/my wife would kill me if I did. I don't know how people routinely drop $1,300+ on Premier steam engines.

RaveOnEd

I've been playing around with the MTH sound files in order to add custom sounds like the DLR or WDWRR announcements, so far this is as far as I've gotten: MTH 4-6-0 with WDW RR Sounds

They are Railking models, but usually as long as theyre 'close enough' to full scale I don't mind it. I wish I could afford Premier, but I refuse to pay that much/my wife would kill me if I did. I don't know how people routinely drop $1,300+ on Premier steam engines.
That was great! And I love the Disney-themed freight!

I've always been a fan of the RailKing line. When they first came out, I got one of the Pennsy freight sets. It felt and operated like a vintage Lionel set, as far as weight, look and overall vibe. They had brought back the feel of the heavy duty starter set that Lionel lost along the way.

I agree on paying that much for a Premier. Plus I've read too many horror stories about boards frying or something else to turn it into a $1,300.00 paperweight. There were times me or my dad would look at them, but then get something vintage, like the 700E or something along those lines. They have a better vibe to them, still run flawlessly with good maintenance, and have better value for money.

Monorail_Orange

I've always been a fan of the RailKing line. When they first came out, I got one of the Pennsy freight sets. It felt and operated like a vintage Lionel set, as far as weight, look and overall vibe. They had brought back the feel of the heavy duty starter set that Lionel lost along the way.

I agree on paying that much for a Premier. Plus I've read too many horror stories about boards frying or something else to turn it into a $1,300.00 paperweight. There were times me or my dad would look at them, but then get something vintage, like the 700E or something along those lines. They have a better vibe to them, still run flawlessly with good maintenance, and have better value for money.
I hear you both on the cost. I've gotten to the point where I buy used/pre-owned when I see something I like for a great value.

Disneyrailfan1996

Railking even with its most basic models is top of the line when compared to even the most expensive of basic model trains. I’ve had my old NYC 10 wheeler for 18-19 years now! Runs like a charm and pulls like a champ! As for price, what I would do is watch eBay for deals! That’s how I managed to snag my Hartland Locomotive Works Lilly Belle for $800 or so! It originally was missing the certificate of authenticity, but the guy eventually found it and sent it to me a week or two later!

Attachments

• 1AC27A89-F351-40A5-9846-B2AC75C017EF.jpeg
    1AC27A89-F351-40A5-9846-B2AC75C017EF.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 145
  • C2A99140-FD44-4446-9BB3-9E6F3871F80E.jpeg
    C2A99140-FD44-4446-9BB3-9E6F3871F80E.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 1F4E9556-1D4E-431F-89AE-EA5E8AA083DD.jpeg
    1F4E9556-1D4E-431F-89AE-EA5E8AA083DD.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 162
  • B0EE397F-F3D9-4D46-AEB6-91307C3544E0.jpeg
    B0EE397F-F3D9-4D46-AEB6-91307C3544E0.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 36D23958-9BF0-432A-8863-D2F457710C11.jpeg
    36D23958-9BF0-432A-8863-D2F457710C11.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 171

Andrew M

Railking even with its most basic models is top of the line when compared to even the most expensive of basic model trains. I’ve had my old NYC 10 wheeler for 18-19 years now! Runs like a charm and pulls like a champ! As for price, what I would do is watch eBay for deals! That’s how I managed to snag my Hartland Locomotive Works Lilly Belle for $800 or so! It originally was missing the certificate of authenticity, but the guy eventually found it and sent it to me a week or two later!

Nice find!

Is anyone in/going to be in the parks this weekend? I saw rumors on other sites that they saw the train running backwards, with speculation that they may institute a shuttle like they did when Splash Mountain was being built.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Is anyone in/going to be in the parks this weekend? I saw rumors on other sites that they saw the train running backwards, with speculation that they may institute a shuttle like they did when Splash Mountain was being built.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw Lilly heading back to the roundhouse from Fantasyland Station after the tour and thought that's what they were doing. (I can see how someone would) As much as I'd like to have shuttle runs, I just don't see it happening.

Andrew M

I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw Lilly heading back to the roundhouse from Fantasyland Station after the tour and thought that's what they were doing. (I can see how someone would) As much as I'd like to have shuttle runs, I just don't see it happening.

That's what I figured too. I'll be down next week, really wish they would lower the age limit so I could do the tour with my kids, my 6 yr old would love it

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I feel like I’m kicking a dead horse here, and I know that y’all are tired of hearing it, and honestly I’m getting tired of saying it :hilarious:, but Walter should be coming home very soon. He’s been gone for 3 years & 2 months, and the original estimation for his return was late 2019-early 2020. Not only that, but Strasburg is closed until February 15th, which makes this an ideal time for the move.

I apologize for the lack of updates for this thread and the one pertaining to Roger, but information has been scarce as of lately, and Strasburg’s new shop tour policy doesn’t help either.

techgeek

No pictures.

Curious what their motivation for such secrecy is for. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s a very short list of shops capable of performing such work worldwide and it’s not like it was ever a real mystery where they went. I would think Disney would be all about the publicity of a splashy refurbishment as a customer, and I would have thought Strasburg would at least love to accept the credit for being selected by a high profile client. Think of the missed opportunity blog posts and tweets all around!

Instead Disney won’t even acknowledge publicly they are off property, and there’s a black hole for info in PA. Makes no sense!

Disneyrailfan1996

I’m curious if we may catch a glimpse of Walter leaving when it happens from this webcam. Maybe we won’t exactly see him be loaded, but is it possible we could see him leaving on the flatbed truck?

DisneyOutsider

I feel like I’m kicking a dead horse here, and I know that y’all are tired of hearing it, and honestly I’m getting tired of saying it :hilarious:, but Walter should be coming home very soon. He’s been gone for 3 years & 2 months, and the original estimation for his return was late 2019-early 2020. Not only that, but Strasburg is closed until February 15th, which makes this an ideal time for the move.

I apologize for the lack of updates for this thread and the one pertaining to Roger, but information has been scarce as of lately, and Strasburg’s new shop tour policy doesn’t help either.

What's the rush? Not like it's going to see action at the MK anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom