News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

mhaftman7

I understand canceling dining and FPP reservations because of changes in capacity on attractions and in restaurants, but why cancel the dining plan?

I got a free dining plan by rebooking during a current stay. I opted for a deluxe resort to get the standard plan. Now, I’m still paying the same price for my room, but I have to pay for dining—and the dining reservations I made in February are useless.
I’m in the same boat brother. Gonna have the talk tomorrow with my wife.

Rich Brownn

If it's the same as Shanghai - yes. It does not count against you. Again, no reason not to think that it won't be the same.
But in Shanghai you cannot use your AP to get into the park right now. You have to purchase a separate dated pass. The way it seems here is, as of July 11, AP's (those not blocked out by type) will be allowed in, so the count would start then.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem we have is our school district really frowns on kids taking vacations during the school year and my oldest is going to be a senior. My wife had previously stated she’d like to go during MVMCP or whatever the short hand is. Jersey week would be the best option being the schools are usually closed for Election Day and in service days Thurs and Fri. It also looks as if they are giving a 35% room discount as well. So, we’ll see.
I thought about Nov before Thanksgiving. One of my favorite times. It’s too soon for me. If I move Aug I want at least 6 months to get the kinks out. I’d prefer a full year but with the DVC restrictions I can’t wait that long. My kids have 3 days off around Presidents Day so we could do 9 or 10 nights and only miss 3 school days. Not ideal but better than dealing with masks and all this joy in August.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Same here. We have 2 families going in August and as of last night 2 adults wanted to cancel, 1 on the fence and 1 firmly wanting to still go. Losing all the ADRs we had and no FP reservations will likely put the final 2 people over the top. We may try to reschedule for Feb. That’s the latest I can use my DVC points.
Same here for October trip.

Rider

If that’s the case, then what would’ve been the cost of the dining plan should be subtracted from the cost of room reservation.

It is? That was part of the announcement...

Guests who purchased a Disney dining plan and tickets for dates between May 28 2020 and September 26 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation and refund of their Disney dining plan.

Guests who booked Resort hotel reservations with a Free Dining package for dates between May 28 2020 and September 26 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation of their Disney dining plan and are invited to rebook their vacation for a later date with a 35% room discount.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They don’t really have a lot of options here.

You have dining, fastpasses, and experiences booked out at levels far beyond what they can reasonably accommodate under new guidelines. And a huge percentage of those reservations are held by guests who may not have access to the park.
Then their damage control/retention strategy needs to be beefed up. I’ve never seen such a visceral reaction to something like this before. It Is much worse than the stuff that comes out when ticket prices go up.

It may also be the case that Disney is being too draconian in their restrictions than where the state wants things to be in 6 weeks.

StoneCutter589

Guests who purchased a Disney dining plan and tickets for dates between May 28 2020 and September 26 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation and refund of their Disney dining plan.

Guests who booked Resort hotel reservations with a Free Dining package for dates between May 28 2020 and September 26 2021 will receive an automatic cancellation of their Disney dining plan and are invited to rebook their vacation for a later date with a 35% room discount.

It’s saying “at a later date.” I’d take the 35% off my CURRENT reservation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolutely they don’t want to open under these circumstances. But there is more than $1b a month lost worldwide. That is hemorrhaging money and unsustainable. The rest of the state economy depends on them opening. USO played along. Disney apparently doesn’t share the governors enthusiasm.
The pitiful opening plans they’ve put out so far - not that they have much choice - won’t lead to profits.

You’re talking about most of your staff with way less customers and far less ancillary revenue potential. It’s gotta open up fast to make money...if they restrictions stay till the end of the year?? And travel falls which is inevitable?

They won’t make any money. July is pointless to open.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
If you didn’t think there were going to be mass cancellations of fast pass and dining you were joking yourselves. How else could they have accommodated limited attendance?

This is also ideally most likely to get people to cancel their reservations. They can’t handle all of the booked reservations currently set for check-in. Wait until they start offering incentives for people to move their vacations or outright canceling some reservations because they won’t be opening your resort and can’t move you somewhere else.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Disney is getting blasted all over social media right now. People are very very unhappy over this.

They may need a redo on this one.

Or these people need to reevaluate their expectations. What's Disney supposed to do better here? There'd be more outrage if Disney randomly booted some reservations to keep others. We'd read ad nauseam people "connecting the dots" to how Disney unfairly targeted them to cancel long plans.

If people want to be mad at Disney about FP+s then at least wait until we see ride capacity and times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m told “free dining” is a much better deal...

Is isn’t this a loser? But free dining without 11 character buffets would be culture shock
WDW has been trying to thin out the crowds at MK for years with price hikes and other carrots and clubs. This is a perfect time to weed out the snowflakes who have unreasonable expectations.
Why do you believe that, Peng? Why does it make sense or correspond with their investment dollars? Or with the decline in other segments?

jinx8402

Same here. We have 2 families going in August and as of last night 2 adults wanted to cancel, 1 on the fence and 1 firmly wanting to still go. Losing all the ADRs we had and no FP reservations will likely put the final 2 people over the top. We may try to reschedule for Feb. That’s the latest I can use my DVC points.
Umm are we secretly planning together? Exact situation I'm in. And my friend just decided tonight that they are most likely out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom