News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

donsullivan

Premium Member
It seems their concerns about a complete mess on July 4th won out in selecting their opening dates.

There are countless details that will be coming out over the coming weeks leading up to the actual opening. We'll get details on how the reservation system will work, what the plan is for resort opening (which do not require an approved plan for re-opening) etc. The Parks Blog is going to be busy in the coming weeks.

fgmnt

As far as I know there is no restriction by OC or FL on operating hotels at this time, so Disney does not have to go through any approval process to open them.

The company will probably make a more well rounded announcement after the plan is approved. There are logistic factors within the resort but outside the scope of the parks that they can't properly proceed with without approval to open the parks.

For example, if room stock is as depressed as it is after 9/11, they may try to shift reservations around in an effort to mothball entire hotels, and need to do work on that front before announcing a reopening of the resorts. They also may need to adjust dining experiences at hotels, determine pool operations at hotels, and determine if they want to set capacity limits at hotels.

I expect all of the MK resorts to open on July 10 or 11 unless published otherwise.

Donaldfan1934

Voted July in the reopening poll from @tecowdw.
1590593788756.gif

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Very anecdotal, but based on being out & about, traveling to Pensacola Beach last weekend ... I just get the sense that people are pretty much over the whole virus thing. The "mood" of the moment seems to have really shifted. I would expect by mid-July it will be very much in the rear-view mirror for most people.
I completely agree, and Disney is doing a disservice to their cast members by making "mandatory" rules that people are just going to ignore en masse.

Personally, I think the rules are ridiculous but I also believe people should follow the rules that businesses are making if for no other reason than as a courtesy to the employees. "Go but ignore the rules" is not an option for me, and neither is "go and follow the rules," so I won't be gong. Very bummed.

disneygeek90

Very anecdotal, but based on being out & about, traveling to Pensacola Beach last weekend ... I just get the sense that people are pretty much over the whole virus thing. The "mood" of the moment seems to have really shifted. I would expect by mid-July it will be very much in the rear-view mirror for most people.

All that to say, I think there's a very real chance some of the restrictions (including face coverings) may not even survive to July 11.
People may be "over" the virus, but the virus isn't over us. This isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Orange County is aware that numbers aren't exactly declining significantly in the area. Disney isn't going to alter their plans based on what people are doing on beaches.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

All that to say, I think there's a very real chance some of the restrictions (including face coverings) may not even survive to July 11.
I agree with this. You can’t put the genie back in the lamp or is it pandora back in the box...either way things are moving like an avalanche. What started as slow, steady and measured is not anymore. It’s a free for all. No point pretending there are rules which very few have any interest in following. By mid-July it’s possible masks and social distancing are both out. We could be back to pretty much normal.

Mainahman

We have had reservations at Saratoga Springs for 10/17-10/24 since last November. Wonder what this means for us and all of the other people that booked their trips 11 months (or so) in advance?
We are at All Star Music in August. Arriving the 9th. its been on the books since september of last year, and adjusted once to move to august. id hate to see them drop it because of a " new reservation system" also if they wont let you park hop, will they be refunding that off everyones vacations?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We have had reservations at Saratoga Springs for 10/17-10/24 since last November. Wonder what this means for us and all of the other people that booked their trips 11 months (or so) in advance?
It shouldn’t mean anything unless for some reason Saratoga is not fully open.

Existing reservations after opening shouldn’t be affected.

It’s the problem with delayed/cancelled dvc reservations that are going to be a disaster. Those points have no where to go.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are at All Star Music in August. Arriving the 9th. its been on the books since september of last year, and adjusted once to move to august. id hate to see them drop it because of a " new reservation system" also if they wont let you park hop, will they be refunding that off everyones vacations?
Disney has been very good on refunding throughout this, so I expect them to take care of that.

disneygeek90

I wonder if they have decided how long they are extending annual passes? They were supposed to extend them the # of days they were shut down, but does that mean the clock starts ticking again on July 11th? or 15th? or are they waiting until they are at 100% capacity?
I believe in Shanghai days are still being extended while "reservations" are required. Unsure what that will look like here.

wagnerdanp

Any idea on how annual passes will work? My pass is currently set to expire on June 15. With the reservation requirement, will passes be extended at all until there is no limitation?

*Cinderelly*

In the Parks
No
Well, we shall see how this goes. I do for the sake of the guests that do try to go right out of the gate, I do hope they all have an enjoyable experience. For the CM's I hope Disney gives them extra breaks. It isn't going to be easy and certainly it could end up a big mess, but they made a decision and it is go time now. Let's see what happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom