News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Andrew25

I have to wonder if there is some psychology here. This sounds like Banana Republic's old ploy. They wanted to incentivize buyers, so they started running major sales constantly (30% or 40% off) - while slowly increasing base prices behind the scenes. 100% pure speculation, but I wonder if this is a game to allow them to offer "discounts" in the future while still keeping the bottom line high. Or, if that isn't needed - they get their joyous lower AP numbers. Not sure it will actually work, but companies have done far worse psychological experiments with pricing.

I wonder at what point we may all wake up to realize we're basically part of a supply chain to the higher ups in mega corporations. There is nothing human about this. It's 100% maximizing revenue. Whether you're a laptop, cattle, plastic parts or a "guest".

They see popcorn buckets and spirit jerseys as a supply chain already as an example. I can't blame Disney for not building rides when people visiting the parks are happily spending $30+ on popcorn buckets and $70+ on spirit jerseys for every single new release.

Every time I visit Disney Springs there's a line for Star Wars lightsabers that cost $150+ each.

If a minor recession hits early next year, I fully expect some discounts and a temporary re-release of certain APs.

raymusiccity

Well it’s hard to increase prices when the travel marke is collapsing…..

I’m sure 1,2,3 fools will be along any minute now to debate that…we should run a pool on who the winner will be?

Well, it's actually very easy to raise prices when the travel market is collapsing. 'You ain't seen nothing yet!' They'll keep squeezing until demand weakens. Those electronic ticket signs can go back down at a flick of a switch. 🤑

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to wonder if there is some psychology here. This sounds like Banana Republic's old ploy. They wanted to incentivize buyers, so they started running major sales constantly (30% or 40% off) - while slowly increasing base prices behind the scenes. 100% pure speculation, but I wonder if this is a game to allow them to offer "discounts" in the future while still keeping the bottom line high. Or, if that isn't needed - they get their joyous lower AP numbers. Not sure it will actually work, but companies have done far worse psychological experiments with pricing.

I wonder at what point we may all wake up to realize we're basically part of a supply chain to the higher ups in mega corporations. There is nothing human about this. It's 100% maximizing revenue. Whether you're a laptop, cattle, plastic parts or a "guest".
They started that in 2009…

There was this crazy guy on another board who used to tirade about it.

…he’s dead now.

Epcot82Guy

They started that in 2009…

There was this crazy guy on another board who used to tirade about it.

…he’s dead now.

I doubt he was ever "alive"...

Seriously, though... I totally agree. This isn't new. It's just our modern mega corp leadership sees no need to hide it any longer. I think people are raising some valid points. But, there is always exuberance before the crash. Years of effectively free money cause people to have a very different relationship with items and perceived value. (And that's not a dig directly at Disney - rather much more broadly. Though I would argue current Disney is a archetype of the current state of these long-forming problems.)

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
New pricing for Annual Passes when they resume -

Wow, so when you add the $100 they charge extra for Photopass that’s $1499 for the rough equivalent of the old Platinum Pass (of course, still missing some of the other old perks like early RunDisney registration, etc) but the price is within a few bucks of DOUBLE what a Platinum Pass cost five years ago! Of course, being out of state it’s the only one we can purchase too.

I kept on renewing through a few years of price increases on the theory that (between free parking, free photos, and other perks), I’d only need two 3-4 day trips a year to see a cost benefit. That math just doesn’t hold up anymore even after the renewal discount, I was probably going to let mine expire in August anyway (and just do 1-2 visits a year instead of 3-4 and spend more time exploring other area attractions), but this certainly makes the decision easier!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow, so when you add the $100 they charge extra for Photopass that’s $1499 for the rough equivalent of the old Platinum Pass (of course, still missing some of the other old perks like early RunDisney registration, etc) but the price is within a few bucks of DOUBLE what a Platinum Pass cost five years ago! Of course, being out of state it’s the only one we can purchase too.

I kept on renewing through a few years of price increases on the theory that (between free parking, free photos, and other perks), I’d only need two 3-4 day trips a year to see a cost benefit. That math just doesn’t hold up anymore even after the renewal discount, I was probably going to let mine expire in August anyway (and just do 1-2 visits a year instead of 3-4 and spend more time exploring other area attractions), but this certainly makes the decision easier!
Photo pass is gone…

That ship is halfway to Bermuda.

It’s as dead as the $35 Halloween tickets 🤪

MrPromey

As in, the park hopper add-on itself is going to variable pricing, in addition to the variable pricing that already applies to the underlying ticket?

Is the variability going to be based on length-of-ticket, date, or both?

So in the future, based on this and other variable pricing (food can't be too far away, can it?) a one day visit to WDW could cost you between $109 and whatever's in your 401k.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom