News Walt Disney World renames certain room categories

surfsupdon

I agree. I don't want a room by the pool, I want a room that overlooks water such as Sassagoula River, Bay Lake, or Crescent Lake. Pool view and water view are two distinctly separate categories and should be kept that way.
But I bet the pool views will jack up in price to be similar to Lake/Lagoon view. More money!

dreday3

So in the end, the only way to get a guaranteed "good" view (water - lake or pool) is to book water view for a lot more money.
Otherwise your only other choice is resort view which can be garden, roof, parking lot, dumpsters, etc.,. And if you choose resort view you either are lucky (not really) in price if your view ends up being a garden or unlucky if you get a parking lot.

Thanks for looking out for us Disney! 😄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So in the end, the only way to get a guaranteed "good" view (water - lake or pool) is to book water view for a lot more money.
Otherwise your only other choice is resort view which can be garden, roof, parking lot, dumpsters, etc.,. And if you choose resort view you either are lucky (not really) in price if your view ends up being a garden or unlucky if you get a parking lot.

Thanks for looking out for us Disney! 😄
People have been overpaying for views at wdw for along time…you’re mad about it now??

Weather_Lady

We booked Garden View at Yacht Club, because the Standard Views (mostly roofs) were so poor. If our now-converted "Resort View" room turns out to be one of the formerly-designated "Standard View" rooms, I'll be politely asking for a room change, or a refund of the rate difference. (Yes, I screenshot the former room designations so I can check. For the $40/night upcharge we've paid, it's worth the effort.)

Those who booked Water View when it meant a Crescent Lake view, who end up in a room facing the quiet pool and laundry building (which used to be classified as Garden View but is now a not-so-magical Water View) should really do the same.

Bait-and-switch is no way to do business.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

This is the wording from an email I received:

Effective later this month, and including all 2024 reservations, the names of some room categories at Deluxe Resorts will be simplified to be three categories in most cases: resort view, water view, theme park view. This adjustment better enables us to focus on the guest experience at check-in as we assign rooms and prioritize specific requests.
Ah..so it was for the “ guest experience “. 🙄

We booked Garden View at Yacht Club, because the Standard Views (mostly roofs) were so poor. If our now-converted "Resort View" room turns out to be one of the formerly-designated "Standard View" rooms, I'll be politely asking for a room change, or a refund of the rate difference. (Yes, I screenshot the former room designations so I can check. For the $40/night upcharge we've paid, it's worth the effort.)

We also booked Garden View at YC. I got the email a couple days ago about the change. It is the shared balcony that I am also concerned about. Other than the CL rooms, weren't the shared balcony rooms classified as Standard before?

Weather_Lady

We also booked Garden View at YC. I got the email a couple days ago about the change. It is the shared balcony that I am also concerned about. Other than the CL rooms, weren't the shared balcony rooms classified as Standard before?
I don't know about those rooms (or even which ones they are), but last I checked, the touringplans Room Finder for Yacht Club had not been updated to reflect the new classifications. That might be a good place to check. Since we reserved Garden/Woods View, I screen-shot the maps of each floor with all of those rooms highlighted, so I'll know when we're there in August if we get assigned a room in the category we paid for.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster

Those who booked Water View when it meant a Crescent Lake view, who end up in a room facing the quiet pool and laundry building (which used to be classified as Garden View but is now a not-so-magical Water View) should really do the same.

Did you read the announcement?

They said quite clearly that anyone who booked under the old naming scheme would be getting rooms that were classified however they were classified before.

If you booked Lagoon when it was called Lagoon, there's absolutely zero risk that you get Pool. The change only applies to new reservations for people who book "Water." There is no bait-and-switch.

Ah..so it was for the “ guest experience “. 🙄
Yes, not everything is a grand conspiracy to screw people.

When you have a ton of different room categories, it's hard to honor people's requests when they ask for connecting rooms, high floor, near an elevator, not facing the bus stop, etc. You might only have a handful of rooms in that category when you have 10 different categories. When you have fewer categories with more rooms per category, you have more flexibility to move people around to honor their requests.

Connecting rooms are the number one request and they're hugely important to families with many small children. This will help those families tremendously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom