News Walt Disney World renames certain room categories

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But a Resort View is now a standard? Some standards are absolutely terrible-- Yacht Beach stone roofview, Boardwalk bus stop trellace view, and AKL no sunshine view. I purposely book the garden/upgrade view to avoid any chance of these worst views.
The reality is some views/locations in all hotels suck.

Disney did well to try to limit it…but still it’s unavoidable.

The best place for complaints was next to the dumpsters at GF…

More of “sound and smell” issue…according to figment

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am fine with the old classification of rooms as they were specific and different enough (pool v lagoon is a huge difference), but I would rather they cut down on the crazy number of seasons and wonky per night pricing. You can stay a week and have up to 4 prices for the exact same room.
You lost that battle 15 years ago…it was probably inevitable and would have been sooner if not for Disneys awful IT.

They were running a DOS based system till about 2005 and cross rigged with an equally obsolete revenue system.

But the “seasons” and categories? Everyone wanted them. Views of a concrete shell nobody looks at…Halloween in august…3 month long “month long festivals”

Walt whispers from the corn to management: “if you charge it…they will pay…”

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
The reality is some views/locations in all hotels suck.

Disney did well to try to limit it…but still it’s unavoidable.

The best place for complaints was next to the dumpsters at GF…

More of “sound and smell” issue…according to figment
The problem with the new system is that pool view is divisive. Everyone pretty much agrees that river view is better than dumpster view, or that savanna view is better than parking lot view, but people don't agree on pool view. Some people love it, others hate it. Rolling the dice on the new "water view" category is going to mean you get some disappointed people who thought they were getting the Sassagoula River and instead got the swimmin' hole.

Booking the cheapest room and hoping for some shrubbery instead of a bus stop is one thing, and maybe you're disappointed when you get the bus stop, but there's nobody to blame because you didn't pay for any kind of upgrade. That's different than paying extra for water view and ending up staring at a rusting ADA chair lift.

Last edited:

dreday3

The problem with the new system is that pool view is divisive. Everyone pretty much agrees that river view is better than dumpster view, or that savanna view is better than parking lot view, but people don't agree on pool view. Some people love it, others hate it. Rolling the dice on the new "water view" category is going to mean you get some disappointed people who thought they were getting the Sassagoula River and instead got the swimmin' hole.

People are just going to have to be satisfied to get what they get within the category they booked, myself included. They can also request a view knowing it won't be guaranteed.

Everyone will get used to it.

It's just going to be laughable to sees the prices for a standard now increased to the prices for a garden view. There's a chance they lower garden view to standard (for resort view) but I don't know about that.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
People are just going to have to be satisfied to get what they get within the category they booked, myself included. They can also request a view knowing it won't be guaranteed.

Everyone will get used to it.
It just feels like a solution in search of a problem. On net, I don't think it's BAD, it just feels unnecessary.

Letting people book King beds is a huge win, so that part is good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Booking the cheapest room and hoping for some shrubbery instead of a bus stop is one thing, and maybe you're disappointed when you get the bus stop, but there's nobody to blame because you didn't pay for any kind of upgrade. That's different than paying extra for water view and ending up staring at a rusting ADA chair lift.
Again…it’s the same issue as decades ago

surfsupdon

A pool view has always been a negative to us for a resort stay. Noisy and lots of bright lights. A lake view is what we typically book or request. From Pop through Caribbean up to Yacht.

As great as the Commodore Suite was at Yacht, it's overlook of Stormalong Bay brought with it noise pollution and excessive bright lights overnight.

griffntam

I received the email today for our October trip at Beach Club with garden view, so now I’m wondering what the new category will be. It didn’t say except what the room category would be what we booked.

“Please note that your plans in My Disney Experience may now show your upcoming resort room type has been renamed, however you will still receive the exact room type you originally booked.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is the wording from an email I received:

Effective later this month, and including all 2024 reservations, the names of some room categories at Deluxe Resorts will be simplified to be three categories in most cases: resort view, water view, theme park view. This adjustment better enables us to focus on the guest experience at check-in as we assign rooms and prioritize specific requests.

Wonder what the non-conforming cases are.

DVC Construction View?

And aren't their views that face the parking lot? What are they called?

Ayla

A pool view has always been a negative to us for a resort stay. Noisy and lots of bright lights. A lake view is what we typically book or request. From Pop through Caribbean up to Yacht.

As great as the Commodore Suite was at Yacht, it's overlook of Stormalong Bay brought with it noise pollution and excessive bright lights overnight.
I agree. I don't want a room by the pool, I want a room that overlooks water such as Sassagoula River, Bay Lake, or Crescent Lake. Pool view and water view are two distinctly separate categories and should be kept that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom