Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

The Mom

Premium Member
Air travel is completely down. People aren’t flying in to FL. That’s an absolute fact. 21M people live in the state. The beaches aren’t packed with tourists.

It depends upon the beach. We have been going to the same resort in NE FL for about 30 years, and most of the other people staying there have been from the Atlanta area. Most people drove to the resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It depends upon the beach. We have been going to the same resort in NE FL for about 30 years, and most of the other people staying there have been from the Atlanta area. Most people drove to the resort.
In my mind driving from GA to NE FL you are basically a local. Up here in PA many people go to the NJ shore for beaches. They aren’t from NJ but they are local travelers.

SamusAranX

There are a ton of people from northern states that have second homes in FL too. I know at least a dozen off the top of my head. I’m not here to tell people what to think. If you guys want to believe tourism is thriving and people are just avoiding WDW because of a mask rule then more power to you. It really makes no difference either way.

I don't necessarily believe that it's the main reason...at the same time, i haven't seen a decrease in beach crowds, so I feel for whatever reason that sector of tourism is somewhat well still.

Rumrunner

The reduced hours are a disappointment and a hard pill to swallow. We cancelled a 9 night trip (12 of us-3 generations) that was scheduled for Sept 19th. When the total cost for resort-OKW-tickets-travel-etc over 20 grand with these reduced hours it was simply not worth the money.

If Disney wants to reduce the hours then in fairness to the patrons that should be done months in advance. Most of us plan and plan to go to Disney and for my 6 grandchildren and their parents closing the parks at those early hours was a deal killer.

I speak for my entire family-Disney has been slowly losing its magic and with some of the new directions it may be the end of our Disney experiences. Have been taking my kids and grandkids since 1976 and it is a very difficult decision but Disney leadership has blown it for us.

DisneyDebRob

The reduced hours are a disappointment and a hard pill to swallow. We cancelled a 9 night trip (12 of us-3 generations) that was scheduled for Sept 19th. When the total cost for resort-OKW-tickets-travel-etc over 20 grand with these reduced hours it was simply not worth the money.

If Disney wants to reduce the hours then in fairness to the patrons that should be done months in advance. Most of us plan and plan to go to Disney and for my 6 grandchildren and their parents closing the parks at those early hours was a deal killer.

I speak for my entire family-Disney has been slowly losing its magic and with some of the new directions it may be the end of our Disney experiences. Have been taking my kids and grandkids since 1976 and it is a very difficult decision but Disney leadership has blown it for us.
Agreed. For 20 grand fully open would be a tough pill to swallow. No brainer now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Hawg G

No masks aren't a huge part of the low crowds. The mask mandate isn't even a small part of it. For every person that is avoiding going to a theme park because they dont want to wear a mask, there's another 1-2 people that will refuse to go to a place where people aren't wearing masks - especially in a huge public setting like a theme park. When Vegas reopened - masks weren't required (only required if you sat at a table). Vegas still struggled to bring people in despite the lack of masks.

The reason for the low crowds are many; but the majority of it is due to the fact that people are scared to travel. The Florida market isn't big enough to support the parks on their own. Vegas is experiencing the same issue - their local market (including SoCal) isn't large enough to support it on it's own. Add to that, the fact that you're only getting half an experience at full price, people aren't going to come.

Vegas is inside. And I’d assume most, if not all shows are dark. I really don’t think gambling is comparable to amusement parks at all with respect to masks

Polkadotdress

What were the "posted hours" when you booked the trip? Oh...they weren't posted and you ASSUMED they would be the same as last year?
It's hardly a reflection on leadership that the current posted hours reflect a downturn in business during a worldwide pandemic in a state that has been deemed one of the "worst" for cases in the entire country.

rowrbazzle

The parks were the busiest they have been since they reopened this past weekend according to https://touringplans.com/blog/2020/08/09/theme-parks-see-busiest-post-reopening-day-on-saturday/

The Universal & Sea World water parks hit capacity both days also. (Despite the insane lightning storm last night)

It's an article purportedly about how parks were the busiest they've been since reopening, but they never compare waits across time. I don't get it. Who cares about their app and wrong predictions?

It does seem like it was busier this weekend though. The numbers on the app were higher at all the parks than they have been in previous days. Some other websites had good pictures of the crowds too.

Last edited:

DisneyJoe

It's an article purportedly about how parks were the busiest they've been since reopening, but they never compare waits across time. I don't get it. Who cares about their app and wrong predictions?

It does seem like it was busier this weekend though. The numbers on the app were higher at all the parks than they have been in previous days. Some other websites had good pictures of the crowds too.
They did compare to an equivalent day last year
"let’s take a look at the wait times for this equivalent day last year (the Saturday before school was back in session locally in the Walt Disney World area). "

rowrbazzle

They did compare to an equivalent day last year
"let’s take a look at the wait times for this equivalent day last year (the Saturday before school was back in session locally in the Walt Disney World area). "

Yes, I meant across time since reopening. Seeing that waits at a park with capacity restrictions and no FP are lower than at one without restrictions and with FP tells me about restrictions and FP. It doesn't provide insight into how the parks have operated since reopening - the only time period that really matters right now and the supposed purpose of the article.

robhedin

Air travel is completely down. People aren’t flying in to FL. That’s an absolute fact. 21M people live in the state. The beaches aren’t packed with tourists.
Definitely agree that people aren't flying. Some of that is due to not feeling safe, other is due to the already miserable experience being made even more miserable. Most of the people I know that are traveling are doing so via car specifically because they don't want to deal with all the hassles of flying today.

At the same time, it's difficult to compare beaches to Disney-- I may make a trip to the beach for a "cheap" get away, but the cost of going to Disney is MUCH more expensive. A number of people I know that would love to go to Disney just can't see the value in going at the moment due to the price/value proposition (lack of entertainment, shortened hours, required park reservations, and yes masks to a greater or lesser degree for a "full price" ticket);

Given the number of people concerned about not being able to send their kids to school, I'd expect the same number of people would feel safe going to Disney.

Basically, I'm sure some people aren't coming to Disney because of safety concerns, but I'm sure others aren't going because of financial concerns (lost their jobs), and still others aren't coming because of perceived lack of value/experience.

robhedin

Yep; people up here are getting away. They're going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and Florida and Savannah and Myrtle Beach. Places that are easy to drive to. Several people in my office have been to the Florida panhandle (Destin/Pensacola/Panama City) and Orlando; a few people several times over the past month or so.

legwand77

Not true at all, I have been flying and it has picked up, not near normal but much more than late April/early June. It won't get back to normal for a while but more people are flying as it is still down 70 or so from the previous year. Mostly due to lack of business travel

Domestic U.S. Load Factor Averaged 45% in Most Recent Week, Versus 89% a Year Earlier

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 11.59.17 AM.png

Parker in NYC

Yep; people up here are getting away. They're going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and Florida and Savannah and Myrtle Beach. Places that are easy to drive to. Several people in my office have been to the Florida panhandle (Destin/Pensacola/Panama City) and Orlando; a few people several times over the past month or so.

How is DollyWood doing? Not asking you directly but was just wondering since you brought up Pigeon Forge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Definitely agree that people aren't flying. Some of that is due to not feeling safe, other is due to the already miserable experience being made even more miserable. Most of the people I know that are traveling are doing so via car specifically because they don't want to deal with all the hassles of flying today.

At the same time, it's difficult to compare beaches to Disney-- I may make a trip to the beach for a "cheap" get away, but the cost of going to Disney is MUCH more expensive. A number of people I know that would love to go to Disney just can't see the value in going at the moment due to the price/value proposition (lack of entertainment, shortened hours, required park reservations, and yes masks to a greater or lesser degree for a "full price" ticket);

Given the number of people concerned about not being able to send their kids to school, I'd expect the same number of people would feel safe going to Disney.

Basically, I'm sure some people aren't coming to Disney because of safety concerns, but I'm sure others aren't going because of financial concerns (lost their jobs), and still others aren't coming because of perceived lack of value/experience.
This is true. People are staying closer to home. If they are going places it’s driving in a lot of cases not flying. Disney‘s own numbers from the earnings call pointed that out. They said half of their visitors have been local and half from out of state. The regular split is 20/80 during normal times. I agree that Disney is also a more expensive trip and more time consuming to plan so that adds to the drop in demand.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not true at all, I have been flying and it has picked up, not near normal but much more than late April/early June. It won't get back to normal for a while but more people are flying as it is still down 70 or so from the previous year. Mostly due to lack of business travel

Domestic U.S. Load Factor Averaged 45% in Most Recent Week, Versus 89% a Year Earlier

View attachment 489921
You are posting data showing air traffic is way down and then telling me it’s not down because it’s up compared to April when full stay at home orders were in place. I agree that air traffic is Not near normal...it’s down over 70%.

legwand77

You are posting data showing air traffic is way down and then telling me it’s not down because it’s up compared to April when full stay at home orders were in place. I agree that air traffic is Not near normal...it’s down over 70%.
Well that is different than , "people are not traveling" and "air traffic is 'completely" down" etc etc. Glad you agree.

It has more than doubled since early June but will take a while to get back to normal especially with business travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom