Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

ImperfectPixie

Bureaucracies of all stripes tend to fare better under conditions of certainty and predictability. They tend to move slowly, so to speak. They tend to favor careful deliberation over rapid transformation. Our schools and our national government are both bureaucracies. They are very complex systems with many layers.

Planning time is very important.

A potentially positive long term benefit of the present experience is that it has - in some ways- forced our schools to be a little more nimble in adapting. Long term, I think we've seen the end of snow days. Schools will also do a better job of incorporating technology/software literacy. We are seeing a real transformation in our education system that was maybe a bit overdue.
Snow days are a matter of getting children to schools safely. It also generally involves other city/town departments for cleaning roads, parking lots, and sidewalks. Weather conditions in the few hours prior to school start is just one factor of many that determine whether school is cancelled for snow.

Lilofan

Snow days are a matter of getting children to schools safely. It also generally involves other city/town departments for cleaning roads, parking lots, and sidewalks. Weather conditions in the few hours prior to school start is just one factor of many that determine whether school is cancelled for snow.
One exception to snow days are the exclusive boarding schools in New England. The teachers and teachers live on campus together and school happens six days a week and a day off on Sundays.

Touchdown

The worst of it is like 0.06% of the population is dying, and like 60% of family owned businesses are dying. Is that a reasonable trade in your mind? I must assume you don't have any family business.

I’m just going to say this once and I won’t reply again: You can’t fix the economy until you control the virus. We opened up, and the money didn’t come back to those business, why didn’t it? Because most family businesses are resturants and bars, and not a day goes by without one of those places hitting the front page news as a super spreader.

People, in the end, don’t feel the gamble of risking their life is an acceptable risk to eat a meal or drink a beer.

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, I know what a snow day is.

What I meant was, now that every student has a chromebook, they'll just bring it home every time a storm's predicted- or perhaps all winter. Old fashioned vacation snow days are no longer needed. Whenever it is supposed to snow, students will instead have 'work from home remote-learning school days.' Swapping to a remote learning day is likely to be much more popular than the prior policy of having to extend the end of the school year (because all the snow days were used).

Now that we have opened Pandora's box, we aren't likely to close it.

Remote education has a great deal of potential! Underfunded/overcrowded school? Chromebooks cost less than new buildings.

They also hold potential for students with a range of medical conditions.

Maybe....well...if we really get creative- remote learning students can connect from anywhere- even Orlando! Or Paris! What if your child could be 'in school' working from the Louvre on a really interesting art research project?

ImperfectPixie

Yes, I know what a snow day is.

What I meant was, now that every student has a chromebook, they'll just bring it home every time a storm's predicted- or perhaps all winter. Old fashioned vacation snow days are no longer needed. Whenever it is supposed to snow, students will instead have 'work from home remote-learning school days.'

Now that we have opened Pandora's box, we aren't likely to close it.

Remote education has a great deal of potential! Underfunded/overcrowded school? Chromebooks cost less than new buildings/busing/AC. They also hold potential for students with a range of medical conditions.

Maybe....well...if we really get creative- remote learning students can connect from anywhere- even Orlando! Or Paris! What if your child could be 'in school' working from the Louvre on a really interesting art research project?
That's not likely, unfortunately, at least not for K-12.

Jrb1979

Because we all know the those area are MUCH safer than Florida. Wearing a mask on the Jersey Shore is 12.3 times more effective than wearing one outside in Orlando.

It's SCIENCE!
I spell It out for one you this one time. People feel much better traveling to areas within driving distance then hoping on a plane right now. So if you live in the N.Y. area you most likely will book a Jersey Shore vacation over getting on a plane and flying to Florida.

Hawg G

I spell It out for one you this one time. People feel much better traveling to areas within driving distance then hoping on a plane right now. So if you live in the N.Y. area you most likely will book a Jersey Shore vacation over getting on a plane and flying to Florida.

So, has there been an outbreak tied to flying?

MIT seems to say the HEPA filters in airplanes work great. Pro tip.... THEY DO.

ANd you know the media would be all over an outbreak from flying.

So, I'll spell it out to you one time, there is no SCIENCE behind thinking flying is dangerous. The media could easily tout this science that shows it is SAFE. Of course they don't, because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Jrb1979

So, I'll spell it out to you one time, there is no SCIENCE behind thinking flying is dangerous. The media could easily tout this science that shows it is SAFE. Of course they don't, because it doesn't fit the narrative.
No there hasn't been an outbreak tied to flying. Its not just about getting on the plane to Florida. Its what happens if you do get sick while on vacation. They won't let you get back on the plane to go home if you are sick. People don't want to take that chance being stuck somewhere.

eliza61nyc

Lol yeah hepa filters work great which is why millions of folks get sick after flying.

Guess what people are quite capable of figuring out what the feel are acceptable risk. Which I guess goes against your narrative. Lol

So yes, I have gotten sick after flying, especially if I fly to Europe so no the "media" is not brain washing everyone.

It's simply about risk. I cancelled my trip to wdw and yep went to OC NJ.
The media did not have to tell me that's it's impossible to social distance on a plane, the media did not have to tell me that I have no control over how the airplane is cleaned. I figured those things out myself weighed the risk vs benefits and decided flying is not worth it.

And yes right now I like how the citizens of NJ are responding to the virus a lot better than what is going on in Florida.

Lol and lastly, the link you provided says and I quote "MIT MEDICAL RECOMMEND POSTPONEMENT OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL air travel".

Last edited:

Hawg G

Lol yeah hepa filters work great which is why millions of folks get sick after flying.

Guess what people are quite capable of figuring out what the feel are acceptable risk. Which I guess goes against your narrative. Lol

So yes, I have gotten sick after flying, especially if I fly to Europe so no the "media" is not brain washing everyone.

It's simply about risk. I cancelled my trip to wdw and yep went to OC NJ.
The media did not have to tell me that's it's impossible to social distance on a plane, the media did not have to tell me that I have no control over how the airplane is cleaned. I figured those things out myself weighed the risk vs benefits and decided flying is not worth it.

And yes right now I like how the citizens of NJ are responding to the virus a lot better than what is going on in Florida.

Lol and lastly, the link you provided says and I quote "MIT MEDICAL RECOMMEND POSTPONEMENT OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL air travel".

Because it says you’re most likely exposure is from someone sitting next to you. Which is the same for everything you do. Of course that exposure is very small, as proven, again, by the 0.06% death rate.

I would assume MIT Medical would also tell you to not visit the Jersey shore. For a multitude of reasons.

Jrb1979

Because it says you’re most likely exposure is from someone sitting next to you. Which is the same for everything you do. Of course that exposure is very small, as proven, again, by the 0.06% death rate.

I would assume MIT Medical would also tell you to not visit the Jersey shore. For a multitude of reasons.
News to me that the only outcome from getting Covid-19 is death. I will play your game, no you shouldn't be going anywhere where there is lots of people right now. I have yet to go anywhere that may involve huge amounts of people. I have spent my days off at my trailer and went it a mountainside town that was quiet too. Its not that I live in fear, I just am playing it safe right now. Personally I kind of love having to stay away from people. I'm not a people person and have enjoyed the social distancing.

legwand77

Glad to see the numbers keep trending better, you can tell from the lack of dire predications that were being made daily on this board has diminished a lot. No longer a steady stream of Arizona/ Texas/Florida dire problems, i.e. people are not going to be able to be treated and just left to die. That never happeend and Arizona and Texas are both in very good shape now.

Same with Florida, the hospitalized Covid patients in Florida are the lowest they have been since they started breaking the info out. Still much work to do and some places are still very busy, but kudos to the healthcare workers! Also glad the news is now starting to report the deaths correctly, that way it is more representative of what is going on. I am sure ready for that number to decrease. This week Florida reported the lowest increase in cases in over a month.

Everyone keeps doing what they need to do and keeping the trends going in the right direction.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Glad to see the numbers keep trending better, you can tell from the lack of dire predications that were being made daily on this board has diminished a lot. No longer a steady stream of Arizona/ Texas/Florida dire problems, i.e. people are not going to be able to be treated and just left to die. That never happeend and Arizona and Texas are both in very good shape now.

Same with Florida, the hospitalized Covid patients in Florida are the lowest they have been since they started breaking the info out. Still much work to do and some places are still very busy, but kudos to the healthcare workers! Also glad the news is now starting to report the deaths correctly, that way it is more representative of what is going on. I am sure ready for that number to decrease. This week Florida reported the lowest increase in cases in over a month.

Everyone keeps doing what they need to do and keeping the trends going in the right direction.
The case trend in FL looks good. The 7 day average is just under 6,000 cases a day which is definitely going in the right direction. If the trend continues in a few weeks to a month they could potentially get below 2,100 and get FL off of the travel ban lists in multiple states. That could go a long way towards helping the struggling tourism industry there. As you said, everyone needs to keep doing what needs to be done. Keep wearing masks, don‘t have large gatherings and keep bars closed and indoor dining to a bare minimum. If people embrace that it’s the fastest path to recovery.

legwand77

Universal just extended park hours by one hour for Saturday as of yesterday, and will do so going forward Saturday only. They had an extremely busy day yesterday.

Once weekday traffic builds up it will expand even more, same for Disney, if these trends hold up past labor day weekend it will improve sooner. Disney will begin to extend hours as well, IMHO fireworks will be key for that.

Big Ten football is getting tremendous pressure to reverse their decision on canceling football, going to be interesting on how that plays out too in the next week or so.

Rider

Universal just extended park hours by one hour for Saturday as of yesterday, and will do so going forward Saturday only. They had an extremely busy day yesterday.

I wonder what parking at HS would look like if you took that photo before 10am when everyone actually shows up to get the RoR time.

Edit: Not to mention Uni always had terrible parking lines even before Covid.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Disney can always claim that shorter hours means lower exposure for guests and cast members, but at the end of the day -- pun intended -- it's all about clotting the massive hole bleeding money right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom