Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Surferboy567

No one really has talked about the design of the medals this year...what do we all think?

I perfer last year’s and the year before that. The only one that really stands out to me is the Oswald and Castaway. The Half is ok...but the princess one I think is better.

I’ll probably never do a challenge at least not with a marathon involved...so those medals don’t matter as much to me. I also don’t plan on doing a Marathon. So the only distances I care for are 5K, 10K, and Half.

Rteetz

No one really has talked about the design of the medals this year...what do we all think?

I perfer last year’s and the year before that. The only one that really stands out to me is the Oswald and Castaway. The Half is ok...but the princess one I think is better.
Personally I think the Castaway is the best. Dopey is uh... yeah... Marathon looks ok. Oswald and Pluto are fine too.

RememberWhen

Question: I can’t quite figure out from the wording, so maybe you all can help. To do the castaway challenge, it seems you get two medals. Think they’re actually sending the Castaway Cay medal that they give on the island? I really like the challenge medal. And, I’m assuming you just also need to sign up for some other Marathon Weekend race. Yes? I could potentially do the regular 5k, plus the castaway challenge and get 3 medals?

Surferboy567

Question: I can’t quite figure out from the wording, so maybe you all can help. To do the castaway challenge, it seems you get two medals. Think they’re actually sending the Castaway Cay medal that they give on the island? I really like the challenge medal. And, I’m assuming you just also need to sign up for some other Marathon Weekend race. Yes? I could potentially do the regular 5k, plus the castaway challenge and get 3 medals?

Yea, I’m confused on this as well. Kinda why I was asking about it yesterday.

You definitely get two medals, the challenge one, and the standard rubber one they give out. How you get it though is strange.

Says combo of a marathon event (does that mean ANY marathon weekend race?) or does it have to be a specific one?

The advisory also mentions sailings...so not sure what is up with that. As @LAKid53 said yesterday though the page says nothing about cruising. I don’t think they expect you to have a sailing but then why mention it?

Surferboy567

The only problem I can see tommorow, is that if demand is high this could be a bloodbath of people headed to the site.

They scheduled both Marathon and Princess weekends to be released at the same time. Everything could sell out in an extremely limited time.

I see 2 ways everyone has a better shot of getting what they want.

1.) Make a priority list of what you want the most, this is obvious but still should be mentioned. For me it is:

A.) Fairytale Challenge (more medals will probably go very fast)

B.) Oswald 10K

C.) Castaway or Princess 5K haven’t decided yet

another thing is always have a backup. For me, If I can’t get castaway then I’ll go for Princess 5K to replace and vice versa.

2.) Another way that may be more risky is trying to check out all your races at once. Not even sure if you can do this? So just keep adding registrations instead of checking out after you get one. This is more risky because they can sell out by the time you are finished putting in info.

It is either going to be like the summer 5K’s where they sell out in an hour or wine and dine where it takes 1 week for them to sell out.

Since this is marathon and Princess I expect it to go quickly.

Last edited:

Greenlawler

When I got the news yesterday I, of course was not surprised, and a little relieved they did not wait until October to do this.

Original plan was to go down regardless and run. Now I think we have revised.

Traditionally my family goes for a week long trip in October which we delayed and combined with our usual Marathon January trip hoping things would be back open.

Upon getting the news and looking at costs (especially flights), we moved our reservation to early November.

I will be doing the Magic Option. I as opposed to others loved the 2020 shirts, they fit better on me. I love the shirts, so the thought of not getting any was a bummer.

I might need to ask for John Pelky and Carissa to record themselves saying witty things to play before and after the races.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I doubt they will send you that rubbery medal you get when you run the 5k on the island. That's not an official runDisney race...and it's free, lol.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah the blue in their eyes is what’s really throwing me off. I’ve never been a fan of color on medals, to be honest. Still going to keep my registration though! 😂

I just wish they'd refund your card, rather than give you a gift card. I thought about registering for the races I previous registered for, then canceling the original registrations.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The only thing I can think of is that the longer distances usually have more features as you go from 5k to 10k and onward through Dopey (more colors, spinners, danglers, other moving parts, flat vs more texture, and/or multiple types of materials used) that probably make them progressively a bit more expensive, but probably not quite as much more as the differences in prices might suggest.

2aag0t.jpg

GimpYancIent

Looking forward now that the WDW marathon Week and Princess Half Marathon Weekend have been reduced to virtual shadows of what they once were the Star Wars Rival Run weekend takes on a much greater significance. As a Star Wars fan and long time runner this event, conducted in a galaxy not so far away (WDW), has now become important to get done. I hope the powers that be at Disney will get a spine and not cave to the naysayers. It is an opportunity for Disney to live up to its reputation as the bar to be achieved by safely, efficiently and effectively conducting large scale athletic events which will result in the delight of hoards of fans. Once one event is accomplished the fear will dissipate and sanity will return.

Figment82

I just wish they'd refund your card, rather than give you a gift card. I thought about registering for the races I previous registered for, then canceling the original registrations.
Agreed! We haven’t been on property since late July, as my daughter is now 2 and won’t wear a mask. So we haven’t been doing any shopping/dining like we usually would. A refund back to the credit card would be much more appreciated right now. You’re not wrong for thinking of canceling/re-registering!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Remember re:medal designs. Those are only the "artist renderings" and just like the Summer Virtual Series - the medals looked WAY BETTER in person

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom