Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Texas84

Congrats. I missed A by that much! (Holds up fingers just a smidge apart) Not surprised, my training has been crud this year.

As I expected based on the map in the guide, G&H are being used as people who didn't provide proof of time. Worked out to keep them separate from those who did. Interesting to see if this new setup helps to weed out the people who are walking 2 minutes in. Not people doing a crazy run/walk pace that deserved to be in A, but people just walking.

So you got B?

I'm always amazed at those walkers in A. What is up with that? They must know someone.

LindsayLoves

I will be in B for Dopey. Only three weeks out from the 5k! :eek:

My training has been pretty sub par - I am only 6 months postpartum so I have a bit of an excuse on that front. I have done some long-ish runs but nowhere close to the level of prepared I was for Dopey 3 years ago. I am really trying not to compare where I was fitness wise for 2015 but I have been running long enough to know that my level of training means the marathon is going to be r-o-u-g-h. I will be able to finish but it won't be pretty.

I will be bringing the family along for the ride so this will be a very different runDisney weekend for me.

@surfsupdon - what's the concern about the weather? I haven't even looked yet...

surfsupdon

I will be in B for Dopey. Only three weeks out from the 5k! :eek:

My training has been pretty sub par - I am only 6 months postpartum so I have a bit of an excuse on that front. I have done some long-ish runs but nowhere close to the level of prepared I was for Dopey 3 years ago. I am really trying not to compare where I was fitness wise for 2015 but I have been running long enough to know that my level of training means the marathon is going to be r-o-u-g-h. I will be able to finish but it won't be pretty.

I will be bringing the family along for the ride so this will be a very different runDisney weekend for me.

@surfsupdon - what's the concern about the weather? I haven't even looked yet...
I hate the cold. I don't want it to be cold. I've run some cold halfs in January but can't bear to think about 4 early mornings cold. Yikes!!!

LindsayLoves

I hate the cold. I don't want it to be cold. I've run some cold halfs in January but can't bear to think about 4 early mornings cold. Yikes!!!

Phew I thought you were going to say hot and humid or cold and rainy. I can deal with plain old cold. I am definitely not a fan of waiting around for a race to start in the cold but can tolerate it once I get moving. This is a good reminder to stock up on some throwaway gear. I will also remember to check a bag with warm stuff for after the 5k and 10k. The first year I did Dopey I was in A for the 5 and 10k and figured I would just hop right on the bus after the race was over. Boy was I wrong about that. Due to the set up the for those races there were a ton of people still just starting the race in the area where the buses would've been. Extra incentive to take it slow and stop for alllll the pictures.

werac

Do the 10K runners find out corrals the weekend of? The website only has half marathon and up and being my first RunDisney event I just wasn't sure.

dreamfinder

Do the 10K runners find out corrals the weekend of? The website only has half marathon and up and being my first RunDisney event I just wasn't sure.

Yeah, it's not clear. Buried on the corral assignment sheet for Dopey runners is the line "Your 5k and 10k corral placement ..... will be identified at the time of Race Bib Pick-Up."

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

It's Florida cold, not Maine cold.....

And the weather has warmed up. In the mid 70s up here in NW Florida. Orlando will be at least 5 degrees warmer.

lukacseven

A few years ago, it was pretty close. Think it was 33 or so for the full.
2010. Start of the half 29 degrees & snow/sleet. The full was sunny & windy, but warmed up to 42 by the time I finished. So...yeh, it was a pretty miserable weekend for running. Fingers crossed the extended forecast holds up for 2018.

Texas84

More worried about it being too hot. I know how to layer. :) Biggest problem with freezing cold is the water stops turn into skating rinks.

I remember a few years ago running Dopey and large groups were huddled together before the 5K to keep warm. Survival instincts kicked in. The rest of the weekend was more bearable. But after that 5K I ran right for the bus.

dreamfinder

2010. Start of the half 29 degrees & snow/sleet. The full was sunny & windy, but warmed up to 42 by the time I finished. So...yeh, it was a pretty miserable weekend for running. Fingers crossed the extended forecast holds up for 2018.

I found it hilarious that the local news channels were showing things like "How to use your credit card to scrape off your car windows" when we were down there for that weekend.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I found it hilarious that the local news channels were showing things like "How to use your credit card to scrape off your car windows" when we were down there for that weekend.

Yeah, Floridians can handle heat, humidity, deluges, hurricanes. But throw in some frost on the windshield or god forbid, three snowflakes, and they freek out, lol.

Skippy

Hey guys, quick question about signs - are they allowed inside the parks at all? I'm trying to remember if I've seen any, say, just when you enter Epcot and I don't recall ever seeing them. Do you know if this is enforced or just a coincidence (most people camping out all day aren't those inside the parks)?

wdwjmp239

Yeah, Floridians can handle heat, humidity, deluges, hurricanes. But throw in some frost on the windshield or god forbid, three snowflakes, and they freek out, lol.

It's true. I'm originally from Long Island, NY so I know a thing or two about snow and ice. But, after being in Florida for almost 30 years, you tend to acclimate to the weather. During the summers, it gets disgustingly hot and humid down here. So, it seems the hotter and more humid it gets, the colder the winters feel. During the winters, it can get cold enough to put some frost on the ground and even ice up the windshield on the car (it got down to 39 degrees in Fort Myers a couple of weeks ago and there was some ice on the windshield). Right now, a mild "cool front" is pushing through which is supposed to drop the temps back into the upper 70s for a couple of days, but we'll be right back into the 80s by the middle of next week. The warmth I can deal with, the humidity (which there isn't really much of during the winter), is a whole other story.

Anyways, for those of you who are running Marathon Weekend! Good luck! Train safe! Run Safe! Hopefully, we're all tapering! I did a pretty leg crushing 22 mile run a couple of weeks ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Just anxious to get on that course, knock out 26.2 miles, and call it a day. Happy Holidays everybody! :)

Texas84

Here's your early Dopey forecast. I'm sure it will change.
dfore.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom