Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

I actually like the out and back part of the course - there's always seemed to be a decent spectator crowd and with the water stop, it felt quick to me. Last year I didn't mind the overpass either, maybe that's because I was so misserable back in '10 when it was 30 degrees and I was freezing at that point. What was disappointing for me was going through World Showcase. I thought the crowd was awesome going through HS and all the way until entering Epcot, but since the WS isn't open yet, there were no people, other than a few cast members. That was kind of boring lull until I got to Mexico.

Ah-hah! So I've finally found the advantage to being a slowpoke...by the time I got to the WS it was open, so I actually had some good crowd support! :D You're right though, the crowd in HS was great. Folks in AK didn't really seem to care either way and I remember the spectators in MK being really good as well, which makes sense since they were the ones that cared enough to get up early and cheer us on. :sohappy:

lukacseven

Ah-hah! So I've finally found the advantage to being a slowpoke...by the time I got to the WS it was open, so I actually had some good crowd support! :D You're right though, the crowd in HS was great. Folks in AK didn't really seem to care either way and I remember the spectators in MK being really good as well, which makes sense since they were the ones that cared enough to get up early and cheer us on. :sohappy:

I was surprised when I came out of AK backstage and the walkway to the main gate and through most of the parking lot was lined with people, as was most of the course from the exit of HS all the way to Epcot. In Epcot, there were a few cast members at the American Experience and then again at Mexico. The first spectators I see in the park are past the fountain waiting to try to cross the course.

You're right about Animal Kingdom, too. In the actual park, there aren't a lot of spectators - a few by Yak & Yeti and a few by Dinosaur, but that's about it. Since they moved the start time from 6:00 to 5:35 that makes a difference.

fmingo36

I actually like the out and back part of the course - there's always seemed to be a decent spectator crowd and with the water stop, it felt quick to me. Last year I didn't mind the overpass either, maybe that's because I was so misserable back in '10 when it was 30 degrees and I was freezing at that point. What was disappointing for me was going through World Showcase. I thought the crowd was awesome going through HS and all the way until entering Epcot, but since the WS isn't open yet, there were no people, other than a few cast members. That was kind of boring lull until I got to Mexico.

I had more fun with the crowd of people in HS and just outside the park. They were really into cheering us on. It was just what I needed to get through those final miles.

World Showcase was quieter but I loved that they had characters along the route and because they hadn't opened yet, there were no crowds! Got a few pictures during the last mile of the race. :)

Mad Stitch

Run Disney has posted 2013 course maps for all of the races except the full marathon. Could that mean a new route next year?

I wouldn’t be excited for this but at least they are trying. :shrug:

Downtown Disney® After Party
Downtown Disney Westside
4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 13, 2013
After all that training and mileage, it's time to indulge and unwind! Runners, join us at Downtown Disney Westside to celebrate your finish with friends and family. Enjoy food, music and last minute commemorative merchandise shopping. Admission to the Downtown Disney® After Party is open to race participants, their guests and the public.

MKCP 1985

My favorite was the post-race party at the Studios. Unfortunately, ticket sales didn't meet expectations, so it wasn't continued after 2010, I guess. :shrug:

The hype for this year's marathon is enticing. It will be hard to abstain from being a 20th anniversary runner. :lookaroun

dreamfinder

Hmm...so no "ran a previous Disney race" discount sent out this year? :shrug:

Apparently not. Between my family and I, we did every race except for the Everest one, and the only discount we got was the Visa one. Maybe they will release them later this year? Basically wait til the price goes up and then give a discount that equals the price increase?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Run Disney has posted 2013 course maps for all of the races except the full marathon. Could that mean a new route next year?

I wouldn’t be excited for this but at least they are trying. :shrug:

Yeah, but all they did for the half and 5k is take the princess 1/2 marathon weekend maps and remove the logos. The shields on the 5k route are used during that weekend quite a bit.

Ariel484

Apparently not. Between my family and I, we did every race except for the Everest one, and the only discount we got was the Visa one. Maybe they will release them later this year? Basically wait til the price goes up and then give a discount that equals the price increase?

That would be sort of lame if they did that. I'm very thankful for the Visa discount.

Yeah, but all they did for the half and 5k is take the princess 1/2 marathon weekend maps and remove the logos. The shields on the 5k route are used during that weekend quite a bit.

And the half course map still says "2012" on it...:shrug:

Ariel484

Texas84

We're going to register next payday. Anyone heard about the special bling? I haven't seen anything, just heard a rumor.

Wonder how that after party is going to work?

lukacseven

They tried the post race party at Pleasure Island back in '06 & '07 - they gave you a card in the goody bag for free entry to PI. They also had loose cards for spectators at the Expo. In '08 they started the Downtown Disney post race party, which meant they had boards where they posted all the results, but there were no discounts or perks. The 2010 party at HS was a great idea. I think if it wasn't 20 degrees, it would have been more enjoyable. Can't beat continuously walking onto TOT.

dreamfinder

Oops....guess the guy that was in charge of removing the logo forgot to change the date.

I seem to recall the same maps being used for most of the events since its the same course. They usually make small corrections to things like this as it gets closer to race day.

lukacseven

Prior to 2012, they used the color animated property map for the race courses - both the half and full on the same map. Last year, they used a different map (the current one), which is more to scale, but lacks the landmark details. One other goof was that when they published the 2012 race programs and originally posted the course, it lacked the mile markers. The website re-posted the revised map, but the programs had already been printed.

Friedchkn22

Run Disney visa link

Does anyone know how to get the link for the Disney visa For the Disney marathon or do they have it and can share ? I never saw the email that was sent with it ! Thanks in advance

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom