Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

50k? That's really getting up there. I'll add that one to my list. I'm curious to know more about the relay/marathon capping...is the marathon capped at the same number and then the relay people are added in, or are the relay teams part of the marathon cap? :shrug:

Anyhoo...registration update from 12/13/11. I am really surprised that the half hasn't reached capacity yet.

Walt Disney World® Marathon - 98% Full
Walt Disney World® Marathon Relay - 98% Full
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon - 99% Full
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge - 99% Full
Disney Family Fiesta 5K featuring the Three Caballeros - 96% Full
Disney Kids' Races - 97% Full (some sold out)

The bib numbers start at 1 for the marathon. I think bibs for the Half start in the mid 20K range. The bib numbers aren't duplicated from Saturday to Sunday.

The original Goofy cap was 3K, but it was expanded to 12K for the 5th anniversary and remained as such since. I would imagine the Goofy slots are accounted for in the total cap for the half & full.

Last year I believe there were around 22K finishers for the half and around 15K for the marathon - those included the Goofy runners. Don't know what the exact cap numbers are, but I know in talking to the race organizers the cap for open online registration doesn't include charity groups, like Team In Training.

MKCP 1985

Not any more. Reading the race directions say it has changed. Only 1 bib, 1 bag, 3 shirts, 1 B-Tag.

Man, a person takes a year off and they change up the whole system! :ROFLOL:

I'll go over and sit with the group that says, "back when I used to run the Disney marathon . . . " I thought it would take me at least a couple of years to get there, but nope. :lol:

surfsupdon

WHAT TO WEAR & LOGISTICS QUESTION

I have only run the runDisney warm weather races (Wine&Dine, Tower of Terror, Everest). This will be my first for potentially very cold temperatures.

-What is the pre race area like? Do they have tents or heat lamps? DJ dance party to stay warm, lol? No, I did not purchase a tix for the VIP experience.

-Do they have light breakfast food--bananas or granola bars? Or do I have to bring my own?

-What do you do after you hand in your bag for bagcheck, but before the race starts? How do you stay warm? Lots of layers and just peel them off as you run? Wear old clothes for layers?

Thanks for your help---any other tips and suggestions for me? I'm a pretty serious runner, and look forward to a great race.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We wear layers of old clothes, then shed them as we warm up.

Unless you paid for the VIP tent, there are no heat lamps or warming stations, so dress warm

Food courts at the resorts are open absudly early for grab and go items. Last year, I was able to score coffee and a banana that I ate on the bus enroute to the start area.

After you drop off bags, there is a DJ there to keep the crowd entertained. I just tried to keep moving around to stay loose. There are a ton of port-o-lets, but the lines are very long, so I advise getting in line for them early and often, as your hydration will start working through you.

Once you get to the corrals the mass of people helps a little bit. It keeps the wind off of you, and there are tall trees along the side of the road which help as well.

Ariel484

WHAT TO WEAR & LOGISTICS QUESTION

I have only run the runDisney warm weather races (Wine&Dine, Tower of Terror, Everest). This will be my first for potentially very cold temperatures.

-What is the pre race area like? Do they have tents or heat lamps? DJ dance party to stay warm, lol? No, I did not purchase a tix for the VIP experience.

This is based off of my memories of the 2011 Princess Half Marathon...you're dropped off at an area with a DJ, screens for pictures, bag check, porta potties, etc. Only tents are the race retreat and bag check...no heat lamps.

-Do they have light breakfast food--bananas or granola bars? Or do I have to bring my own?

I think you only get breakfast food if you sign up for the race retreat. I brought my own (bagel, peanut butter, granola bar).

-What do you do after you hand in your bag for bagcheck, but before the race starts? How do you stay warm? Lots of layers and just peel them off as you run? Wear old clothes for layers?

After you go through bag check, you have about a 20-minute walk to the corrals. You go through a backstage area that has more porta potties. I got lucky with the Princess Half weather last year...the walk was enough to keep me warm until I got to the corrals. If you wear layers, you can shed them before or during the race (I remember there were containers for the old clothes that people were mistaking for trash cans) and Disney will collect the clothes, launder them and donate them to charity. Once you get to the corrals your bib is checked to make sure you're in the proper place, and you just wait for the start. There's a couple of runDisney hosts that banter back and forth and will do some interviews, and they play "pump-up" music.

Thanks for your help---any other tips and suggestions for me? I'm a pretty serious runner, and look forward to a great race.

If you're concerned about the weather at all, I'd suggest bringing as many layers as you want, and to bring your own breakfast. And don't forget a camera! :sohappy: I'm sure other people here will have more tips for you.

Texas84

W&D had discounted park passes for runners and family. Are they doing that for Marathon? I haven't seen anything about it. Just packages.

Mad Stitch

Everything except the 5K and pasta party has sold out.

Walt Disney World® Marathon - SOLD OUT
Walt Disney World® Marathon Relay - SOLD OUT
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon - SOLD OUT
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge - SOLD OUT
Disney Family Fiesta 5K featuring the Three Caballeros - 99% Full
Disney Kids' Races - SOLD OUT
Pasta in the Park Party - 89% Full

Ariel484

W&D had discounted park passes for runners and family. Are they doing that for Marathon? I haven't seen anything about it. Just packages.

I haven't seen anything like that. I was thinking maybe the special holiday announcement had something to do with that (like a continuation of last year's Marathon Monday or whatever). :shrug:

Everything except the 5K and pasta party has sold out.

Walt Disney World® Marathon - SOLD OUT
Walt Disney World® Marathon Relay - SOLD OUT
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon - SOLD OUT
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge - SOLD OUT
Disney Family Fiesta 5K featuring the Three Caballeros - 99% Full
Disney Kids' Races - SOLD OUT
Pasta in the Park Party - 89% Full

Hmm...all on the same day? That's interesting.

Ariel484

I'm getting antsy for the race and started googling around for any reports/information, and found people on another board reporting that their bib numbers are in the 70k range for the relay...so here's my little updated list:

Full Bib #s

Goofy Bib #s

Half Bib #s

Relay Bib #s

ETA: People are reporting 5K bib numbers in the 3000s and 5000s...so I guess they are in a different system?

surfsupdon

This is the one regret I have with the Marathon Weekend, and why it took me so long to run this race.

I love an afterparty!!

Tower13K, Everest 5K, and Wine&Dine all have exclusive afterparties. They really are the best.

Marathon Monday was a great perk, too bad it went away. An event to bring all competitors together after a race in comradery is super!!

dreamfinder

ETA: People are reporting 5K bib numbers in the 3000s and 5000s...so I guess they are in a different system?

Well, my 5k bib is in the 200's, and another member of my party has one in the 2000's. But remember, the 5k is run as a "fun run" and isn't officially timed, so no chips needed. It's almost looking like they got a bulk deal on sequential b-tags. So it was cheaper for them to buy 1-80,000 instead of 1-35,000 and 1-35,000. Beyond that though, keeping the different types of runners clearly separate makes sense. They need a quick and easy way to check for the relay runners, so I can see them having numbers well outside the realm of the other runners. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were a different color/shape as well.

dreamfinder

Whoa, forgot about Marathon Monday! Guess they have dropped that this year.

I really think they added that last year as a way to try to boost sales mid registration. This year they switched to the graduated pricing scheme. The first is a tactic to try to convince people to sign up who were on the fence, while the second is a way to get you to sign up early before you have a chance to schedule something else.

Ariel484

Well, my 5k bib is in the 200's, and another member of my party has one in the 2000's. But remember, the 5k is run as a "fun run" and isn't officially timed, so no chips needed. It's almost looking like they got a bulk deal on sequential b-tags. So it was cheaper for them to buy 1-80,000 instead of 1-35,000 and 1-35,000. Beyond that though, keeping the different types of runners clearly separate makes sense. They need a quick and easy way to check for the relay runners, so I can see them having numbers well outside the realm of the other runners. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were a different color/shape as well.

Ah, I didn't realize that the 5Ks aren't timed...so that makes sense. I'm sure you're right about the relay runners being "marked" differently. I did a marathon relay in 2009 where our bibs were hot pink, while the marathon bibs were yellow and the half bibs were silver or something.

I really think they added that last year as a way to try to boost sales mid registration. This year they switched to the graduated pricing scheme. The first is a tactic to try to convince people to sign up who were on the fence, while the second is a way to get you to sign up early before you have a chance to schedule something else.

I'm sure you're right. I only guessed it was Marathon Monday coming back since they just sort of casually mentioned this "gift" about a week back, where them building up to the Tinkerbell announcement was, like, a month-long ordeal. Then again, we all know how well that turned out :lol: :lookaroun

SpongeScott

One other pre-race note. When they start making calls to head to the corrals, move sooner than later. Last year I left around 5:00 and it was shoulder-to-shoulder people on Saturday morning going through the backstage area, barely moving. If you are claustrophobic, it could become unnerving. It also took about 40 minutes to make the walk, getting there just in time for the official race start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom