Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

atrus79

Hey everyone,

I'm a longtime reader and although I don't post often, I take everyone's opinion here very seriously. Going forward I plan on being more active here ... especially since I just got registered for the Dopey!

A year ago this time I was not a runner at all. I decided that my newborn son needed a healthy Daddy and to honor my mom's cancer survival I pushed myself by signing up for the Komen 5K last November. I started running in July and finished my first 5K with a 30:15 time. Over those months of training I fell in love with running and lost about 40 pounds of laziness. This past weekene I ran my first Half Marathon ... the Rutgers Unite in New Jersey and finished with a time of 2 hours and 22 minutes. I have already registered for two more halfs this year as I know I can improve my time from this last race.

Anyway, the next 9 months will be a journey of sorts and I can't wait to share it all with you. Looking forward to running the Dopey with all of you!

Ariel484

In for Dopey! That hurt...$$$$$$
Yeah, I tried to add things up in my head to get some sort of estimate and prepare myself, but I was off by about $40...forgot to factor in the Active.com fees :mad:
I decided to not get the jacket simply because I budgeted for other extras. But if it's like the other commemorative items in years past, they will still sell it at the expo.
Yeah, I know I'll be spending more money at the expo...:greedy: You're right about them selling the jackets there too, they do it with those necklaces, and I've seen the pins as well.
@Ariel484 - in the scheme of things would you rather have a race specific Dooney or a jacket? I think I know which one you'd go for.
Why, whatever are you implying? :D

The bag. Always the bag.

Although I will say, I didn't love 2014's pattern and I didn't love the one they had for the Princess Half either. I'll be curious to see what they have this year.
Husband and I are in for the Half! I texted him to tell him we were registered and he responded with "yay..." He's so excited, ha ha!
Woohoo!!!!

Ariel484

Hey everyone,

I'm a longtime reader and although I don't post often, I take everyone's opinion here very seriously. Going forward I plan on being more active here ... especially since I just got registered for the Dopey!

A year ago this time I was not a runner at all. I decided that my newborn son needed a healthy Daddy and to honor my mom's cancer survival I pushed myself by signing up for the Komen 5K last November. I started running in July and finished my first 5K with a 30:15 time. Over those months of training I fell in love with running and lost about 40 pounds of laziness. This past weekene I ran my first Half Marathon ... the Rutgers Unite in New Jersey and finished with a time of 2 hours and 22 minutes. I have already registered for two more halfs this year as I know I can improve my time from this last race.

Anyway, the next 9 months will be a journey of sorts and I can't wait to share it all with you. Looking forward to running the Dopey with all of you!
Congratulations and welcome!! :)

JillC LI

Hey everyone,

Great post. Welcome to the boards. Brave man jumping from your first Half straight to Dopey.
Check out the "What Did You Do" thread daily - it keeps us all on our toes!

dreamfinder

I was wondering about this - why do we think they took it away for all of the other events? I also read they took away the preferred corral placement perk, which I FULLY support.

Wouldn't be surprised if they finally got a bit concerned about allocating all the Half & Full slots to Goofy and Dopey, never mind other things.

Ariel484

Wouldn't be surprised if they finally got a bit concerned about allocating all the Half & Full slots to Goofy and Dopey, never mind other things.
That very well could be. I'll be interested to see what happens next week (particularly with 5K and 10K registration) and what the numbers look like for this year as far as number of Dopey runners in those races. I also read that they did NOT have early registration for the 5K...I don't remember seeing it but I wasn't looking, I just zeroed in on the event I wanted to sign up for. I wonder if that was a way to prevent the 5K from selling out quickly?

ETA: Just looked again and the 5K link is there on the AP page, so I must have read that people registering through DVC couldn't see it? :confused: There goes that theory!

Last edited:

Texas84

A friend heard that Disney Visa will have a discount for the regular registration. I haven't heard anything but too late for me I guess.

We need to petition runDisney to bring back the morning Epcot portion and take out some of that ESPN Maze of Infinity. I'd rather deal with the Osceola Hairpin from Hell. Spaceship Earth and World Showcase in the morning is amazing.

Mad Stitch

We need to petition runDisney to bring back the morning Epcot portion and take out some of that ESPN Maze of Infinity. I'd rather deal with the Osceola Hairpin from Hell. Spaceship Earth and World Showcase in the morning is amazing.

I like your idea and support it, but I don't see them doing it though. Getting the runners on the way to and out of the MK and AK earlier creates less congestion for the park guests. I never hurts to try though.

Ariel484

I fully support this idea, but I'm with @Mad Stitch - I can't see them going back to it. I looooooved the early morning Epcot portion of the old course. It was amazing and I'm glad I got to do it once.

In other news, I just logged into the passholder section and it looks like the pre-registration spots for the 10K are full. It doesn't say that for any other races...as usual, I'm very interested to see how quickly things fill up on Tuesday.

Katherine

If anyone lives in the Boston area or is running Boston, they are registering runners for Marathon Weekend at the Boston Marathon Expo! I've heard you get a sling bag and button if you register at the runDisney booth!

Katherine

I just looked at the Boston Qualifying times. I might qualify when I'm in my 70s or something. MAYBE. Probably not. :p
So it's a long term goal then! :D

Regardless all are welcome to check out the expo, apparently there is a constant line because there are only 2 laptops being used for sign ups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom