Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Surferboy567

Another thing I purchased a dopey shadow box from Fond Memories Graphics at the expo for my first Dopey Challenge! Figured I would want to commentate this occasion.

Anyone ever buy from them in the past from the expo?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I’ve been part of a shortened Wine and Dine course. It stinks!! Especially when they force you indoors as a runner and shorten the course, but theme parks remain open on property.

I understand the principle. But don’t understand the hypocrisy.

The Half a Half....

But people in the parks can seek shelter, whereas runners will be out in the open.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So sorry for y’all (especially you @Surferboy567 with your first Dopey Challenge). Stay safe everyone!

This is what's coming... Which is why rD cut the race in half. That's 6 AM.

1000005235.png

Surferboy567

Disney did the best they could do with that situation. That was a rough run. The course was narrow on the roads and lead to missed intervals decreasing the opportunity for runs affecting the time. The constant ponding of the off-ramps also compounded the problems. It did become fun once we hit EPCOT. I finished just as the storms started to hit.

They appeared to simply give up on the waves at the start of the race leading to a very narrow course. I was toward the beginning of E corral and heard a race official said that after we went they were just going to drop the barricades and let all of F in. This lead to simply too many people to run/walk as moving over become a hassle.

Good character stops though, even though I didn’t make any.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
That was a rough run. The course was narrow on the roads and lead to missed intervals decreasing the opportunity for runs affecting the time. The constant ponding of the off-ramps also compounded the problems. It did become fun once we hit EPCOT. I finished just as the storms started to hit.

They appeared to simply give up on the waves at the start of the race leading to a very narrow course. I was toward the beginning of E corral and heard a race official said that after we went they were just going to drop the barricades and let all of F in. This lead to simply too many people to run/walk as moving over become a hassle.

Good character stops though, even though I didn’t make any.

I suspected that rD might have had to just let people start and get them out on the course so runners could finish safely.

This was radar over an hour ago. That purple dot is WDW.

1000005244.png

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Nice job @Surferboy567 now will you hit a treadmill or some sidewalks?

I know it might be hard, but I’d think you’d WANT to do this to get those Dopey miles in!! Your journey has been fun to watch and I want you at 48.6!
This is my wife's first Dopey and she ran more after to get in her full half.

Personally, I think the big challenge is the full after fourth early wake up. Running 13.1 or 7 on day 3 is, imo, negligible when running 26.2 the last day. My point is that I hope that Dopey runners don't attach an asterix.

That said, I do really feel for the people that this was their first half marathon.

Figment82

I finished my 6.1 around SSR/OKW. It was great to see so many fellow runners getting out there despite the rain. It stinks, but it is what it is, and it’s not my first rodeo with a modified course. 😊 I had fun, although the first four miles being overpasses and ramps suuuuucked, lol!

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!

Surferboy567

Nice job @Surferboy567 now will you hit a treadmill or some sidewalks?

I know it might be hard, but I’d think you’d WANT to do this to get those Dopey miles in!! Your journey has been fun to watch and I want you at 48.6!
I may head out a little later and head to crescent lake and get a few miles in probably will be the actual distance or close to it.

Probably going to take it easy though and not run it too hard. On pace though.

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
View attachment 761866

By the time I got around the World Showcase, they had cut it off and had shortened the course further. Runners were being routed directly toward Mission Space joining us other runners.

Wet day... but the rain looks to be done as of now (11:45am) at least for now...

Hadn't heard about that yet! I'm sure that was a bit chaotic.

But, now it looks like you are enjoying a Guinness, so all is right in the world. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom