Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

THIS. I was near someone who was very audibly complaining that walkers are not runners and shouldn't get a medal. I told this person that if it wasn't for run/walk I'd never be a "runner" or be able to finish a distance greater than a 10k.
If you complete the given distance within the required time, then you've earned the medal. It shouldn't matter if you ran, walked, both, neither, crawled, skipped rope, juggled, dribbled a basketball, etc.. Virtual runs are one discussion, but as far as in-person races go, I feel like finishers get medals. I've been doing runDisney events for 17 years and only recently did I find out that swept participants still got a medal. While I've been very lucky to never have to drop out of a race, I have had to stop, walk and struggle to finish due to injuries. I think if I was unable to finish, then I would not feel right accepting a medal.

RunningKoen

If you complete the given distance within the required time, then you've earned the medal. It shouldn't matter if you ran, walked, both, neither, crawled, skipped rope, juggled, dribbled a basketball, etc.. Virtual runs are one discussion, but as far as in-person races go, I feel like finishers get medals. I've been doing runDisney events for 17 years and only recently did I find out that swept participants still got a medal. While I've been very lucky to never have to drop out of a race, I have had to stop, walk and struggle to finish due to injuries. I think if I was unable to finish, then I would not feel right accepting a medal.

If we're all that accepting about walking/walkers during a 'running' race, it isn't that hard to be that accepting for virtuals aswell.

Any discussion about that is in stark contrast of how open and accepting running can/should be :)

With my current level of general fitness, it's easy to break a lance for walkers, as I'll definitely need some walking breaks for my marathon.
That entire 'no training' approach isnt that succesfull (shocker, I know ...)

DCBaker

Premium Member
A Virtual Queue will be used for the runDisney Merchandise Shop on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.

Here are the details -

On January 4, 2023, a virtual queue will open for the runDisney Merchandise Shop at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
We’re so excited to welcome runners to the 2023 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend—especially since we’re celebrating 30 Years Running! We’ve also introduced an exciting enhancement to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo this race season. Attendees looking to purchase event weekend merchandise on the first day of the Expo will be asked to join a virtual queue. This feature allows you to spend more time enjoying your Expo experience and visiting with Expo vendors—all while you wait in line for merchandise, virtually.

How to Join the Virtual Queue
In order to use the virtual queue on day one of the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo, you’ll need to download the My Disney Experience app and ensure location services are turned on.
  • Step 1: Open the My Disney Experience app and navigate to the Virtual Queues section on the Welcome Screen.
  • Step 2: Select “Join Virtual Queue” on the My Queues screen and then select “runDisney Merchandise Shop.” Guests can request to join the virtual queue at 8:30 AM Eastern Time on January 4, 2023.
  • Step 3:Select the number of Guests (up to 6 people total) in your shopping party. Select “Join Virtual Queue” once more.
    Note: All members of your shopping party must be added to your My Disney Experience Friends & Family list prior to joining the virtual queue. Learn more about adding Friends & Family to your account.
  • Step 4: If there are open spots in the virtual queue, you’ll see a confirmation screen with both a QR code and an estimated wait time. Your estimated wait time will be based on the Expo opening time of 10:00 AM Eastern Time, so don’t be alarmed if your wait appears long!
  • Step 5: You’ll receive a push notification directly to your mobile device when your group is ready to return. This push notification will also present you with a link to your digital entry code. Once received, you will have one hour to arrive at the AdventHealth Arena at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
  • Step 6: Upon your arrival, follow the signs to the check-in area and prepare to show the Cast Member your digital entry code or MagicBand.
Important Information
  • Gold and Platinum Club runDisney Members do not need to join the virtual queue to access their early shopping windows during the first day of the Expo.
  • Guests can join the virtual queue from the comfort of their hotel room or home, up to approximately 45 miles away from Walt Disney World Resort.
  • Each Guest enrolled will receive a digital entry code to present for entry. If you are unable to find your digital entry code, you can locate it by going to the 3-line hamburger icon in the app (☰) and selecting “Virtual Queues.” From here, you will be able to access your digital entry code.
  • The virtual queue is only needed for the runDisney Merchandise Shop on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
  • Merchandise is subject to availability and inventory may sell out.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A Virtual Queue will be used for the runDisney Merchandise Shop on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.

Here are the details -

On January 4, 2023, a virtual queue will open for the runDisney Merchandise Shop at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
We’re so excited to welcome runners to the 2023 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend—especially since we’re celebrating 30 Years Running! We’ve also introduced an exciting enhancement to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo this race season. Attendees looking to purchase event weekend merchandise on the first day of the Expo will be asked to join a virtual queue. This feature allows you to spend more time enjoying your Expo experience and visiting with Expo vendors—all while you wait in line for merchandise, virtually.

How to Join the Virtual Queue
In order to use the virtual queue on day one of the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo, you’ll need to download the My Disney Experience app and ensure location services are turned on.
  • Step 1: Open the My Disney Experience app and navigate to the Virtual Queues section on the Welcome Screen.
  • Step 2: Select “Join Virtual Queue” on the My Queues screen and then select “runDisney Merchandise Shop.” Guests can request to join the virtual queue at 8:30 AM Eastern Time on January 4, 2023.
  • Step 3:Select the number of Guests (up to 6 people total) in your shopping party. Select “Join Virtual Queue” once more.
    Note: All members of your shopping party must be added to your My Disney Experience Friends & Family list prior to joining the virtual queue. Learn more about adding Friends & Family to your account.
  • Step 4: If there are open spots in the virtual queue, you’ll see a confirmation screen with both a QR code and an estimated wait time. Your estimated wait time will be based on the Expo opening time of 10:00 AM Eastern Time, so don’t be alarmed if your wait appears long!
  • Step 5: You’ll receive a push notification directly to your mobile device when your group is ready to return. This push notification will also present you with a link to your digital entry code. Once received, you will have one hour to arrive at the AdventHealth Arena at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
  • Step 6: Upon your arrival, follow the signs to the check-in area and prepare to show the Cast Member your digital entry code or MagicBand.
Important Information
  • Gold and Platinum Club runDisney Members do not need to join the virtual queue to access their early shopping windows during the first day of the Expo.
  • Guests can join the virtual queue from the comfort of their hotel room or home, up to approximately 45 miles away from Walt Disney World Resort.
  • Each Guest enrolled will receive a digital entry code to present for entry. If you are unable to find your digital entry code, you can locate it by going to the 3-line hamburger icon in the app (☰) and selecting “Virtual Queues.” From here, you will be able to access your digital entry code.
  • The virtual queue is only needed for the runDisney Merchandise Shop on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
  • Merchandise is subject to availability and inventory may sell out.

Man, Disney really loves virtual queues.

OG Runner

We have entered a new level of hell. We now have to get into a virtual queue to buy merchandise.
Isn't it bad enough that they don't usually have enough merchandise to begin with. I always wanted
a pair of the New Balance Disney running shoes. Never got them, as they were always sold out by the
time I got to them. I saw plenty of them on Ebay for more than twice retail price. Add onto that the
wonderful addition of the Disney Running Club members. Pay RunDisney an extra $400.00 a year and
you have an advantage with getting merchandise, as well as, corral placement you haven't earned
other than paying for it. I guess I wish I had the disposable income to buy my way in.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Here's my $.02 on the VQ.

I worked at ESPN on the 1st day of the Expo for wine/dine and by 2-3p the VQ wasn't even necessary. It prevents LONG lines from forming and people from camping out at 3am. When I was off at 4pm...MOST of the merchandise was still available. It's not the end of the world everyone is talking about. It's fine.

OG Runner

I worked at ESPN on the 1st day of the Expo for wine/dine and by 2-3p the VQ wasn't even necessary. It prevents LONG lines from forming and people from camping out at 3am. When I was off at 4pm...MOST of the merchandise was still available. It's not the end of the world everyone is talking about. It's fine.

Unfortunately, most times when I have run the marathon, I am not there for the 1st day of the Expo. By the time I have
gotten there things have always been pretty picked over. This is going back to 2014. Each time, after the marathon I have
seen a good selection of the merchandise on Ebay for about twice the price. Now I here if you are a member of the RunDisney
Club you get special entry also. You pay and additional $400.00 a year and you can get a chance at the merchandise and
start in a corral ahead of runners you have no right to be starting in front of.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Unfortunately, most times when I have run the marathon, I am not there for the 1st day of the Expo. By the time I have
gotten there things have always been pretty picked over. This is going back to 2014. Each time, after the marathon I have
seen a good selection of the merchandise on Ebay for about twice the price. Now I here if you are a member of the RunDisney
Club you get special entry also. You pay and additional $400.00 a year and you can get a chance at the merchandise and
start in a corral ahead of runners you have no right to be starting in front of.
I'm not talking about CRD just virtual queue for merch on day 1. I have a WHOLE other opinion of CRD.

GimpYancIent

The prescribed distance of the event does not matter nor does how fast a person completes it. Actually, the slower a person takes to accomplish the distance the more opportunity to enjoy the course and its surroundings plus savor the experience. It's all about completing the prescribed distance within the prescribed completion time and enjoying the satisfaction of finishing the event. The medal is memorabilia a tangible reminder of the accomplishment, enjoy!

Rteetz

It definitely went better than I expected for W&D. However I do think things will be a little worse for MW. MW is so much bigger. Given the higher numbers for W&D, there is no doubt MW will be up this year as well. I totally understand preventing people from getting there at 3AM. I got to the expo right at open for W&D and it definitely created more lines for bibs and such. I don't normally wait in a line for bibs and there definitely was one this time. The randomness of it is something I don't like. I don't want to sign up for a time and get say 1PM or later. I want to get on with my day. I wish it was more like an ILL and you could select a time slot. This would help those traveling in I think too.

surfsupdon

Hey runners, I am getting conflicting answers, and I trust you the most. This is for Marathon Weekend, Saturday.

If I have a Park Hopper and a Park Pass to DHS, can I sign up at 7a for Guardians to get a time after 2p?

OG Runner

Thank you Steve! So I will Genie+ Slinky at 7a, ILL both Guardians and Rise at 7a, then 2 hours after park opening or after I tap into Slinky, I can book genie+ Tower?

Sound good everyone??

It makes me happy to see someone enjoying the parks during Marathon Weekend. I honestly am impressed by people doing the
Dopey. I just would not want to use 4 days of my vacation on the races. I usually just run the Marathon.

surfsupdon

It makes me happy to see someone enjoying the parks during Marathon Weekend. I honestly am impressed by people doing the
Dopey. I just would not want to use 4 days of my vacation on the races. I usually just run the Marathon.
A runD weekend is actually a more relaxed weekend for me, even as a Dopey! Lots of pool and minimal parks.

This year is a Half Marathon for me, and one full day in DHS/Epcot with a NEWBIE!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I’ve got an AP (until August anyway) so maximizing park time isn’t as important to me as the satisfaction of finishing that fourth day in a row, but I agree about getting a good dose of park time in regardless!

We’re planning on early dinner at Sanaa after the expo; HS/MK on Thurs from open til about 5-6 after the 5K; Epcot/MK Fri til 5-6 after the 10K; I’m ditching everyone Saturday after the half to take laps in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon until dinner at Disney Springs; then AK/Epcot Sunday after the marathon til close. We’re staying at Pop, so might skyliner for one last Spaceship Earth ride before we drive out Monday morning. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom