Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I get it, I personally only did them when on-site was not an option, but it really does come down to personal preference and to each their own. A lot of the reason I don’t do any more virtual is that you reach a point where you’ve got more medals and t-shirts than you know what to do with and have done lots of on site races already.

Virtual can be a good way to get excited about running as someone is first getting into running (don’t be that guy that has to rain on their parade), or building up savings/vacation to eventually race on-site, or just because they enjoy it. Whether it’s a couple of months before or after doesn’t much matter, runDisney gives a hugely liberal finishing window if I remember correctly, so it’s not really valid to say it doesn’t count if not run at the same time as the on-site race (you certainly won’t have your medal anytime close to then anyway).

As for training runs, anything can be considered training or a race. Many folks (including me) plan participation in races to coincide with training. Does my recent half marathon in Asheville not count because I signed up for it specifically because it coincided with my training for NYC? I did the distance and treated it as a race beforehand just like those that do a virtual as part of their training for something bigger.

Well said.

OG Runner

Not everyone has the luxury of time to participate in on property races. And sometimes life happens. So if rD gives runners the option, it's no one's concern but that individual runner. I wish rD would provide the option to switch from an on property to a virtual race, if something catastrophic happens. Like a hurricane.

The were people on my cruise last weekend that couldn't get to Port Canaveral due to Hurricane Nicole. DCL delayed boarding and departure so that passengers could arrive safely. And was probably refunding those who just couldn't get there due to flight cancellations and MCO closing until early afternoon the day before departure.
Again under certain circumstances there are reason such as that.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It does open. It’s likely you just weren’t quick enough. It’s very hard sometimes to get it in time.
Yep, at this point thousands of people are getting the alerts from Twitter and/or Telegram, but there may only be 1-2 bibs put back in inventory when they open it back up each time, so there seems to be lots of competition and only whoever completes the form first will get the spot (so skip proof of time and make sure that as much of your credit card/address/etc as possible are on autofill on your phone to give yourself the best shot!).

Although, I will say that it does get annoying when they do site maintenance and it briefly appears like all races are open and your phone and watch buzz nonstop for a few minutes alerting each and every race as open and immediately sold out 😁

Rteetz

Yep, at this point thousands of people are getting the alerts from Twitter and/or Telegram, but there may only be 1-2 bibs put back in inventory when they open it back up each time, so there seems to be lots of competition and only whoever completes the form first will get the spot (so skip proof of time and make sure that as much of your credit card/address/etc as possible are on autofill on your phone to give yourself the best shot!).

Although, I will say that it does get annoying when they do site maintenance and it briefly appears like all races are open and your phone and watch buzz nonstop for a few minutes alerting each and every race as open and immediately sold out 😁
Yeah it took me a few tries before I was able to get the wine and dine 5K.

OG Runner

But why is it bothering you? Is it because of the leaderboard??!
I could care less about the leaderboard. I asked to be taken off of it. It was just a fun thing to do.
I know how many Disney miles I have run. An example of what bothers me is signing up for a race
(virtually) and then saying you ran the race, though you put in the distance months after or before
the race when it was convenient. I ran the 2020 Disney Marathon. I am from the Northeast. A month
before I ran a half marathon, it was 8 degrees at the start. When I ran the marathon it was 85 degrees
with high humidity. I didn't finish. I did not collect my medal, though I was told, "You paid for it." You
run the race, when the race is run, even if it is virtually. Running when ever you feel like it, or it is
convenient is not running the race. Again, this is my opinion, and "you" can make all the faces you
want and I really don't care and it isn't going to change my opinion.

lukacseven

I could care less about the leaderboard. I asked to be taken off of it. It was just a fun thing to do.
I know how many Disney miles I have run. An example of what bothers me is signing up for a race
(virtually) and then saying you ran the race, though you put in the distance months after or before
the race when it was convenient. I ran the 2020 Disney Marathon. I am from the Northeast. A month
before I ran a half marathon, it was 8 degrees at the start. When I ran the marathon it was 85 degrees
with high humidity. I didn't finish. I did not collect my medal, though I was told, "You paid for it." You
run the race, when the race is run, even if it is virtually. Running when ever you feel like it, or it is
convenient is not running the race. Again, this is my opinion, and "you" can make all the faces you
want and I really don't care and it isn't going to change my opinion.
I tend to agree, but people can have their own opinions, too. For me, personally, I'm just not buying a Disney medal and a shirt for running around my neighborhood when I could do it anytime for free. I prefer to run at WDW during the actual race. I like the Expo, the pre-race, race, post-race experience that's tough to re-create elsewhere.

OG Runner

There is nothing “convenient” about running a half marathon. At any time of the year.

Please be honest. You even said you were running the race when it fit into your training schedule.
You have also at other times mentioned you either ran or did not run a distance because of the weather.
I put in at least 4 runs over 13 miles in training for the 2022 Disney Marathon. I didn't try and tell Disney
they should give me a Goofy Challenge medal after I ran the marathon.

Surferboy567

Please be honest. You even said you were running the race when it fit into your training schedule.
You have also at other times mentioned you either ran or did not run a distance because of the weather.
I put in at least 4 runs over 13 miles in training for the 2022 Disney Marathon. I didn't try and tell Disney
I ran the distance, in this case a half marathon, I earned this medal. I’ve always been extremely transparent about my virtual races and I have never lied. So I’ve always been “honest”.

Also, I’ve never claimed to run a full marathon, of any kind. I have no full marathon medals.

I take virtual races seriously. Every one of my virtual races, I have ran the distance as I would a normal race. I have never not ran the distance the medal corresponds to for each virtual race.

Last edited:

OG Runner

I ran the distance, in this case a half marathon, I earned this medal. I’ve always been extremely transparent about my virtual races and I have never lied. So I’ve always been “honest”.

Also, I’ve never claimed to run a full marathon, of any kind. I have no full marathon medals.

I take virtual races seriously. Every one of my virtual races, I have ran the distance as I would a normal race. I have never not ran the distance the medal corresponds to for each virtual race.
I am sorry, I really do not mean to pick on you. I have been running, on and off, for over 45 years.
When you wrote last week or the week before that you had run the Half Marathon, for Marathon Weekend
2023, it hit me the wrong way. Running the distance two months before the race date is not running the
race. Again, you noted it fit into your training schedule, which is not how races are run. If you are training for
a race you set up your training to coincide with the race, not the other way around.

lukacseven

I think the question is: If someone does a training run of 13.1 miles, how does that differ from someone who runs a virtual half marathon? Is it because you'd paid for the medal? If it doesn't matter where or when you run, then I'm trying to understand why all the virtual runners are getting so upset and worried that their race "counts."

RunningKoen

The discussions about virtuals lately (in whatever topic/context) makes me kinda sad.

I fel in love with the general vibe from both the in person races and this online community. Welcome, inclusive and (mostly) free from judgement. That runDisney feeling of 'no matter who you are or in what outfit you run, in what way or in what pace, you're welcome to do it and we're one big active family' vibe seems to get lost in that discussion.

We're not discussing if a 'walker' with 16m/mile pace should or shouldnt get a medal because they never 'ran' a bit and its 'run'Disney either, arent we?

(To keep it lightly: someone speedwalking passed me during the last race and I have a newfound respect for their technique.)

Surferboy567

The discussions about virtuals lately (in whatever topic/context) makes me kinda sad.

I fel in love with the general vibe from both the in person races and this online community. Welcome, inclusive and (mostly) free from judgement. That runDisney feeling of 'no matter who you are or in what outfit you run, in what way or in what pace, you're welcome to do it and we're one big active family' vibe seems to get lost in that discussion.

We're not discussing if a 'walker' with 16m/mile pace should or shouldnt get a medal because they never 'ran' a bit and its 'run'Disney either, arent we?

(To keep it lightly: someone speedwalking passed me during the last race and I have a newfound respect for their technique.)
I have run/walked every one of my races (both virtual and in person). I even train using the Galloway Plan, for me it’s the best way of tackling a race.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

When I started training for my 1st Marathon at WDW last year (that I sadly missed) I combined Galloway's run/walk method with Hal Gideon's as the miles started adding up. I actually ran faster times overall with added 1 minute walks after 3miles.

And I'm waiting (hoping) for runDisney to finally offer a walking registration for races. I've seen a couple cities offer it, a way to curb walkers from blocking runners that start behind them. Speed walkers, that's an art form.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
And I'm waiting (hoping) for runDisney to finally offer a walking registration for races. I've seen a couple cities offer it, a way to curb walkers from blocking runners that start behind them. Speed walkers, that's an art form.

It does help but not completely - depends on how strict the race is with policing the starting blocks.

My pet peeve with races that have a walking component lies with the walkers who don’t understand they signed up to WALK the race. I’m a slow runner so I am in the starting block just before the walkers and will get passed occasionally by speed walkers (as you said, it is an art form!) or Nordic walkers (these especially if it is a hilly course because they can use their poles to help propel them on the inclines). What I don‘t like is getting passed by someone with a walking bib who RUNS past me when I am doing one of my walking breaks. Runners are allowed to walk; walkers are not allowed to run. (Rant over 😉)

Last edited:

lukacseven

When I started training for my 1st Marathon at WDW last year (that I sadly missed) I combined Galloway's run/walk method with Hal Gideon's as the miles started adding up. I actually ran faster times overall with added 1 minute walks after 3miles.

I've never done the Galloway training plan, but in 2018, for Goofy, I used the timer and ran with a Galloway pace group for the marathon. I made it until WWoS before I dropped off. Definitely was an effective strategy because I had only really trained for the half.

I've never seen or heard of a separate walker registration. I've done some races where race walking was a division. I also feel like runDisney has done a much better job than most races with controlling walkers and at least enforcing corral assignments. I know there's been some controversy over proof of time and placement, but again, other races are much worse.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

THIS. I was near someone who was very audibly complaining that walkers are not runners and shouldn't get a medal. I told this person that if it wasn't for run/walk I'd never be a "runner" or be able to finish a distance greater than a 10k.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom