Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

lukacseven

Yes they really need to spruce things up.....

I don't think there is one single reason the registrations were down but several little things.

First and foremost I do think the runDisney running craze has died down a little. This is probably contributed by them letting some things slip. But some things that could help the marathon.....

Make every year special, start themes for the races. I think some people are holding out for anniversary years, because they have made them unique. The big five could still be the mascots but at least make it Donald's "Haunted Half" for example. That way people do not want to miss out. And after the first year don't reveal the themes.

I mean how many people have to complain before they remove WWOS from the course?

Does the early time knock some folks out? Could you push it back an hour later?

Offering free admission for one park one day would be a nice perk to bring back.

Changing up, adding more rare characters. This past year was better than the past but not as great as it used to be. Give people something to post about.

Things as simple as improving the swag like it used to be. Offering samples of items instead of just giving the t-shirts.

A hotel/dinning discount for Dopey/Goofy runners.

other thoughts?
I think a course change is needed. Seems like people really liked the dual start Epcot morning & the racetrack. Can't do the track anymore, but they seem hell-bent on showcasing WWoS and the majority of runners seem to dislike this portion of the course. I don't think changing the start time will work. Currently, it's based solely on the ability to be able to clear MK of spectators and clean up Main St. for rope drop. Would it kill them to open the park an hour later 2 days out of the year so they can start the race at 6:30? Not sure.

Perks definitely need to come back. For the cost of the races, they should offer something more.

I would be interested to know how many runners are repeat participants. Do the same people run Goofy or Dopey every year? How many are once and done? Even other races, for instance - how many people run their one and only marathon or half in their lifetime? How many keep coming back? What percentages of finishers are first -timers? have run it once before? Same race or different race? How many finishers have done 5-10 runDisney events? 10 or more?

lukacseven

Marathon weekend will not go through SWGE but look for a new race course for Star Wars weekend in 2020. Speculation: Start at WWoS, run through SWGE, get out before the stampede. Even better would be a night race.
My question to Disney is if we can't run through Pandora because of crowds, then there's no chance in teh next decade, we'll get to run through SWGE, unless it's when the park is closed to guests. What on earth are they going to do when GotG opens in Epcot - that's dangerously close to the finish line and the park is open with runners moving through in both the half and full. Uh oh!

Greenlawler

I would be interested to know how many runners are repeat participants. Do the same people run Goofy or Dopey every year? How many are once and done? Even other races, for instance - how many people run their one and only marathon or half in their lifetime? How many keep coming back? What percentages of finishers are first -timers? have run it once before? Same race or different race? How many finishers have done 5-10 runDisney events? 10 or more?

I have seen numbers on this, I think they are somewhere......maybe @Texas84 knows?

Texas84

My question to Disney is if we can't run through Pandora because of crowds, then there's no chance in teh next decade, we'll get to run through SWGE, unless it's when the park is closed to guests. What on earth are they going to do when GotG opens in Epcot - that's dangerously close to the finish line and the park is open with runners moving through in both the half and full. Uh oh!
W&D and Star Wars go through Pandora at about 4.5 miles. So they have about 90 minutes maybe to get everyone through there. I'm through Pandora before sunrise (and it's awesome) and don't know what happens at the back.

Didn't even think about GotG. That will be bad but it won't be SWGE levels. How was it when Frozen opened?

lukacseven

W&D and Star Wars go through Pandora at about 4.5 miles. So they have about 90 minutes maybe to get everyone through there. I'm through Pandora before sunrise (and it's awesome) and don't know what happens at the back.

Didn't even think about GotG. That will be bad but it won't be SWGE levels. How was it when Frozen opened?
My understanding is that W&D are through AK before the park opens. Don't forget - World Showcase opens later than Future World, so the race was going on but the queue is set back enough to not cause any issues. We're talking one ride there, not an entire area of the park.

OG Runner

I run a bit slower and can tell you there are people in the park when I come through Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They do attempt
to block the patrons from getting in the way of the runners. AK is at the halfway mark of the marathon, and I think they could let runners through Pandora, even when I get there. It would entail re-measuring the course. I would love it if they could have us spend a little less time winding through ESPN.

Figment82

I think for the cost of the event, they could throw in some better SWAG. For the Celebration Half a few weeks ago, I paid $75 and received a drawstring backpack, bottle opener, insulated cooler, hat, and a shirt. At the finish they had food and beverage samples from the different restaurants in town. I paid $95 for the Space Coast Half and along with a nice long-sleeve shirt, they have a post-race area with pancakes, pizza, beer, and sodas. My dad loves coming to those events so he can pig out after I run! 😂 Even something like they used to have at the finish area for Race for the Taste would be nice and give a little more “bang for your buck”. The races are just getting too expensive for most with no real perceived value besides getting to run through the parks. I still pay because I’m cuckoo, but at least I don’t have to pay travel/hotel expenses too.

OG Runner

You wonder why Disney would throw in the better SWAG. They have been getting something like 40,000 runners for the events, charging about 3 times as much as any other race. Why cut into the profits? I mean look at what they get even for the cheer squad entries. They get plastic clapping hand and a few other items, for about $90.00. Up until this year, the races were huge. Hopefully, it will be a little bit of a wake up call.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think a course change is needed. Seems like people really liked the dual start Epcot morning & the racetrack. Can't do the track anymore, but they seem hell-bent on showcasing WWoS and the majority of runners seem to dislike this portion of the course. I don't think changing the start time will work. Currently, it's based solely on the ability to be able to clear MK of spectators and clean up Main St. for rope drop. Would it kill them to open the park an hour later 2 days out of the year so they can start the race at 6:30? Not sure.

Perks definitely need to come back. For the cost of the races, they should offer something more.

When you register, you're asked if the race you are registering for it your 1st rD event, so they are collecting the data. Why not do something special for those who have run their 5th, 10th, etc., Dopey or Goofy or the other Challenges? Or even a 10K? Some of us didn't run in the inaugural race, but geez, after spent $300+ 5 years in a row each for Princess, Dark Side and W&D, I expect some type of recognition. A distinctive lanyard would be nice, but I'd be happy with a bib that indicates 2021 will be my 5th Fairy Tale & Dark Side.

I agree that 3 days out of 365, WDW can delay opening MK for an hour. That covers the 2 Marathon weekend races and the Princess Half.

I'm dreading the 2020 SW Half. I expect to see lots of 1st timers who will anticipate a run through Galaxy's Edge. rD better be on their toes for this one.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Both the W&D 5K and Half run through Pandora. It wasn't fun running on that wet slippery surface in the rain.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I don't remember SW Half going through Pandora.

Texas84

I run a bit slower and can tell you there are people in the park when I come through Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They do attempt
to block the patrons from getting in the way of the runners. AK is at the halfway mark of the marathon, and I think they could let runners through Pandora, even when I get there. It would entail re-measuring the course. I would love it if they could have us spend a little less time winding through ESPN.
Problem is the queue backs up on that boardwalk to Africa. No way runners get through that.

dreamfinder

Whoa, that's what I see. Shocking if true. 11,000 less total for the weekend.

Jeepers. Of which there are about 5,000 Dopey finishers and 1,080 Goofy finishers (excluding the Dopeys). So only about 6,000 people ran "just" the full. That 11,941 number compares to 17,755 and 20,092 for 2017 and 2018 respectively.

Yes I think @Texas84 has stats on when races used to sell out. I can remember being on the phone on the day registration opened and not being able to get a 5k spot because it was already sold out. So I ran for charity that year.

Think you are referring to my thread here -> https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rundisney-race-availability-tracker.912442/ It's a bit out of date, but I was surprised when a week before this years weekend I think only the 5k was sold out. That's unheard of.

The registration dates have changed several times. I am just going off my bad memory here but....I believe 09 and 10 registration was open the Monday after. 2011-2016 was some time in April. 2017 they invited runners from 15 to register in February after receiving an email, but it was open to everyone else in April. 2018 was early February. 2019 was July.

Some of the years have the reg open dates in that same tracker thread. But yeah, they have shifted it several times. Paper forms really skewed the process/dates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom