Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
OK Dopey people - time to get real with me. I was on the struggle bus for last weekend's half due to all of the road running. Wine/dine was great because we went through 3 parks. I know there aren't 26.2 miles worth of park running for the full but how bad is it, really? Be honest with me.

PS - the heat/humidity did NOT help last weekend either and I plan on being 25-50lbs lighter by Dopey

lukacseven

OK Dopey people - time to get real with me. I was on the struggle bus for last weekend's half due to all of the road running. Wine/dine was great because we went through 3 parks. I know there aren't 26.2 miles worth of park running for the full but how bad is it, really? Be honest with me.

PS - the heat/humidity did NOT help last weekend either and I plan on being 25-50lbs lighter by Dopey
I'm sure there will be differing opinions, but...I don't mind the start to MK at all. The stretch along Bear Island Rd. from the former racetrack to AK used to be worse. They added some music and characters to help on that portion. It's getting from Floridian Way to the sewage treatment plant. it's also still within the first half of the race, so hopefully fatigue (mental & physical) isn't a factor yet. It's also still cooler in the morning along this stretch, as the sun is just starting to come up and the road is shaded. After exiting AK the stretch along Osceola Parkway is relatively straight with some slight inclines and IMO the most boring part of the course. It's also the longest straightaway on the course. Although there are a few character/music opportunities, there's also park traffic along the road and you start to experience the temperature warming and there is no cover. I'm not a huge fan of the WWoS part of the course, I like to use the part of the course to the far south (after the softball fields and before the baseball quadplex) as a recharge point. This is just shy of mile 20 and I typically start to decline here. Luckily there is a well placed medical tent where I can get Tylenol and there is water/bananas. Champion Stadium provides a lift to get you out of the WWoS Complex and back out onto Osceola Pky. Once there, I feel the remainder of the course is broken up well - The Parkway you pass runners entering WWoS, so it feels good to know you are a few miles ahead of them and I like to people watch. There are the 2 short steep inclines to get you into DHS, but they come with declines. Power up the 'hills' and coast down them & you're in DHS. Spectators cheering you on the majority of the course from there to the finish!

Heat/humidity hopefully won't be as much of a factor in January, as it hasn't been in a few years (except for maybe 2019 and 2007).

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Is it the road surface that you found difficult or that you found it boring not having much to look at?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
it was mentally draining leaving backstage MK knowing I had to run all the way back to EPCOT on the road with little to see...

This seemed to bother me much less last year during the half at WDW than it does at DLP, because I remained energized by the sheer number of participants, even though the countryside which makes up almost two-thirds of the DLP course is really beautiful to run through. Maybe you could make up some games - like counting numbers of how many different character costumes you see, or try to play the ABC game with character costumes you see/pass. In any event, hats off to the Dopey runners - I don’t have it in me for that sort of challenge.

RunningKoen

it was mentally draining leaving backstage MK knowing I had to run all the way back to EPCOT on the road with little to see...
Hate to bring it to you, but the route of the marathon is the same. Instead of going back to Epcot there are quite some miles of road to AK and yeah, the backstage area of the sewer like system isnt the same as a highway to epcot, but both are equally thrilling. If you loops, there's one for over a mile long. All you see is the people before and after you in a stretch of 0.5M

I think you pass the half marathon point inside AK. There's like 0.5M of that first 21.1KM inside the AK, the rest of the park time is in MK and the same route as Princess half. So all other miles are outside on the roads.
Dopey has the same half course as Princess. (sorry!)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hate to bring it to you, but the route of the marathon is the same. Instead of going back to Epcot there are quite some miles of road to AK and yeah, the backstage area of the sewer like system isnt the same as a highway to epcot, but both are equally thrilling. If you loops, there's one for over a mile long. All you see is the people before and after you in a stretch of 0.5M

I think you pass the half marathon point inside AK. There's like 0.5M of that first 21.1KM inside the AK, the rest of the park time is in MK and the same route as Princess half. So all other miles are outside on the roads.
Dopey has the same half course as Princess. (sorry!)

The waste facilities fits in with the SW Half theme - usually some type of photo op at the entrance.

FerretAfros

I've often said that most reasonably-in-shape people can "fake" a half marathon, but there's no way to "fake" a marathon. It's hard work, and even when everything goes right, it will be an exhausting and difficult experience. Training-wise, there's not a ton of differences between the two, other than extending the schedule another 4-6 weeks to get some longer distances, but the half marathon is a mostly-physical race while the marathon is a mental one. It takes a certain amount of stubbornness and internal motivation that shorter distances don't need; I think that's why I love the distance so much myself, but I recognize it's not for everybody.

In some ways, doing Dopey makes the marathon seem slightly easier in comparison. You already have a good feeling for how much life is left in your legs, and you've been conserving your pace for several days. Then again, your legs are already tired and your mind is shot from the lack of sleep. The soreness helps keep you from going out too fast (a very real problem at the marathon distance), but it also makes it very difficult to recover if you fall behind pace (either your personal goal or the required pace)
After exiting AK the stretch along Osceola Parkway is relatively straight with some slight inclines and IMO the most boring part of the course. It's also the longest straightaway on the course. Although there are a few character/music opportunities, there's also park traffic along the road and you start to experience the temperature warming and there is no cover. I'm not a huge fan of the WWoS part of the course, I like to use the part of the course to the far south (after the softball fields and before the baseball quadplex) as a recharge point. This is just shy of mile 20 and I typically start to decline here. Luckily there is a well placed medical tent where I can get Tylenol and there is water/bananas. Champion Stadium provides a lift to get you out of the WWoS Complex and back out onto Osceola Pky.
I agree that this stretch is the worst. Coming out of DAK there's really nothing to distract your mind, and it's during the part of the race when most people tend to start to fall apart anyway. Having WWOS as the next "highlight" to look forward to really isn't terribly inspiring to get me to push through the tough miles, making it about 9 miles from exiting DAK to the next real point of interest at the Studios.

Given that marathon registration dropped so much this year, I'm (foolishly) hopeful that they'll reconsider bringing back the old course, with the early loop through Epcot. That layout did a better job of spacing points of interest evenly along the course, making it easier to break into manageable chunks, and had the highlights more closely-spaced in the second half where you really need the boost.
This seemed to bother me much less last year during the half at WDW than it does at DLP, because I remained energized by the sheer number of participants, even though the countryside which makes up almost two-thirds of the DLP course is really beautiful to run through.
As great as it is to run though the parks at DLP (and the courses are laid out to give runners a TON of park time), I really love getting out in the countryside. While somewhat plain, it's just so lovely out there! It's spread out enough that you can focus on racing if you want, but also scenic enough to keep your mind occupied with the autumn crops and village. It's tough to describe why I like it so much, but it's part of what makes that race really unique and memorable to me

wdwjmp239

@FerretAfros You bring up a number of good points about the Disney Marathon course. I attempted the marathon in 2017 and 2018. In 2017, I almost got 15 miles in, but in 2018, I got injured near WWOS because of a road imperfection when my left leg hit it and I wound up with a hamstring injury. Osceola Parkway is definitely one of those roads that just seems like it's goes on forever. I've heard it called the "Osceola Parkway Death March" because of its length, warmth, and lack of shade. It's also very mentally draining as well as physically challenging because of the warmth (especially if you're a late start from a back corral like I was in).

I think in 2020, I'm going to try the Marathon one more time. I've been running on a road down here in Fort Myers, Florida called Three Oaks Parkway that runs from Alico Road at its northern point to Coconut Road at its southern point for a total of 7.1 miles one way. This is an example of a road that if you run it in the Florida sun, you'll melt into the asphalt. So, I try to run this road early in the morning before the sun comes up, especially now as we're getting into the warmer springtime weather.

I attached some pictures to give you an idea of what I run on. :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@FerretAfros You bring up a number of good points about the Disney Marathon course. I attempted the marathon in 2017 and 2018. In 2017, I almost got 15 miles in, but in 2018, I got injured near WWOS because of a road imperfection when my left leg hit it and I wound up with a hamstring injury. Osceola Parkway is definitely one of those roads that just seems like it's goes on forever. I've heard it called the "Osceola Parkway Death March" because of its length, warmth, and lack of shade. It's also very mentally draining as well as physically challenging because of the warmth (especially if you're a late start from a back corral like I was in).

I think in 2020, I'm going to try the Marathon one more time. I've been running on a road down here in Fort Myers, Florida called Three Oaks Parkway that runs from Alico Road at its northern point to Coconut Road at its southern point for a total of 7.1 miles one way. This is an example of a road that if you run it in the Florida sun, you'll melt into the asphalt. So, I try to run this road early in the morning before the sun comes up, especially now as we're getting into the warmer springtime weather.

I attached some pictures to give you an idea of what I run on. :)View attachment 354345View attachment 354346View attachment 354347View attachment 354348

We've got a road up in my part of Florida that's almost 13.1 miles in one direction - local running club used it for the annual Marathon until the crowd exceeded the road's capacity. It's an old rail road track that was donated and turned into a nice path, asphalt and most of it is canopied with trees. Bathroom at the trail head, bathrooms every couple of miles, miles are marked, benches to stretch, etc. It's where I go to put in some long miles (like the Virtual Half). Very popular with bikers.

Weather in Florida in a few weeks is why we turn to running on the dreadmill.

Texas84

The part through WWoS never ends. When I pass it will be my hell. Frankly, I did Dopeys for the bling.

lukacseven

Mapped out running a modified version of the course backwards...Same start & finish lines...Add SWGE +Pandora, use new access roads, reduce WWoS, eliminate turnarounds, Epcot entry same as half with WS added.

Attachments

• 2020_Course.JPG
    2020_Course.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 219

lukacseven

Whatever happens, with the planned redo of the Epcot entrance, course will have to change over the next year.
It didn't appear that the Epcot work would affect the course - it looks to be concentrated between the entry and SSE. I'm not sure they are doing work at the backstage entrance by the bus drop-off or by the restrooms where you exit to approach the finish line.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Back to my original gripe about the Princess half course. Unless rD changes the course(s) for #Dopey2020 it looks like I'll be running the same 13.1 as I did for Princess 2019 and ALMOST the same 13.1 course for the full (save the turn towards AK)?

I would have to mentally train for that boring route 2 days in a row. Osceola parkway for some reason didn't bother me during wine/dine

lukacseven

Back to my original gripe about the Princess half course. Unless rD changes the course(s) for #Dopey2020 it looks like I'll be running the same 13.1 as I did for Princess 2019 and ALMOST the same 13.1 course for the full (save the turn towards AK)?

I would have to mentally train for that boring route 2 days in a row. Osceola parkway for some reason didn't bother me during wine/dine
Unfortunately, the January half course hasn't changed in at least 12 years...and yes, now the full is the same from the start to mile 8.6, when you turn off onto Bear Island Road. Same exact route both days - deja vu!
Osceola Parkway for the full is much later in the course, and like someone else mentioned you don't have much to look forward to until DHS. WWoS does seem to go on forever and when you finally leave the parking lot, it seems like forever to get back out on the Parkway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom